EMT has a little bit too much fun in the rig

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
That guy loves life, I would love to have him as a partner...as long as he can tone it down when sleeping.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
Kinda funny. Probably a great partner to work with. Don't like that it was filmed while actually driving, but we all know that plenty of EMSers at times drive no less distracted than him. I am certainly guilty of having rocked out too hard while driving my personal vehicle. Many years ago, Metallica's One almost got me in an accident, so I now limit myself to steering wheel drumming.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
This is why I think we need to have a professional drivers license. Due to the nature of our work we need to be held to a higher standard. Enjoy music. Don't put everyone else in danger.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
This is why I think we need to have a professional drivers license. Due to the nature of our work we need to be held to a higher standard. Enjoy music. Don't put everyone else in danger.

How does that fix the problem though?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.

It doesn't. The idea of "don't do anything stupid at work" is one that we should all embrace, but the concept of what is appropriate vs what isn't seems to be lost on many.

That the guy driving that truck thought what he was doing was okay, even if he didn't have a patient, is where the break down is.

That several of my friends sent me the video and and laughed about me dancing like that at work shows that the public has no idea if an ambulance is loaded, staffed by professionals or is just a guy on his way to do a guest shot on OMG EMT.

Professionalism should be what were all about. Even if you are just an "ambulance driver".

Angel

Paramedic
i found it funny, he was stopped for most of it anyway.
its nice to just have fun every once in a while, i feel like people get to serious and caught up in the 'hero' complex to just enjoy life.

OP
OP
D

djarmpit

Forum Lieutenant
its nice to just have fun every once in a while, i feel like people get to serious and caught up in the 'hero' complex to just enjoy life.

I agree. When I watch this video it seems to be that no one in the back and this guy is doing some half-crew work. I'm sure if we took out our videos from our rigs we would all catch ourselves doing stupid stuff or having fun.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I agree. When I watch this video it seems to be that no one in the back and this guy is doing some half-crew work. I'm sure if we took out our videos from our rigs we would all catch ourselves doing stupid stuff or having fun.

Not while driving or while the ambulance is in gear.

OP
OP
D

djarmpit

Forum Lieutenant
Eh? You really think THIS is how we want the public to view us?

I'm saying ehhh as no EMT is 100% professional at all times, whether in the rig, on a lunch, or on scene. This guy might have screwed up, but he's not the only one and I'm sure he wasn't the one to put this video on the web

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Ehhhhhhhhhhh

And if he got into an accident it would be very easy to prove distracted driving. Have fun at work but don't make it look unprofessional

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.

I don't think it would fix the whole problem. But it if people who drive emergency vehicles for a living are held to a higher standard (lower blood alcohol standard, tighter driving record restrictions, knowledge of the laws regarding emergency driving, etc.) I think it would make some people think twice about doing stupid things while driving. No I don't like the idea of having more crap to jump through but I know how some of my coworkers and cohorys drive. And I have told previous sups I will not let some of them drive with me.

Think of it this way. My driver training was literally here are the keys. Here are the switches for the lights. Don't crash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Danno

Forum Lieutenant

Did we watch the same video? I just watched it again and hes driving for easily 3/4's of the video.

Theres nothing wrong with enjoying life, but you're being paid to represent the company and carry yourself professionally in the eye of the public. This is not that and really quite embarrassing.

I'm saying ehhh as no EMT is 100% professional at all times, whether in the rig, on a lunch, or on scene. This guy might have screwed up, but he's not the only one and I'm sure he wasn't the one to put this video on the web

Your justification for it is that other EMT's are sometimes unprofessional as well.....really?

Last edited by a moderator: