EMT questions

emily1024

Forum Probie
i have a few questions
how hard is it to find a job working as an EMT or Paramedic?
how long do you work?
how much do you get paid?
do you have time for yourself or is is always work?
which is better to go for EMT or EMT-B?

thank you :)

VentMonkey

Family Guy
i have a few questions
Varies from area to area. Not very hard where I am at.
how long do you work?
The hours vary from service to service. We work anything from 8's, 12's, 24's, or 48's.
My wife could probably tell you more accurately than I.
Personal health, and happiness always comes first (with any job), otherwise you will burn out and be unhappy...a lot.
They're the same.
Welcome.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
i have a few questions
how long do you work?

Probably dependent on where you live and where you are applying.

14 hour shifts are my longest. Others are on a 24. Again, depends where you wanna work.

$15.**. Don't know exactly with recent raises and all. That is medic pay, emt was $11.36.

I have plenty of time, and that was part time work (close to full time some weeks) and full time class.

Usually when people say emt they are talking about the B's. So yes?

Chef

Forum Crew Member
I work 12's and the average work week is 48 hours with the occasional mandated overtime shift. All for a $12.80....

Large 911 system in North Texas.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Depends on your criteria. Don't expect luxury living though.
Guess I'd better give back the seadoos and the brodozers then, huh? See what kind of complex SoCal EMS gave me??

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
i have a few questions
how long do you work?

Depends on area: my area probably one of the easiest things to do
I work part time- but i also have a full time job. EMT's/Medics here either work 12 or 24's
EMT's here can pull in 45k, medics 50-60k depending on where you work.
I don't understand what this means but usually people work 48 hrs a week. I work 12 every other week.
EMT-B is entry level for most ambulances. order goes something like: EMR->EMT-B -> AEMT -> Paramedic -> RN ->Critical care Medic-> CCRN

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Depends on area: my area probably one of the easiest things to do
I work part time- but i also have a full time job. EMT's/Medics here either work 12 or 24's
EMT's here can pull in 45k, medics 50-60k depending on where you work.
I don't understand what this means but usually people work 48 hrs a week. I work 12 every other week.
EMT-B is entry level for most ambulances. order goes something like: EMR->EMT-B -> AEMT -> Paramedic -> >Critical care Medic

Fixed it for you. Somehow you thought an entirely different career option was in the normal progression. While nursing does come about for some, it is not the normal progression.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Fixed it for you. Somehow you thought an entirely different career option was in the normal progression. While nursing does come about for some, it is not the normal progression.
I was talking in my specific area since I don't know how other areas do EMS, There most certainly are RN's and CCRN's on Critical care trucks.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I was talking in my specific area since I don't know how other areas do EMS, There most certainly are RN's and CCRN's on Critical care trucks.

Yes there are but this is not the normal progression for someone entering EMS or any EMS system for the most part. Services do hire nurses but you mapped it out like paramedic should become nurse and then nurse was the end of the progression.

It is an entirely separate field and should be treated as such. While there are overlaps of fields in patient care, they are not the path and need to be discussed as such.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Yes there are but this is not the normal progression for someone entering EMS or any EMS system for the most part. Services do hire nurses but you mapped it out like paramedic should become nurse and then nurse was the end of the progression.
I mapped it this way as the hierarchy or HMFIC when a call is ran. if a CCRN is on scene, its their call. The rest follows the flow of the "chart"

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I mapped it this way as the hierarchy or HMFIC when a call is ran. if a CCRN is on scene, its their call. The rest follows the flow of the "chart"

Again, that might be true for your particular service, but there have been MANY times when a RN, even a CCRN is NOT the HMFIC. Having said that though, most professionals realize it is a team sport and not too many times is there a need to display who the HMFIC is.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Again, that might be true for your particular service, but there have been MANY times when a RN, even a CCRN is NOT the HMFIC. Having said that though, most professionals realize it is a team sport and not too many times is there a need to display who the HMFIC is.

Understood. I personally find everything runs smoother when somebody established themselves however I've only been "in the game" for a short time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
"Run smoother"....so are you talking operations or knowledge base? They are two different things...

The nurse may be HMFIC by education but the worst MF you want coordinating a scene or extraction of patient (I said extraction not extrication).

Sometimes Operations and Knowledge are held by same person, but there could be two different people involved as well.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
"Run smoother"....so are you talking operations or knowledge base? They are two different things...

The nurse may be HMFIC by education but the worst MF you want coordinating a scene or extraction of patient (I said extraction not extrication).

Sometimes Operations and Knowledge are held by same person, but there could be two different people involved as well.
In my very limited experience, i would be talking about knowledge based, however i work on only CCT rigs... I have never worked on a BLS rig. If a CCRN tells me to do something, provided it's not me playing in traffic or jumping off a bridge chances are i'll do it. I know my CC-P partner, knows my limits and things like that. CCRN's here work EMS, so they know the EMS part, better then me probably.