JADEMT

Forum Ride Along
I'm a paid 911 EMT in NJ (and driver), so I get paid $13.00/ hour. I work full-time, which is 36 hours a week. I also volunteer and have a second job. After taxes and medical benefits, I am making enough to get by...but that is only because I still live at home. I am saving up as much money as I possibly can, and take as much OT as I can fit in. Sadly, this is still not enough for me to survive on my own. I am only thinking about my future here. I would like to get my own place, but I would be struggling the entire time and not be able to save. I love being an EMT, despite all the negative aspects. I have come to accept those and work around them (just like any other job). I received my certification over a year ago, began working as a paid EMT around that time, and have been volunteering on top of it for two years once the summer is here. The township positions in my area require AT LEAST 2-3 years of paid experience for a full-time position with the full package. However, those are hard to come by and you don't always get them. Is anyone else in this situation? I am thinking of applying for jobs outside of EMS that pay at least double (I have a Bachelor's degree and a lot of work experience). You're probably wondering why I chose to be an EMT...I just felt it was right for me. Sadly, the pay is not going to allow me a decent future if I continue. The only other EMT jobs in my area are transport companies. They do not treat the patient, which I know for a fact from employees of those companies. I'm in a really tough position. I want to stay in the field, but I would like to be able to survive. Any suggestions, without the sarcasm...lol? Thanks

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Move. Plenty of ways to make a living with a good career ems department inn other areas.

OP
OP
JADEMT

JADEMT

Forum Ride Along
Move. Plenty of ways to make a living with a good career ems department inn other areas.
I've considered it in the past,and still am. If it's out of NJ that would mean more schooling, because EMT-B's are usually not even a thing in most states. Unfortunately I can't move right now, but I will absolutely keep it in mind for the future. Thank you.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
what county?

Also look at a tech job at your local hospital. PM Me if you have an questions, Im an EMS chief in NJ

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
If it's out of NJ that would mean more schooling, because EMT-B's are usually not even a thing in most states.
that's not even accurate....... almost all states have EMTs....... what are you talking about? I know for a fact that all the neighboring states around NJ recognize the EMT level

When I left NJ, I think I was making something like 20/hr an an EMT. At that agency I was making about 18 an hour when I started.

my previous FT agency started me at 15.75 an hour. when I left there, I was making 22 an hour on nights.

Want my honest answer? There are plenty of places in NJ that pay decently; these places have a line of applicants out the door, and many of them are more qualified and more experienced than you are. Sorry if the truth hurts, but that is how it is in most places.

I used to say that I won't get out of bed for less than $12 an hour, and I know too many jobs that tried to offer me less (and my first paid EMS job was making $9 an hour, and yes, I was living at home too).

Want some advice? Apply to bigger cities, apply to hospital based EMS systems, and be prepared to move if you get hired. Many of these places start everyone out part time or per diem, and if you get lucky they will offer you a FT job. others have more hoops to jump through, or you will only get hired if you know someone and they like you and there is an opening and the stars are lining up juuuuust right.

Also, don't expect to one work one job as an EMT. It doesn't happen, almost everyone I know who works FT in EMS either has a sugar momma/daddy or a side job or three; this includes many administrators of larger EMS systems.

If I was you, I would get a good paying job outside of EMS, and work part time for a semi-reputable agency that lets you work on the nights and weekends. That way you can gain experience, and have money. and should you get an offer to go back to EMS full time, you will be in a position where you can accept the office, not where you need to because you are too damn broke to not accept whatever they throw at you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JADEMT

JADEMT

Forum Ride Along
that's not even accurate....... almost all states have EMTs....... what are you talking about? I know for a fact that all the neighboring states around NJ recognize the EMT level

When I left NJ, I think I was making something like 20/hr an an EMT. At that agency I was making about 18 an hour when I started.

my previous FT agency started me at 15.75 an hour. when I left there, I was making 22 an hour on nights.

Want my honest answer? There are plenty of places in NJ that pay decently; these places have a line of applicants out the door, and many of them are more qualified and more experienced than you are. Sorry if the truth hurts, but that is how it is in most places.

I used to say that I won't get out of bed for less than $12 an hour, and I know too many jobs that tried to offer me less (and my first paid EMS job was making $9 an hour, and yes, I was living at home too).

Want some advice? Apply to bigger cities, apply to hospital based EMS systems, and be prepared to move if you get hired. Many of these places start everyone out part time or per diem, and if you get lucky they will offer you a FT job. others have more hoops to jump through, or you will only get hired if you know someone and they like you and there is an opening and the stars are lining up juuuuust right.

Also, don't expect to one work one job as an EMT. It doesn't happen, almost everyone I know who works FT in EMS either has a sugar momma/daddy or a side job or three; this includes many administrators of larger EMS systems.

If I was you, I would get a good paying job outside of EMS, and work part time for a semi-reputable agency that lets you work on the nights and weekends. That way you can gain experience, and have money. and should you get an offer to go back to EMS full time, you will be in a position where you can accept the office, not where you need to because you are too damn broke to not accept whatever they throw at you.

I am talking about having a certification as an EMT-Basic. There are some states that do not recognize it and require an EMT-A or EMT-I cert, as well as the national registry. Obviously every state is different, and I don't know exactly how it would work for each...but from what I have been told I would most likely have to retake the course depending on the state. That is not something I mind doing, it was just something I was making a point of. The reason I am not leaving the area right now is not only due to financial reasons, but personal obligations having to do with my family. The only EMT jobs that actually pay living wages by me are Township positions. As you said, it's a matter of knowing someone or getting lucky enough to get hired by them. I am also well aware of the competition in this field, and have known that since I began. I am not expecting a hand out, nor have I ever been hurt by facts. I am simply looking for advice from others who have been in my situation as a new EMT. I also work a second job, and I know that is not something I can give up for a very long time. I appreciate your advice, and I also believe that the best thing for me right now is to find a good paying job outside of EMS, while continuing to work part-time as an EMT.

