EMT seen on video beating restrained 17-year-old boy

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Well....not good, but he was thugging hard.

Djackson

Forum Ride Along
she must have been trying to get implied consent. LoL

OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Ga. town wants to end AMR contract after EMT assaults patient
After an EMT was shown punching a teen patient in an ambulance, city council officials want the state to give Dunwoody its own EMS certificate

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/dun...t-with-ambulance-service-after-shocking-video
This has been a long time coming. Dunwoody is in Dekalb County, which AMR has the primary 911 contract for. AMR has missed contractually obligated response times and has been struggling to get an adequate number of trucks on the road for a while now. Low morale, chronically understaffed, holdovers, low pay, unlimited OT with calls/texts 3-4x a day asking staff to come in and work. This is probably just the straw that broke the came's back, but from people working in and around that system, I was told AMR was going to lose the contract soon a couple of months ago.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
This behavior is crap and I hope she is charged.

I also hope someone tells that cop getting spit on is not just "part of the job." Yes it happens, but we shouldn't just accept that.

OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

Dunwoody is in Dekalb County, which AMR has the primary 911 contract for. AMR has missed contractually obligated response times and has been struggling to get an adequate number of trucks on the road for a while now. Low morale, chronically understaffed, holdovers, low pay, unlimited OT with calls/texts 3-4x a day asking staff to come in and work.
Not to go on too much of a tangent but 1) you get what you pay for 2) running your own service WILL be more expensive than out sourcing it to AMR 3) I doubt Dunwoody will be able to handle surges in call volume as wel l as AMR (meaning, sending another AMR unit vs using mutual aid) 4) I fully support government (whether it be municipal or county) running your own EMS system, and funding it properly, instead of using an outsourced system and then complaining when you don't pay them enough to provide enough resources to do the job.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Not to go on too much of a tangent but 1) you get what you pay for 2) running your own service WILL be more expensive than out sourcing it to AMR 3) I doubt Dunwoody will be able to handle surges in call volume as wel l as AMR (meaning, sending another AMR unit vs using mutual aid) 4) I fully support government (whether it be municipal or county) running your own EMS system, and funding it properly, instead of using an outsourced system and then complaining when you don't pay them enough to provide enough resources to do the job.
It'll be interesting to see what happens seeing as Dunwoody is a relatively small city without a fire department. Dekalb County Fire used to do all EMS transports before this AMR contract, but I'm not sure what Dunwoody can do on its own if the whole county doesn't follow suit.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Wow, that sure is ugly.

I am curious about something though: videos very similar to this regularly surface in the media showing cops using what appears to be obviously excessive force against restrained individuals. Whenever this happens, there is often a large chorus defending the cops, using the reasoning that "you weren't there, you don't know what actually happened" and "that short video doesn't tell the whole story". The general idea being that, as bad as it looks, there must have been some justification for it.

Why don't extend the same presumption of (at least "relative") innocence to EMS folks?

chriscemt

Forum Lieutenant
Why don't extend the same presumption of (at least "relative") innocence to EMS folks?

At least in terms of what the video "shows" it could have been argued that the patient initiated a violent confrontation and the EMT's response while possibly unwarranted, etc...

What the video shows is a fully restrained patient being punched in the face due to the EMT's petulance.

(in sorta roundabout way, in reference to your previous, unquoted comments, that's what I see)

OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

videos very similar to this regularly surface in the media showing cops using what appears to be obviously excessive force against restrained individuals
Speaking only for myself, I support most of the actions of law enforcement, and will usually give them the benefit of doubt. If they are fight with someone and said person gets hurts, that's one thing. If the restrained person is still fighting, throwing the cops around, that's still one thing. if said individual's upper and lower extremities are retrained, and the cop is repeatedly punching said individual, than I don't see a large chorus of people defending the cops. What you view as excessive force is one thing, and is often a subjective assessment; repeatedly punching a 4 point restrained individual is completely different situation
Did you watch the video? Lets see you try to justify her actions, because I can't.

I support EMS (innocent until proven guilty), especially without all the facts.... But in this case, I think the video speaks for itself.

Djackson

Forum Ride Along
Not always.
the emt was wrong hitting this kid was cowardly and unprofessional even more that he was restrained .. but to end with my smart *** comment... can you imagine how big this story would have been if the EMT was a honky.

Djackson

Forum Ride Along
She obviously had a bad day.. but i understand the anger.. Have you ever had someone spit in your face? I have... There is always that quick reaction to slap the fecal matter out of them... Her reaction was wrong but ... I totally get it

BobBarker

Forum Lieutenant
Unbelievable. Although her EMS career is likely over, she is lucky she was only charged with battery/assault, most likely misdemeanors. Her first time offense, probably ends up costing her probation and anger management classes. She could have been charged with child abuse as the child was under 18. That would have been a little different.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
the emt was wrong hitting this kid was cowardly and unprofessional even more that he was restrained .. but to end with my smart *** comment... can you imagine how big this story would have been if the EMT was a honky.
What's a honky?