EMT jobs when you're under 21

KevinEMT

Forum Ride Along
I'm 19, EMT certified, and I really want to start moving forward, but every ambulance company I check out in my area says you need to be 21 or older. Is that a drivers insurance reason? It sucks. Is there anyway I could just call permanent shotgun until I'm 21?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
It is an insurance reason. You might be able to find a place that will hire basics as attend only, but that only works if they have BLS trucks in service. It's not a guarantee that they will hire attend only even then ,though. Keep looking and check hospitals as well for ER tech jobs.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Every company around here hires 18 and up. Keep looking or like he said check hospitals.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We hire people under 21 for EMT and AEMT spots. EMT is only special events though. Also Special Events companies, ERs, Water/Amusement Parks all generally have EMTs that don't need to drive.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I got a job as an attendee and driving for an IFT at 19, though that may have been a bad decision on their part. Been in an ED since, and got offers for AMR full time and events. So they are out there, just gotta dig. If you ask me the better option would be to get your undergrad or Paramedic if you truly can't get a decent job yet. Don't waste time!

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Some companies wont let you drive until 21 burt yo can be in the back.

Trauma Queen

Forum Crew Member
Many companies have insurance policies that require drivers to be over 21. The problem with "permanent shotgun" is that first off, there are going to be times when you have to drive. For example, if you're working for a company that runs ALS, it'll be a scheduling nightmare to ensure that you are never scheduled to be on a medic truck. Second off, it's not fair to expect someone to always drive, while you get to tech calls and ride passenger. Especially if you're hired and work with senior, more experienced people, you can't expect them to be "ambulance drivers" all day.

I'm sure there are places in your area that hire under 21. But if not, unfortunately you'll have to wait. Good luck with your search!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
ER Tech might be your best option.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Try Summer camps, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, YMCA's etc. Gives good experience and a summer job;

Try Philmont Scout Reservation (or Florida Sea Base, or Northern Tier, MN; or The Summit) those are the Big BSA Camps, and they pay decent.

I actually took 2 summers off my FT and PT jobs and did summer camp staff as EMS staff. I made $400 a week ($440 2nd year); but after figuring out gas and not eating out and not buying food, I came out quite ahead each summer.

Smitty213

Contributor of Tidbits
Try Summer camps, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, YMCA's etc. Gives good experience and a summer job;

Try Philmont Scout Reservation (or Florida Sea Base, or Northern Tier, MN; or The Summit) those are the Big BSA Camps, and they pay decent.

I actually took 2 summers off my FT and PT jobs and did summer camp staff as EMS staff. I made $400 a week ($440 2nd year); but after figuring out gas and not eating out and not buying food, I came out quite ahead each summer.

Philmont and the other High Adventure BSA camps are 21 for medical staff and strictly enforced, also the year I worked at Philmont they were very picky about most new applicants being some level of advanced provider. Smaller council camps are technically 21 as well, but oftentimes if you know a guy... if you can land a camp spot, BSA or not, they're a pretty neat experience and you can definitely "stretch your legs" as a provider.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I think someone already mentioned it but you can find a BLS company. For the most part they hire EMT's under 21, you won't be doing 911 mostly it will be dialysis, hospital discharges etc. It sucks and it gets old but its a good way to get your "sea legs" and it can introduce you to a place that is better than where you're working and takes EMT's under 21.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
It's insurance. Try getting a tech job at an ER if your local companies won't hire until your older.

Trauma Queen

Forum Crew Member
Also, I'm not sure of where you're from, but if you have the opportunity, try to volunteer at a volly ambulance corps. That way when the time comes and you start applying, you haven't just been sitting on your cert for three years. ED experience looks good if that's the route you go down, but a lot of companies are going to like to see that you've spent some time in an ambulance, and you'll have some references as to your skills in the prehospital setting.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
Every company around here hires 18 and up. Keep looking or like he said check hospitals.

That's only because the only requirement to be hired as an EMT in Michigan is a pulse.

There are places that might hire you. In my experience, non-profit companies tend to be more apt to hire people <21. I'd start looking there. Don't write off hospitals or clinics either. What state/area are you looking for a job in?

Whitney Cadena

Forum Probie
I understand your pain. Check to see if your local hospitals will let you be an ER tech. I know in New York you have to have a phlebotomy cert to be a tech in the ER. It sucks, but oh well. In the meantime you could volunteer on rigs and gain experience. Trust me it will make your life somewhat easier. Good Luck.