OP
OP
JADEMT

JADEMT

Forum Ride Along
what county?

Also look at a tech job at your local hospital. PM Me if you have an questions, Im an EMS chief in NJ
I work in Ocean county. I'll definitely look into tech positions at hospitals in my area, I appreciate the suggestion. If I have any questions I'll send you a PM, thank you for offering help.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I am talking about having a certification as an EMT-Basic. There are some states that do not recognize it and require an EMT-A or EMT-I cert, as well as the national registry. Obviously every state is different, and I don't know exactly how it would work for each...but from what I have been told I would most likely have to retake the course depending on the state.
you really need to listen to more informed people, because you are grossly misinformed. Out of all the states in the US, Hawaii is the only one that doesn't have an EMT level (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_medical_responder_levels_by_U.S._state lists what every state has). Most states don't require you to retake the entire course; they do allow reciprocity, especially at the EMT level. But you should definitely check with the individual state to be sure. BTW, I have gotten an initial NY and NC card without having to retake the entire class, and I'm sure I could have gotten others if I was working in those states.
That is not something I mind doing, it was just something I was making a point of. The reason I am not leaving the area right now is not only due to financial reasons, but personal obligations having to do with my family. The only EMT jobs that actually pay living wages by me are Township positions. As you said, it's a matter of knowing someone or getting lucky enough to get hired by them. I am also well aware of the competition in this field, and have known that since I began. I am not expecting a hand out, nor have I ever been hurt by facts. I am simply looking for advice from others who have been in my situation as a new EMT. I also work a second job, and I know that is not something I can give up for a very long time. I appreciate your advice, and I also believe that the best thing for me right now is to find a good paying job outside of EMS, while continuing to work part-time as an EMT.
Since your in Ocean county, I'm assuming you are looking at lakewood, and toms river..... good luck, you have a very slim chance of getting hired (last (checked, Lakewood had medics working on BLS trucks because they pay so well). Just an FYI, techs are typically over worked and underpaid for the amount of work they do.

You asked for advice from people who have been in that position. I'm sorry it's not what you wanted to hear, but it is the reality of your situation. Good luck.

OP
OP
JADEMT

JADEMT

Forum Ride Along
you really need to listen to more informed people, because you are grossly misinformed. Out of all the states in the US, Hawaii is the only one that doesn't have an EMT level. Most states don't require you to retake the entire course; they do allow reciprocity, especially at the EMT level. But you should definitely check with the individual state to be sure. BTW, I have gotten an initial NY and NC card without having to retake the entire class, and I'm sure I could have gotten others if I was working in those states.
Since your in Ocean county, I'm assuming you are looking at lakewood, and toms river..... good luck, you have a very slim chance of getting hired (last (checked, Lakewood had medics working on BLS trucks because they pay so well). Just an FYI, techs are typically over worked and underpaid for the amount of work they do.

You asked for advice from people who have been in that position. I'm sorry it's not what you wanted to hear, but it is the reality of your situation. Good luck.
The information I received was from higher-ups in the company, obviously I was given incorrect information.Thank you for the link btw. And yes, Lakewood and Toms River are two of the Townships in the area, but I know they are incredibly selective in who they hire. I probably would try for another Township when the time comes. I have heard that about Tech positions also. I just figured I would look into it and see what is expected/ offered. After all of this, I am being very cautious before accepting anything elsewhere. It's not that your reply was not what I wanted to hear, I fully appreciate you even offering advice. I find it incredibly difficult to get decent information from most people with experience. I just didn't want you to think that I'm not aware of what I am up against. I know it's difficult, but I'm not going to give up. But I'm also going to continue looking for that balance that will allow me more stability in life. Without giving up something I am passionate about. Thank you again.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Since your in Ocean county, I'm assuming you are looking at lakewood, and toms river..... good luck, you have a very slim chance of getting hired (last (checked, Lakewood had medics working on BLS trucks because they pay so well).

things have changed since you left....

Also Berkley and Brick are municipal paid in OC. Brick is probably the best agency in that county.

@JADEMT You have Triboro and Silverton. In Monmouth theres Wall twp, Tinton Falls and Oakhurst/Wanamassa have recently posted for hiring, im pretty sure Wanamassa is still. I would suggest middletown but they are a little north for you and have very little turnover. You can also look into Exceptional, they run AC. Not a great gig but youll get jobs and experience. Your in a crappy area for this since its either Quality EMS those 6 towns or volleys and nothing else close.

This is the thing, when i look at a resume im looking for some of what i consider basic courses. Besides you EMT and CPR, im looking for your 4 intro ICS classes (100, 200 700, 800), a driving class (CEVO or EVOC), and awareness level training in AT LEAST Hazmat/CBRNE. Without those i dont even continue to review an application. After that im looking for additional awareness or operation level training

Hospital techs can be overworked, but if you can get your foot in the door of one of the hospital systems its easier to move around. ER techs especialy but you can see some cool things if you get into an ICU or OR.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
If you can't get hired at a well paying job in NJ, the Philly suburban services (in Montgomery, Bucks, and Delaware County in PA) pay $15-19/hr + bennies for EMTs. I know some of them are hiring right now/always hiring. We had a couple people from Jersey commute over. They all left once they got good Jersey jobs though, as a general rule NJ municipal departments are some of the best paying in the Northeast.
Atlanticare is hiring too, idk how much they pay though.

Also I can assure you that EMT-Bs are hired for 911 jobs all over the country. Idk who told you otherwise but they crazy.