emt pay

Joe

Forum Captain
Reaction score
Over the last few weeks i have been aplying and looking at job postings online. i find it amazing that they dont list the pay for the job in 90% of the postings. i have applied for numerous positions without knowing the pay, that kinda bugs me. i have come to terms that i will be taking a large pay cut switching jobs but i would like to know how much im gonna make. just out of curiosity what does your dept pay starting and did you know it when you applied

In general, your pay as an EMT is dependent on a few different variables-- most likely experience, education, shift selection, possibility for OT, etc, and is often determined at your interview.
There have been numerous threads (recently as well) about EMT pay in California. I don't know the local scoop, but it's worth a search. My understanding, however, is that supply greatly exceeds demand, and pay is overall quite poor.

Good Luck!

What companies are you applying to? Most in southern Ca pay between $9-12 a hour starting. 24 hour rate is usually shorter. IFT only companies usually make a couple bucks more an hour than 911 companies.

yea thanks guys. i am completely expexting around 10$ hr, but would crap my pants if i could manage to get 12. im applying everywhere. just did my pre hire test with amr this morning and i am expecting them to pay as low as possible.i applied at ift comp, but they werent hiring and never made any mention of pay. every other job i have applied they list in bold print on the anouncement what you make. dunno, maybe it really is dependent on the interview

I started at 9.58 at one of the higher paying companies. But thats michigan.

glassdoor.com will have some info.

You can call the company's number and inquire what the starting rate is.

You can also try and network a bit. Ask your class instructor, ask your classmates, ask around here.

Abysmal, i dont know how you guys can live on that wage

Our standard paramedics get $28 and hour + penalties <_<

The company I work for is like this for EMT:
911 non union: $10.21/hr with OT after 8 hours and DT after 12 hours.
911 union: $12.30/hr with OT after 12 hours and no DT.

Back