emt drug test

Status
Not open for further replies.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
altho i myself dont see anything wrong with marijuana i am 100% sure people who smoke could provide patient care and such, maybe not while high but just because someone smoked yesterday doesnt mean they couldnt take care of me today. i know of 2 nerses that smoke everyday but still seem to do their job well.

Those nurses will be nurses only until they get injured, including a needle stick, on the job and require a drug test which is usually a policy. The hospital will then have an argument against not paying workmen's comp. If the hospital has a zero tolerance policy, the nurses may be immediately out of a job. The drug test results will be filed with the state at which time their license will be suspended. Some places of employment and state licensing boards may allow for a "rehab" period with strict conditions for a long time to follow. However, for many health care professions including EMS, the licensing board may just say find a new career.

OP
OP
Q

qqqa2

Forum Ride Along
Excuse me, i have done nothing wrong. Just becuause my views on something differ from yours, its not like i smoke. Ive just grown up around it and realise its really not that big of a deal as some of you may think. Quit acting like this is murder or something and think for yourself a little, youll realise its no worse then smoking a cig or drinking alchol. quit being so judgemental maybe your in the wrong line of work, what matters is i work hard, have good people skills and know my anatomy very well.

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
i know of 2 nerses that smoke everyday but still seem to do their job well.

Those nurses will be nurses only until
Are you one of these nurses?

You stated your opinion about what goes on in YOUR WORLD. I just stated what happens to those that violate policy in the REAL WORLD.

Sometimes one does not realize how a drug and alcohol dependency affects them or even if they have a problem That is when an intervention is needed by family and/or friends or possibly a career jeopardizing event.

Health care professionals, especially RNs, do not like to find out that one of their own, whom they may have been co-signing meds with, are using drugs.

acting like this is murder or something

Yes, you can be criminally charged if you injure or cause the death of someone while impaired.

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
Excuse me, i have done nothing wrong. Just becuause my views on something differ from yours, its not like i smoke. Ive just grown up around it and realise its really not that big of a deal as some of you may think. Quit acting like this is murder or something and think for yourself a little, youll realise its no worse then smoking a cig or drinking alchol. quit being so judgemental maybe your in the wrong line of work, what matters is i work hard, have good people skills and know my anatomy very well.

The difference is cigarette smoking and drinking are not ILLEGAL. Pot smoking is however.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Illegal != unethical != immoral.

It's a requirement of every medical profession that you avoid using illegal drugs. If you're not willing to do that, you're clearly not very committed to your career. Beyond that, drug use can compromise patient care and drug addiction will lead to you doing something dangerous, unethical, and illegal.

OP, if you're legitimately curious, i.e. not looking for a way to "beat the test", PM me and I'll point you to fairly reliable information.

LE-EMT, "sympathizers"? Seriously? Heavens above, the sainted professions of EMS and law enforcement have been infiltrated by devotees of the Demon Weed, Marihuana! They're secretly undermining our drug laws, the last bulwark between us and total chaos! Now who wants a drink to relax from the stress of fighting these Godless, un-American hippy SOBs?

LE-EMT

Forum Lieutenant

Excuse me!!!!!!! It is MY JOB to be judgemental. Its no worse then smoking or drinking????? wow you ignorance is astounding. http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/common/drugs/485.html
Please do your home work. Just because your parents/friends are pot heads doesn't make it ok.

True alcohol and cigarettes are bad but like Pittsburgh pointed out they are not illegal. So in my opinion if you are defending the use of marijuana then you will defend the sale and production of it. To me you are just as bad as those who use it.

Mr. Conspiracy..... I say this to you. If one thinks it is ok for themselves or others to smoke/buy/sell/or produce marijuana then what other laws do they not have a problem breaking??? It may be a minor infraction in most states and most peoples minds but once you start breaking the law who is to say you are going to stop at "smoking a little pot"?

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
He asked a simple question that required a simple answer.... stop busting his balls over it. The asking of a question doesnt incriminate you. The moral and ethical debate over marijuana is never ending and everyone has their own opinion. I never smoked marijuana and dont care to associate with people who do... however, I take a liberal stand on the debate.

As a society we embrace and pump millions of dollars into alcohol that kills, injures, and ruins lives everyday and at the same time were gonna be hard asses on people who smoke pot? That is kinda hypocritical to me. People drink alcohol on a regular basis and they still go to work and do their job and perform well. Just because you like a cold beer or a few shots doesnt mean your gonna go to work and kill somebody cause ur drunk off ur ***. Same principle applies to marijuana.

Im not condoning marijuana because it is illegal but when u look at the issue from out side the legality standpoint, what is the real difference between marijuana and alcohol?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Im not condoning marijuana because it is illegal but when u look at the issue from out side the legality standpoint, what is the real difference between marijuana and alcohol?

