EMT/Paramedics make $51,460.year

OP
OP
Anjel

Anjel

Forum Angel
51k isn't worth the perpetual murder attempts that the paramedic would probably experience there. It's like death and malicious wounding is a side effect of Detroit. I'll stay here thank you very much.

I'm pretty sure there weren't any medics in 2010 that were murdered or killed in the line of duty in detroit.

Not that I heard of or that google could find.

The EMS system is horrible! Cops get shot! the area is bad! And are ton of murders. But none towards ems that I could find.

But you still should get hazard pay in my opinion

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm pretty sure there weren't any medics in 2010 that were murdered or killed in the line of duty in detroit.

Not that I heard of or that google could find.

The EMS system is horrible! Cops get shot! the area is bad! And are ton of murders. But none towards ems that I could find.

But you still should get hazard pay in my opinion

Per a Lt of Detroit EMS, there hasn't been a LODD in over 10 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
A brand new medic would start at about $28K in my area. But medics also don't have to worry about being murdered on the way to work like Detroit, and typically run two 911 calls in a 24 hour period. Hence the $13.80 an hour.

To Sibera I go!

In my area they start around $50K working maybe 10 days a month, with low call volume, low cost of living, low crime, rural living.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
I looked but didn't see any funny writing.
You don't need to go to Siberia. I've got plenty of snow in my yard. Half of the two lane streets are one lane now and the snowbanks are higher than my truck.
This was on a church sign in town "Whoever is praying for snow, You can stop now."
However with national standards and a government willing to pay you can have a well equiped ambulance service and get paid $50,000 + /yr.

OP
OP
Anjel

Anjel

Forum Angel
Damn, I would be happy to make $51,000 a year :)

See that was my initial thought lol but everyone else seems like that's nothing lol

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
See that was my initial thought lol but everyone else seems like that's nothing lol

It's easy to make over 51k, you just have to be willing to work for it :p I nearly live off 48/24s. Sometimes more than that!

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Damn, I would be happy to make $51,000 a year :)

If you make 51k a year, your net pay is under 3,000 a month. If you're single and renting an apartment, you might do okay. Try raising a family on that, especially in areas such as NY, CA, DC and the surrounding areas, etc. My rent for a 2BR apartment in Queens was $1,500 a month. That would be more than 50% of my take home. The same thing where I live now would be around 1,000. That's still over a third. When you factor in heat, electric, car insurance/repaire, fuel, food, clothing, etc, 51k doesn't really go that far. Not to mention, you should be putting away around 10% of your gross salary into deferred comp if you want to have any chance at a comfortable retirement, pension or not.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

My base is 80k, and that covers the mortgage and general cost of living, not by much, supporting a wife and two kids. I'm not even in an expensive area. OT and per diem work is how I rack up. I need to see at least 100k a year to do well, 90k to at least contribute appropriately to our deferred comp and 529.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I looked but didn't see any funny writing.

It's below the main text. It's very, very faint, light lettering. You have to really look and see.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow it was up just a few minutes ago. Man I hope I got my resume in in time :) seriously though it would take a lot more than 50k to get me to move to Detroit.

Most Medics in the Detroit area do make 50+. The catch is, they often work insane hours to make any more than that.

Lady_EMT

Forum Lieutenant
The terrain extends west to east from the Caspian Sea to the Altay Mountains and north to south from the plains of Western Siberia to the oases and deserts of Central Asia. The Kazakh Steppe (plain), with an area of around 804,500 square kilometres (310,600 sq. mi), occupies one-third of the country and is the world's largest dry steppe region. The steppe is characterized by large areas of grasslands and sandy regions. Important rivers and lakes include: the Aral Sea, Ili River, Irtysh River, Ishim River, Ural River, Syr Darya, Charyn River and gorge, Lake Balkhash and Lake Zaysan. Charyn Canyon in northern Tian ShanThe climate is continental, with warm summers and colder winters. Precipitation varies between arid and semi-arid conditions. The Charyn Canyon is 150–300 metres deep and 80 kilometres long, cutting through the red sandstone plateau and stretching along the Charyn River gorge in northern Tian Shan ("Heavenly Mountains", 200 km east of Almaty) at 43°21′1.16″N 79°4′49.28″E / 43.3503222°N 79.0803556°E / 43.3503222; 79.0803556. The steep canyon slopes, columns and arches rise to heights of 150–300 m. The inaccessibility of the canyon provided a safe haven for a rare ash tree that survived the Ice Age and is now also grown in some other areas. Bigach crater is a Pliocene or Miocene asteroid impact crater, 8 kilometres (5 mi) in diameter and estimated at 5 ±3 million years old at 48°30′N 82°00′E / 48.5°N 82°E / 48.5; 82. [edit] Provinces

lolwut?

And I love this part: "demand [for paramedics and EMTs] is expected to grow UNTIL 2016"..... Thats why its near impossible to find EMS jobs, right?

Craigslist Fail

OP
OP
Anjel

Anjel

Forum Angel
lolwut?

And I love this part: "demand [for paramedics and EMTs] is expected to grow UNTIL 2016"..... Thats why its near impossible to find EMS jobs, right?

Craigslist Fail

ha well the department of labor or what not did say ems jobs would grow 16 percent untill 2016.

But For lets say 800,000 licensed ems workers the jobs will go from what 500,000 to 580,000. Still not enough.

BUT ANYWAY THAT AD IS NUTS! lol

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
I found the fine print. In english describing an area of Siberia.

"Most Medics in the Detroit area do make 50+. The catch is, they often work insane hours to make any more than that."
Like I said with a good system properly funded you can make over $50k without overtime. A PCP with 5 years exp. can break 50k here, and no OT. An ACP will top 62k. However it is all relative. Rent/mortgage, heat, food, power, taxes all come into play.
Currently gas is $1.224/Liter, (3.78l/US gal), A loaf of bread is $2.30, and milk is$4.10/2L, Cigs are over $12.00(I don't smoke so don't care), Liquor is about $28.00/750ml(26oz), beer about $40.00/24. Point of sale tax is 15% on almost everything, (included in above prices where applicable). Like I said, its all relative.