EMT weight lift requirements

OP
OP
M

meusveritas

Forum Probie
Thnx

Thanks! I hate how so many people I have seen have told me I won't be able to lift that. I'm saying, "no, i just need to know HOW to get there and faster than normally." I finally found the right people who believe I can get there quickly and are helping out. So far I have made progress, am sore, but PROGRESS! Yay. Hopefully I am there is 6 weeks. My supervisor is great too, offering advice and such as well as holding my spot for now.
I have a background in physical therapy/ athletic training and I know how to lift. There are many girls smaller than you, and me, in the field that can lift.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks for the advice. I am eating a lot of protein and will make sure I am eating enough to stay healthy and gain the muscle. I have to be able to dead lift 140lbs and lift that up to a line on the wall which for me, I must go on my toes to reach. Also, I have to dead lift 120lbs and walk up and down a flight of stairs. These are the two things I failed on my first lift test.

That seems a bit much, never heard of such a requirement. Usually it is like 50 lbs or so. Wow.

kaisardog

Forum Crew Member
I googled osha weight lifting requirements:

Issue: When applying for a position with a local ambulance service, potential employees are required to perform certain physical tests, the last of which is carrying a 160-pound weight up and down five flights of stairs three times.

Question: Is there a policy or guide which states the maximum weight a person may lift?

Reply: OSHA does not have a standard which sets limits on how much a person may lift or carry. However, a sister agency, the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), has developed a mathematical model which helps predict the risk of injury based on the weight being lifted and accounts for many confounding factors. The model is based on previous medical research into the compressive forces needed to cause damage to bones and ligaments of the back.

NIOSH has shown through research that a lifting index greater than 3.0 can clearly be linked to an increased risk of back and other injuries. Based on the conditions you described, and assuming ideal conditions for grip, twisting and the other factors in the equation, the NIOSH Lifting Equation gives a lifting index of 3.1. This would classify the lift as a highly-stressful lift and would indicate that nearly all workers would be at an increased risk of injury when carrying 160 pounds. The Applications Manual for the Revised NIOSH Lifting Equation can be found on the NIOSH website listed below. It should be noted however, that the NIOSH criteria are not mandatory.

While OSHA does not have a standard written specifically for the problem you raised, employee exposure to hazards related to heavy lifting and back injuries can be addressed under Section 5(a)(1) of the OSH Act, commonly referred to as the General Duty Clause. The General Duty cause states that:
Each employer -- shall furnish to each of his employees employment and a place of employment which are free from recognized hazards that are causing or are likely to cause death or serious physical harm to his employees;
In practical terms, the General Duty Clause says that if an employer knowingly exposes their employees to a recognized hazardous condition, then that employer may be in violation of the OSH Act.

If you would like more information on lifting hazards both OSHA and NIOSH have information on their respective web sites which can be found at:
OSHA: www.osha.gov/SLTC/ergonomics/index.html
NIOSH: www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/ergonomics/default.html#lift

summary: the 160# emt lifting standard poses a real danger to your back... stay safe.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Except she doesn't have to lift 160lbs, she has to lift 140. A very realistic weight in this business. And since your employer can't stop fat people from calling 911, OSHA/NIOSH don't have a lot of room to get involved.

The test she is describing is the one used by AMR. If it wasn't "legal" I'm pretty sure they would have heard about it by now. Same thing about lifting anything over 160lbs. There is a huge difference between what are realistic restrictions for someone working in a warehouse, and someone working in EMS.

160lbs really is not that heavy for a deadlift style lift. If you think it is, I welcome you to come to my gym and say that out loud.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Except she doesn't have to lift 160lbs, she has to lift 140. A very realistic weight in this business. And since your employer can't stop fat people from calling 911, OSHA/NIOSH don't have a lot of room to get involved.

When a pt weighs 300+lbs meaning you and your partner each get 150+lbs of pt weight, gurney and other equipment, that's when I have no problem calling for a lift assist. Not to mention most pts I've run into that weigh that much generally need the bariatric gurney anyway.

