Emt's must get there associate's degree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Okay, the point has been made about the grammar issue.

Get back on topic.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
We can only judge you on the things you say and how you say them. When you are arguing that increased education standards are ridiculous and have terrible English it makes it hard to take you seriously. You disproved your own argument. Not because of what you said, but how you said it. Poor spelling and grammar makes a person look uneducated. Since your opinion is that more education is unnecessary, appearing uneducated completely undermines your point.

OP
OP
B

Blake

Forum Crew Member
A couple of quick corrections.
thing's=thing is -or- denoting possession by thing
medic's=medic is -or- denoting possession by the medic

I think you mean "things" and "medics". Making a word plural only requires adding the letter 's' to the end of it. An apostrophe s makes a contraction or denotes possession.

the_more_you_know2_My_Brain_its_melting-s549x362-109558-580.jpg

Your cool. How will that help me in the field?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Knock it off!

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief

Aw, thanks!

Consider the following- your PCRs are legal documents. There is a chance that at some point in your EMS career you will be called to testify in court about the care of a patient. Having correct grammar and spelling on a legal document should be a high priority.

OP
OP
B

Blake

Forum Crew Member
Aw, thanks!

Consider the following- your PCRs are legal documents. There is a chance that at some point in your EMS career you will be called to testify in court about the care of a patient. Having correct grammar and spelling on a legal document should be a high priority.

No, how could your smart remark help me? This is not a PCR this is a website.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
No, how could your smart remark help me? This is not a PCR this is a website.

Er, the above message from the forum moderator says to cut out the chat on grammar. I'll heed his advice.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
signadmin1.gif

You do not want to become the focus of my complete and undivided attention, so this is your last chance to get back on topic and knock off the grammar debate.

This is for EVERYBODY involved.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief

EDIT: Written before the warning FFEMT, and I couldn't care less about the grammar issue, but my point below is that education in medicine, math, science, and (YES) English is important...

Case in point. It is "You're cool"; as in YOU ARE. That is kind of the point with the whole education topic. As a Paperwork Nazi, I have to say that this sort of thing on paperwork that is being called in on a court case will not look good. Beyond that, it is a symptom of a larger issue; there is so much more beneficial to having a solid, well-rounded education that can not be completely quantified. English, math, sociology, ethics, geography, chemistry, psychology, etc... how can these things not benefit a Medical Provider as a person? Additional courses in Cardiology, A&P, Psychology, Chemistry, etc can only benefit the patient.

Now, this is just the personal beliefs of a person that has worked with the EMT-Mills products and the AS Degree EMTs, and has realized that never finishing my college career the first time around was STUPID. Despite any opinion you have now, accept the fact that your perception will likely change in 5, 10, 20 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I'm still waiting to see a source link that says a degree is going to be required for an EMT.

Until then, it is just a matter of 3rd person or higher hearsay.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The ideal minimum standard would be an Associates for EMT . The EMT being more in line with Intermediate. And a Bs or for Medic. There would obviously be a number of years where scope and protocols would be adjusted to allow current EMTs or Medics to transition. If we want better wages, scope or whatever we can't sit on our butts and accept being the minimum allowable standard.
This will In turn make you valuable, as you won't be a dime a dozen. The Medic mills will most likely be gone as programs will be university based.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Offering a degree and requiring a degree are not the same thing.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I still stand by my ideal world that EMT-B will disappear and become Paramedic practicing at the ILS level with an minimum of an AAS and that the ALS level will be Advanced Paramedic or something of the sorts with a BS as a minimum.

You could even model a degree program off of a nursing degree with the specialty nursing classes swapped for prehospital specialty classes. The only problem I see with that is that when you compare an ADN to a BSN the biggest difference is more management type classes from what I have been able to discern but this may vary from program to program. If eventually we were to go to a AAS/BS for ILS/ALS I'd be interested to see what they would add on the the AAS.

I have to give JP some credit for this one as well since he pointed out how using the single unified title of "Paramedic" would alleviate the confusion between EMT/Paramedic/Ambulance Driver/Gurney Jockey/Whatever people out there call us.

edit: Apparently Tim and I agree on the subject. I guess now I really do have to figure out how to get this degree I keep talking about otherwise everyone is going to call me a hypocrite!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I'm not disagreeing...I just haven't seen any proof of what was claimed in the first post.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm not disagreeing...I just haven't seen any proof of what was claimed in the first post.

I'm still wondering how they would go about bringing existing providers up to the required educational standards if programs like this were implemented. It's not going to be overnight of course but to make it happen with unusual and often unpredictable schedules of EMS could be difficult, not to mention the cost to the provider or their agency.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Not to mention the political fecal matter storm that the IAFF and others would raise.

Along with what it would do to emergency service providers in rural areas that still rely on volunteer services.

But both of those are different topics that belong in their own thread.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Not to mention the political fecal matter storm that the IAFF and others would raise.

Along with what it would do to emergency service providers in rural areas that still rely on volunteer services.

Agreed.

It would definitely be the event that would completely draw the line between the fire service and EMS.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief

So, where is the source, Glock Boy??? Sounds interesting if it is true, but until the source is seen, any argument or opinion is pointless.

Agreed.

It would definitely be the event that would completely draw the line between the fire service and EMS.

"The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! And *I* will make them pay for what they've done." -Captain Jean-Luc Picard, 2373 or 2063 depending on your perspective.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
So, where is the source, Glock Boy??? Sounds interesting if it is true, but until the source is seen, any argument or opinion is pointless.

I'm not the one that made the claim a degree would be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.