EMT T-Shirt

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Is it against the law to wear these without actually being a EMT? If so can I wear one if I have passed the national registry but still don't have a job?

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
I wore my school shirts all the time while still in school, and between passing school and registry, and after passing registry but before getting my county cert, and before getting a job....

Just don't tell anyone you're actually with the ambulance until you are

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
If you have passed registry then you are considered a EMT right? So if I need to help someone is it best just not to say anything and help them, or say I am a EMT do you need some help?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Each State makes the determination of what is acceptable to display EMT or other certification. In my state one has to take the NREMT initially, but does not require it afterwords (changing to being required next year).

R/r 911

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Depends on your area. Here, I only get involved if they're pretty bad, then they tend to fall under implied consent. I haven't had a situation since becoming certified, but, usually it's an issue of identifying yourself to PD or on duty EMS as "off duty" and leave it at that. If you identify yourself as an EMT while off duty, they tend to think you represent the ambulance, or official response.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
About the same as if I were to walk into the local military surplus store and buy a Marine or Army Sniper shirt and start wearing it around. Or, how about the t-shirts for the SAR teams I'm not apart of that I wear? Ever see someone wearing a fire shirt get questioned about if they're really a firefighter?

Those are non-official tees, as far as I know, my mom could wear one....

::mutters:: ricky ::end mutter::

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Maybe it's personal preference and discomfort, but I always thought that wearing anything with "EMT", "EMS", "Paramedic" or a star of life off-duty opens you up to huge risk. This may not be a problem for you, but wearing it in public gives you a duty to act in most cases-- if someone sees you, they may mistake you as being in uniform, and they are likely to think you are trained to help, and assume you will help, when, in most cases, you cant help.
There is nothing legally wrong with it, T-shirts can say whatever they want, no certification required.

It's worth noting that most state patches and I know the NREMT patch is a trademark. You can only display it with authorization (c-card). On the NREMT website, you need to verify your certification before they let you buy anything.
Note: The NREMT will only fill orders for items ordered by EMTs who are properly certified at the level specified on the selected items.

I personally am very careful about what I wear off-duty. As soon as my shift is over, I take off my duty shift. I dont want anyone to see me driving my POV and assume I have an ambulance in the back of my car.

I do wear EMS clothing off-duty when I am on my college campus. Almost everyone who knows me knows that I am an EMT, and even if I see or encounter something, I have a duty to act on campus. Last night, in fact, a friend called me over asking for a curbside consult, which I generally do not do (ever, but esp when in uniform). I was on call at the time, so came over, but immediately paged out the rest of the crew. The patient ended up getting ALS'ed to the hospital, and I am glad I didnt hesitate to act.

Here's where I see the difference. Nobody is going to stop and insist on treatment from someone in an Army t-shift. What can a bystander expect from someone in a fire department t-shirt if they clearly arent with an engine?

Just my $.02

Good Luck!

DES

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't wear anything off duty (except to and from work, but off duty I remove my id/name badge and just keep the shirt) and no one ever knows if I am an EMT or not. Good way to keep it since there is usually litte I can do that someone with a cell phone can't.

Freedom of experession allows you to wear whatever T-shirt you want as long as you uhave no intent to misrepresent yourself as something you are not (you can wear that army shirt, but if you start telling people you are in the army or your actions cause you to be viewed by a resonable person as part of the army then you misrepresenting yourself). NREMT is a registered trademark and they only allow you to wear their gear (read: license you to display their logo) if you have an active card.

Note: License in the paragraph above is used in the trademark sense of the word and not in the EMT licensure sense, i know that NREMT certifies, not licenses.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
pre whacker syndrome can be rough. there should be a support group....

MedicMeJJB

Forum Crew Member
I had to show my cert card to get EMT shirts at one store, but then if you go on ebay or any where online you can buy whatever you want. I doubt someone is going to approach you and ask for your EMS ID if you wear the shirt. But be prepared to act if you are walking by an accident with that thing on.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
pre whacker syndrome can be rough. there should be a support group....

So wearing the shirt makes me a whacker? I am not going to be out looking for trouble wearing it everyday. My wife got it for me so I need to wear it once in a while. I hope to get a job with a service soon as I find something out about registry.

MedicMeJJB

Forum Crew Member
You're not a whacker.. I wear my EMT shirts all the time, I'm always at work or going there anyhow. If you're a whacker, I'm a whacker, there are things worse!

MedicMeJJB

Forum Crew Member
Well since it's all supported information and all, I guess I'll start the whacker support group.

MedicMeJJB

Forum Crew Member
I put your name right on the list, you will get your EMT shirt in the mail in 4-6 weeks. :p

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
the practice of attempting to establish the soonest date when you can legally/ethically start wearing ems logo gear is beyond the shadow of a doubt a sign of pre whackerdom. but dont fret. this is when the disease is easy to cure.

theres not much wrong with wearing a corp or logo t shirt; but having drawers full of them, never being seen without something that identifies you, and this case where you just cant wait to put it on. they are all signs. next comes lights,first in bags, radio antennas on the mini van, 1000 dollar scopes and full sleeves of ems tatoos.

MedicMeJJB

Forum Crew Member
Man KEV... are you stalking me? How did you know all of that about me?