EMT working as a Care Giver.

Vanenix

Forum Crew Member
Hello,

I am wondering if I would have any issues in renewing my Los Angeles County and National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician Certificate if I am currently working as a Hospice Care Giver. I have submitted my EMT Certificate to my employer which he might be needed me in taking care of a critical patient that a regular care giver cannot do.
However, my title would be Private Care Giver not Emergency Medical Technician.
I believe that I am still using my scope of practice and the pay is good better than the pay in the Ambulance, and Doctor's Office. I have no worries this year because my NREMT and LA-EMT license will expire on 2013. It is tough to find an Ambulance and Hospital job due to recession and too much job competitive here in Los Angeles, and so I have chosen this career which is also related to my license. I also have other certificates such as Certified Care Giver, and Certified Cardiac Monitor Technician in order to qualify for this job.
I have renewed my NREMT and LA-EMT once, and it would be my second time renewing my license on 2013.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

mike1390

Forum Captain
no. you can work at a peanut factory and still renew your certs as long as you have the right amount of CEs. It does not matter what your actual profession is.

OP
OP
V

Vanenix

Forum Crew Member
Regards on CE's, are you talking about the 24 hours EMT Refresher Course that some EMT usually take to renew there license?

JPINFV

Gadfly
no. you can work at a peanut factory and still renew your certs as long as you have the right amount of CEs. It does not matter what your actual profession is.
That's not 100% accurate as NREMT requires registrants renewing for the first time to be affiliated with an agency and using their EMT skills. This, however, does not apply to the OP as he's already renewed once.

mike1390

Forum Captain
exactly thats why I said that. I was gunna just post the link to the NREMT website which took all of 1 min to find but I thought I would try to throw some humor in there.

OP
OP
V

Vanenix

Forum Crew Member
I have passed my NREMT last 2009 and got my NREMT and LA-EMT license.
Then, I worked in the hospital and several ambulances until my 1st issued license expired last March 2011. Then, I have renewed my 2nd issued license and it will expire on 2013.
I got tired working in Ambulance Companies because they pay us minimum wage: $70-$90 a day. (Better to work in Fast food restaurant).
Now, I am working as a Hospice Care Giver using my EMT License and I am getting paid $120-$300 a day (2X to 3X earning than working in the ambulance).

Last edited by a moderator:

mike1390

Forum Captain
I have passed my NREMT last 2009 and got my .
I got tired working in Ambulance Companies because they pay us minimum wage: $70-$90 a day. (Better to work in Fast food restaurant).
Now, I am working as a Hospice Care Giver using my EMT License and I am getting paid $120-$300 a day (2X to 3X earning than working in the ambulance).

70-90$ a day???
what company? even with minimum wage $8.00/hr
for a 12 hr shift its $112 cause your earning 12/hr after 8hrs.

so if your working more than 3 days a week your base pay for anything over that 3rd shift will be $12/hr.

not to mention the experience of actually working on a ambulance... just sayin.

mike1390

Forum Captain
false but ok. I can go on craigslist and find probably 5 ambulance jobs that pay more than min wage.

mike1390

Forum Captain
after reading your previous posts in a number of threads it sounds like your holding a grudge against Ambulance companies after being fired from one for poor performance. Also some info your providing people about how they need to be a ff/medic to get hired because the LAFD only hires 3 out of 3500 applicants is beyond false.... but I digress, you need to realize that EMS in LA is not a career its a stepping stone to something better, ie: fire depts, medic school, nursing school, PA school, law enforcement. Ambulance companies know this thats why they can pay what they do.

JD9940

Forum Probie
after reading your previous posts in a number of threads it sounds like your holding a grudge against Ambulance companies after being fired from one for poor performance. Also some info your providing people about how they need to be a ff/medic to get hired because the LAFD only hires 3 out of 3500 applicants is beyond false.... but I digress, you need to realize that EMS in LA is not a career its a stepping stone to something better, ie: fire depts, medic school, nursing school, PA school, law enforcement. Ambulance companies know this thats why they can pay what they do.

quoting for truth