There is no difference in a place of employment that utilizes a zero tolerance policy. If you test positive for alcohol, you will face the same penalties.

The OP's posts demonstrated his tolerance for marijuana. Other members, including myself, presented agruments on how this may affect his status in the medical profession.

piranah

Forum Captain
restech i agree.....there truly isnt a difference besides ones illegal.....(o by the way alcohol was illegal once.....it was called prohibition)...i dont smoke and i dont care if someone does as long as you dont do it to effect your work or life......what you do in private is of your concern not mine......

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Excuse me!!!!!!! It is MY JOB to be judgemental. Its no worse then smoking or drinking????? wow you ignorance is astounding. http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/common/drugs/485.html
Please do your home work. Just because your parents/friends are pot heads doesn't make it ok.

True alcohol and cigarettes are bad but like Pittsburgh pointed out they are not illegal. So in my opinion if you are defending the use of marijuana then you will defend the sale and production of it. To me you are just as bad as those who use it.

Mr. Conspiracy..... I say this to you. If one thinks it is ok for themselves or others to smoke/buy/sell/or produce marijuana then what other laws do they not have a problem breaking??? It may be a minor infraction in most states and most peoples minds but once you start breaking the law who is to say you are going to stop at "smoking a little pot"?

And the Oscar goes to...........................

Dude, get over yourself and the holier than thou, me be a protector of the law, therefore I have the right to judge you crap. You have zero right to judge or did you skip that day of the police academy? If people want to smoke dope in the privacy of their own home and it does not intrude into their professional career, so be it. As far as your ignorance comments go, I have seen far worse issues from alcohol and cigarettes than I will ever see from pot. I openly challenge you to provide statistically significant evidence contrary to that. Short of that, you sir are the ignorant one, you are not and will never be God. Stop trying to act like it............................

Yes, this is a heavily debated topic. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, the thought process of someone smoking pot becoming the next serial killer is just plain stupid. I know quite a few people who smoke. They come from all walks of life. Doctors, Nurses, Paramedics, Police Officers. Its an individual choice, but as mature adults, they leave it at home, they do not indulge before they go to work, and they do not perform their duties in an impaired manner. Yes, each takes on a risk, but its one that they accept on their own terms. Just like our patient refusals.

Personally, I do not currently smoke. As a pilot, the FAA has great issue with it. Therefore it is my choice to not smoke marijuana. I did for several years. Never once did it affect my performance or level of care. However, when it is legalized, which WILL happen eventually once more people wise up to the potential revenue and taxation it can bring, I will be one of the first to light up. And I know I wont be the only one here to do so....................

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
^^^^^
THIS

I'm surprised the thread has lasted this long.
The slippery slope argument makes little sense. It's equally if not more plausible that people that break cannabis-related laws do so because they believe the laws are unjust, not because of some sociopathic indifference to law.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Personally, I do not currently smoke. As a pilot, the FAA has great issue with it. Therefore it is my choice to not smoke marijuana. I did for several years. Never once did it affect my performance or level of care. However, when it is legalized, which WILL happen eventually once more people wise up to the potential revenue and taxation it can bring, I will be one of the first to light up. And I know I wont be the only one here to do so....................

Why do you respect the fact that the FAA frowns on marijuana and not respect the decisions of medical boards?

Did not affect you performance according to you? Everything looks nice and euphoric when you are high nor can anyone do no wrong. At least that is what the patients who do drugs tell me.

It doesn't matter whether you have alcohol or marijuana in your system when you take a drug test for employment. Both will be treated the same. This also goes for people that smoke cigarettes and try to seek employment at some hospitals and companies across the U.S.

Seems like some people just have a problem with respecting the laws and the people who have a duty to enforce the laws.

mdkemt

Forum Lieutenant
Seems like some people just have a problem with respecting the laws and the people who have a duty to enforce the laws.

I this is true. Fact is if your employer wants it they want it. If you don't want to do the test don't work there. Like any job you know what you are getting into be an adult and decide what you want.

MDKEMT

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Why do you respect the fact that the FAA frowns on marijuana and not respect the decisions of medical boards?

Did not affect you performance according to you? Everything looks nice and euphoric when you are high nor can anyone do no wrong. At least that is what the patients who do drugs tell me.

It doesn't matter whether you have alcohol or marijuana in your system when you take a drug test for employment. Both will be treated the same. This also goes for people that smoke cigarettes and try to seek employment at some hospitals and companies across the U.S.