OP
OP
M

meusveritas

Forum Probie
Thnx

Thanks for looking up everything in OSHA! I do believe my lift and the requirements are safe, just difficult for me, my current strength and build. I met with my Dr before beginning training and he cleared me for working up to this lift. I worked a music festival before this as a temp and had to pull patients out of mosh pits, carry girls who had passed out, control seizures, and carry my 85 lbs pack a couple miles a day. That is why I was surprised at how far I had to come. Lifting is a part of this job, a job I want to be good and prepared for. I am grateful for everyone's comments and keep them coming! Even if I don't meet my 6 week goal, I am going to continue my training until I do and can officially land this job and be an equal partner. I appreciate the research and advice to make sure I do this safely and efficiently. I know it may sound silly to some of the guys I talk to, like it's not that much. But my trainer said he would be having a rough time if he had to lift more than his weight, so that makes me feel less weak :)

Arovetli

Forum Captain
Much of what OSHA and NIOSH do is establish recommendations to promote and standardize industrial safety.

Your standard duties as a first responder will have limited coverage and many exemptions with these agencies. For your purposes in EMS, the GDC is much more limited than you are suggesting. More along the lines of not posting you inside a station with a pot of sulfuric acid bubbling than dictating a weight limit to lift. Unless it was some egregious and blatantly unsafe act you were being forced to do.

OSHA regs are a bit of a swamp, be careful wading in there. But kudos for taking the time to research.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidey

But my trainer said he would be having a rough time if he had to lift more than his weight, so that makes me feel less weak :)

I'm sorry, but your trainer is placating you if he is taking about the deadlift. There is no reason that a healthy person shouldn't be able to deadlift at least their own weight, if not a lot more.

OP
OP
M

meusveritas

Forum Probie
Thnx

I'm sorry, but your trainer is placating you if he is taking about the deadlift. There is no reason that a healthy person shouldn't be able to deadlift at least their own weight, if not a lot more.

That's funny, I guess I've been bull:censored::censored::censored::censored:ted a lot cuz I have a bunch of big guys saying they would have trouble lifting 240lbs when they weigh 220lbs. I guess it has been established here then that I am not the healthiest person since it isn't easy for me to lift more than my weight. Everyone has their opinions and I just want advice on lifting, not so much speculation on who is supportive or just blowing smoke. Should I NOT feel better when I have been told that YES this IS difficult? I don't know. I hate ego contests. I think I'm signing off. Thanks for the support from those who have given it. I may post again once I have reached my goal.

Aidey

The reason I am telling you this is not an ego thing, or to make you feel bad about your height, weight or strength level. It is to show you that the people are feeding you crap. I am a 5'6'' female and I can deadlift 240lbs. There is no reason that with proper training you shouldn't be able to lift a heck of a lot more than you can now. One of the women at my gym is probably 5'10 and 145lbs and she can deadlift 255lbs. Another woman who is probably 5'6 and 180lbs can deadlift 345lbs.

I definitely do not think you should feel better that people keep telling you it is crazy hard. If I were you I would be pissed people are underestimating me as much as they are. Like many people have said, proper technique goes a long way, and you may be able to increase your lift by a significant amount just by improving your technique. You're untrained, that isn't the same as unhealthy.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
Deadlifts, squats, farmer's walk. Don't need the exorbitant amount of money for a trainer or crossfit. There is no secret to getting strong; it's simply diet and focused, consistent training.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
A respectable number for squats and deadlifts are body weightx1.5 and body weightX2 respectively, in my opinion.

I'm not saying your trainer sucks if he can't lift his own body weight with the deadlift, but he's definitely extremely weak.

Mariemt

Forum Captain
We had to dead lift 50 pounds. Balance on one foot blah blah. The reason for this is we respond with 3. If we have to lift over 150 pounds total off the floor, we are instructed to call assist. On a bed we can draw sheet etc. The reason being is in this small town, assist is a few minutes away and nobody needs to get hurt. Most patients can pivot, most are in a bed already and most the time police show. Many times the medic comes to scene . So it isn't usual to have to lift over 200+ directly off the floor ( yes it happens but in 4 minutes I can get assist) We do not want injuries of any kind.