EMT questions! Please help.

MissBettie

Forum Ride Along
21 year old female,180 Hour EMT course student in CA.
I apologize if i ask anything that has been asked before.If anyone is able to answer some of my questions it would definitely be a huge help,and greatly appreciated.

Is it easy finding full time work after such a small amount of school?

If not,is it easy to find volunteer work to gain some experience for my resume?

Do EMT have to pass a polygraph test pre-employment?
(it mind sound silly,but i don't want smoking a joint in high school to ruin my chances of fulfilling my dreams)

its my first time posting a thread so i don't want to overload anyone with questions.
:p

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Depends on the company. Dialysis taxis are always hiring.

I don't know what volunteering in CA is like.

I'm pretty sure polygraph tests are illegal for anything outside of security jobs.
(It's better to never mention your faults.)

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief

In many areas, yes - especially for private companies running interfacility transfers (i.e. taxiing bedbound or mobility impaired patients from hospital to nursing home, or from home to dialysis clinics).

Not sure about CA. It may exist.

(it mind sound silly,but i don't want smoking a joint in high school to ruin my chances of fulfilling my dreams)

I believe polygraphs are not legal in CA for private employers.
I doubt the high school indiscretion would cause an issue. It likely makes no difference for IFT, and probably wouldn't trip any "triggers" for public safety.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Volunteering in CA as an EMT is next to zilch. Their is urban search and rescue but thats about it. A few fire volunteer opportunities. As for the polygraph usually it's only government agencys like fire. But usually that doesn't hurt you. I was in the process for a local police department years ago yes I experimented with the green sfuff and I passed the whole process. They are looking for the more hard core stuff lol

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Depends on what county you're in. But for the most part, yes.

Volly jobs in CA are almost non existent.

Polygraph tests are generally for civil service jobs i.e. fire departments and definitely law enforcement. For most private EMS companies you don't take a polygraph test.