I never was at work when I was high. I never smoked within 24 hours of a shift. As far as work related drug tests, I knew it was a risk and at that time in my life, I accepted it. Peeing hot in a drug test is just the same as peeing hot for alcohol at work. It is the employer's indivdual discretion as to what their particular policy is. IF I would have been tested, I MAY have been fired. Again, at that time it was a risk that I deemed acceptable. However, there is a HUGE difference between testing positive on a test due to residual traces in your system vs. being impaired. I could smoke and then not work for three weeks, go take a test and fail, and then be in trouble. But, how do you conceive that this would affect patient care. IT IS THE SAME AS DRINKING ALCOHOL. You stop at a reasonable time before going to work. The only difference is that traces remain in your system longer. Evidential traces do not remotely alter an individual. You can paint the picture any way you seem fit to support your belief, but that is the TRUTH! Stop ASSuming things. I think your passion for this topic is clouding your judgement as you type.

As far as respect goes, that actually is irrelevant. Title 14 CFR Part 91 is a FEDERAL REGULATION. i.e. regardless of being impaired or not, it is grounds for immediate revokation of my license. Being popped by an employer in EMS would have only resulted in discipline within the company, unless there was evidence of incapacitation that resulted in negligent care. There was and is a big difference.

Right now, I choose to abide by the law. Again, my choice. Has nothing to do with respect or lack there of, has nothing to do with my patients or the high quality of care I provide, and it definately has nothing to do with the opinions of others. As Conspiracy states, its not sociopathic indifference, it is adults choosing to partake in a relaxing activity. There is really no need to make it out tobe more than it is. Sorry if ya'll see it differently..............

VentMedic

Forum Chief
As far as respect goes, that actually is irrelevant. Title 14 CFR Part 91 is a FEDERAL REGULATION. i.e. regardless of being impaired or not, it is grounds for immediate revokation of my license. Being popped by an employer in EMS would have only resulted in discipline within the company, unless there was evidence of incapacitation that resulted in negligent care. There was and is a big difference.

I guess that is what sets EMS apart from other professions. Minimal standards for professionalism in so many aspects of this field.

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
Excuse me!!!!!!! It is MY JOB to be judgemental.

This is the ignorance that gives all LEO's a negative image. Yes profiling can be useful, and in some cases life-saving...but last time I checked the scales of justice were still held by a blindfolded woman.

As long as pot remains illegal those who use it will get chastised by those who don't use it or are against its use. How many cops, nurses, firefighters, EMT's, etc. come to work hungover, or in some cases still intoxicated? "Not at my hospital, firehouse, station, ambulance, etc"...bullsh*t. If you've been in this field any length of time, you've witnessed it. I'll admit it, I've turned a blind eye to it at times early in my career. With age came wisdom...and I've learned that while these types of careers are family-like, we also have to exercise some degree of discipline in the workplace and enforce the standards set forth in our SOP's.

Either way it's unacceptable to be in the public sector and have a problem with substance abuse. It just seems like it's easier to go after the "potheads" because they're using an illegal substance as opposed to those who imbibe on booze and drive themselves home.

To the original poster - there are different types of drug tests, but the most commonly used in your case would probably be a urine test. When I was still active duty in the Air Force, we had piss tests at random intervals where another "proctor" literally stood over your shoulder or to the side and watched you piss in the cup. I don't think the wizzinator would have worked in that case :)

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain

I have an absolute serious question, and I do not mean it as an attack im just curious. What happens when....
When smoked, it begins to effect users almost immediately and can last for one to three hours. When it is eaten in food, such as baked in brownies and cookies, the effects take longer to begin, but usually last longer.

The short-term effects of marijuana include:
Distorted perception (sights, sounds, time, touch)
Problems with memory and learning
Loss of coordination
Trouble with thinking and problem-solving
Increased heart rate, reduced blood pressure
Sometimes marijuana use can also produce anxiety, fear, distrust, or panic.
What happens when you can not function and you crash? Your going to have to smoke an awful lot of pot to be able to deal with your self. What happens when distorted vision comes into play and you can't land, or perform health care to the best of your ability? Thinking and problem solving, EMS is all about problem solving and performing patient care in diffrent ways to treat the presenting problem, if your thinking is distroted than what will happen? Their are so many questions you can ask all with negative side effects.

If marajuana is ever legalized I certainly hope that their are such strict rules in the work place that almost wont allow you to do it, you are endangering the lives of others.​

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
You say,
Never once did it affect my performance or level of care.

How do you absolutely know you wont have a "bad trip" and how do you know it wont effect your level of care, did you attempt to perform health care while high? You never know what your going to get, how do you know while it was growing that chemical substances weren't added to it, and now its going to mess you up even more. What if after you "apparently" came down from the high and your actually still impaired and try to perform patient care? Than what is what you have to ask your self in life, everyone enjoys feeling good, every one deserves to be happy in life, but you have to look at it from a stricter point of view, espicially in the Healthcare, Police and Fire Field, people are trusting you to help them, protect them and save them do they really want you to be high, or recently come off a high, they are expecting you to function at the best of your abilities, and imparing them you are not. It doesn't matter how well you know your body, or how much weed you have smoked that you have it down to an exact science, all it takes it chemical substances to be added and your done.

Status
Not open for further replies.