EMTLife Vitals Hall of Fame

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
The only extreme values I've seen so far were in animals.

Fastest heartrate I've seen on an ECG monitor was over 300 bpm from a rat during surgery.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm curious what the BAC of patients treated for ethylene glycol ODs reach. There was a case report of a patient in Australia who required so much EtOH that the hospital pharmacy ran out and had to send someone to buy vodka from a local liquor store.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
BP >300/270

Pt was sitting bolt upright and speaking in a robot voice while referring to herself in the third person.

Making a name up: "Barbara has a headache. Barbara is an alcoholic." :eek:

Becomes unresponsive then starts posturing...massive subarachnoid bleed. :sad:

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
the hospital pharmacy ran out and had to send someone to buy vodka from a local liquor store.

The smartass in me wants to know if the cheap ghetto vodka in the plastic bottles would do, or of some middle or top shelf brand would be in order. :lol:

medicman14

Forum Crew Member
Had a pt with a head injury that we couldn't get a BP on, because even taking the cuff up to 300, you immediately heard the beats as soon as you started deflating the cuff. The ER thought we were full of crap when we told them his pressure was 300+ systolic, until they did it themselves and got the same results.

I've seen two patients that were off the scale of the bp cuff.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Nope. I'm quite positive it was 39.7. None of us had ever seen. ABG was repeated by the RTs twice. He died shortly after.

I'm melting, melting...

nancy-pelosi-wicked-witch-west-wizard-of-oz-im-melting-witch-melts-sad-hill-news2.jpg

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
Diabetic who read 'LO' on glucometer, meaning <20mg/DL on our machine...walking and talking to me...totally with it. No complaints.

'No freakin' way.' Checked it again. No S#%T!?

Sugared her up to a whopping 25mg/DL by the time we arrived at the hospital.

I double checked her sugar and used two separate glucometers...twice.

Things like this make this thread possible.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Diabetic who read 'LO' on glucometer, meaning <20mg/DL on our machine...walking and talking to me...totally with it. No complaints.

'No freakin' way.' Checked it again. No S#%T!?

Sugared her up to a whopping 25mg/DL by the time we arrived at the hospital.

I double checked her sugar and used two separate glucometers...twice.

Things like this make this thread possible.

I had an insulinoma on my placenta during one of my pregnancies. My sugar would get freaky low (8 mg/dL) and I was sluggish, but still awake.

Crazy.

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
I had an insulinoma on my placenta during one of my pregnancies. My sugar would get freaky low (8 mg/dL) and I was sluggish, but still awake.

Crazy.

Is the mg/dL the standard measurement for blood glucose in the states? I was trained with mmol/l. It was a bit confusing at first as to why someone was noting a sugar of 8 as low, regular glucose in mmol/l is 3.8-7.0. :lol:

Anjel

Forum Angel
Is the mg/dL the standard measurement for blood glucose in the states? I was trained with mmol/l. It was a bit confusing at first as to why someone was noting a sugar of 8 as low, regular glucose in mmol/l is 3.8-7.0. :lol:

Ya. I think 8mg is .3mol

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Correct.

It's even more entertaining when a patient is here in the US from a Commonwealth country with a meter that measures in mmols.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
New one. 445 days as an inpatient and 97 discharging diagnosis...

Last edited by a moderator:

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
A heart rate of 312, Patient hit an R-on-T pvc went into VT/Torsades for about 45 seconds before going into V fib.

We had another patient who was a DNR who was in V fib for 27 mins before finally going asystole.