emt drug test

Status
Not open for further replies.

qqqa2

Forum Ride Along
i have to take a drug test soon for EMT class and i was curious if anyone had gone through this recently and knew what kind of drug test i will be taking

thanks alot

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Odds are you'll be peeing in a cup semi-witnessed. The door might almost be closed so they can hear any unnecessary manipulation of the equipment. Thay way they can document it is your pee and not someone else's.

... I think.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Why does it matter? Are you trying to find out what they test for?

If you are using illegal drugs/narcotics (including prescription drugs not prescribed to YOU), you have NO buisness being in EMS. Get yourself under control, then think about coming back.

If you go to work pushing carts at Wal-Mart... they drug test you. If they are going to let you take care of sick and injured people in their most vulnerable times, why wouldn't they drug test you?

If you are asking because you have never been through a drug test before and are just curious... well, I'm not quite beliveing you, because you joined here and your first post is to ask about drug tests... which seems troll-ish, but here goes anyway:

I've taken urine drug screens (pee into a cup, either semi-witnessed or unwitnessed). I've also taken oral ETOH screens.
I've had friends that have had hair-follicle testing done for jobs.

mdkemt

Forum Lieutenant
What does it matter anyways?
Drug testing... I agree with Jon. If you have nothing to hide whats the big deal. If you do then you shouldnt be taking care of people.
Any job I have ever started at I have pee'd in a cup semi-witnessed had blood drawn and had to fork over a criminal record check and drivers abstract. Standard procedures. Most places also like this for insurance purposes.

MDKEMT

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
I didnt have to take a drug test for my emt class or vol. agency, although I did have to get a physical and TB test before I started my 10 hours of clinical time, but for the FD I had to pee in a cup so they could test my pH levels and do a whole slew of other things, but I haven't had a drg test yet..

LH4B

Forum Ride Along
Did not have to take a drug test for EMT, but did have to take one for the fire department. They sent me to the hospital to have it done and then fax the results over. They just made me empty my pockets before going into the bathroom, and then its just pee in the cup and don't flush the toilet or run the sink.

Drug-wise they checked for EtOH, Marijuana, Opiates, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
For government drug tests, there isn't a sink. They also tint the toilet water so it can't be used to dilute a sample. The test also tests for temperature, so you can't substitute pee you bring in, unless you have a way of keeping it warm. Depending on the test, it also has to meet certain requirements of solids. If the sample is believed to be too dilute, they may ask you to retest.

Drug tests have been cheated on in every way imaginable and in the interest of accuracy, the tests have been designed to work around the devious minds of the truly addicted, not just the recreational pot smoker. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on your point of view, some facilities choose the test or testing facility based more on economics than accuracy, resulting in inaccurate results.

There are a lot of urban legends out there about how to 'beat' a drug test. Most of them are based on "I know this guy, who knew somebody......" Most drug tests are not given without advance warning. If you do partake of certain recreational chemical substances, then all you have to do is abstain until the substance is out of your system and then take the test. If you are unable to put aside the desire to imbibe for a few short weeks in order to get a job, perhaps you should examine how badly you want the job.

There are companies who don't care and don't test. But most of those who pay the best will require at least a pre-employment screening and some will have random tests throughout your period of hire.

So, without getting into the whole 'is recreational drug use a bad thing in an EMS provider'... debate, these are facts regarding how the system generally works.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
Why did some people jump down this person's throat? What happened to curosity?

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
Why did some people jump down this person's throat? What happened to curosity?

because of the intent, or the presumed intent, behind the question. people who dont use dont care what kind of test. people who do use care because there are different ways to supposedly beat different tests.

you can be curious about a lot of things, but curiosity about this is synonymous with a drug user.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
because of the intent, or the presumed intent, behind the question. people who dont use dont care what kind of test. people who do use care because there are different ways to supposedly beat different tests.

you can be curious about a lot of things, but curiosity about this is synonymous with a drug user.

Ok Lets break this down. I at one point asked the SAME question. My Intenet was to know what it was for, what they were testing. I wasn't using, but I still cared. And lastly I know about 3 or 4 diffrent ways to attempt to trick the test and I still DON'T use. My point is people can JUST be curious.

mdkemt

Forum Lieutenant
Ok Lets break this down. I at one point asked the SAME question. My Intenet was to know what it was for, what they were testing. I wasn't using, but I still cared. And lastly I know about 3 or 4 diffrent ways to attempt to trick the test and I still DON'T use. My point is people can JUST be curious.

See for some reason this would tip me off to make you do a drug test. This testing isnt about hurting your feelings it is about protecting employees and patient safety. I would worry if my partner was using because he/she might be the one driving or the one who has to administer a drug to a patient. How do I know you can actually handle a patient while using.

As for curiousity on what they are testing...IT IS A DRUG TEST! What do you think they are testing. To see if you had apples for lunch. They are testing for illegal drug use.

MDKEMT

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
See for some reason this would tip me off to make you do a drug test. This testing isnt about hurting your feelings it is about protecting employees and patient safety. I would worry if my partner was using because he/she might be the one driving or the one who has to administer a drug to a patient. How do I know you can actually handle a patient while using.

As for curiousity on what they are testing...IT IS A DRUG TEST! What do you think they are testing. To see if you had apples for lunch. They are testing for illegal drug use.

MDKEMT

I have no problem with these tests and i feel like an idiot now after looking at the original post because it did say DRUG test LOL. My appologies every one.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

How about poppy-seed muffins and bagels...?

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
I thought most everyone tested these days. What can I say but I agree with the others. If you have to worry about passing then you should be doing another line of work, this is not the place. Not when any moment we would be in a car accident and responsible for pt. care.

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
are you wondering if it will be hair, blood or urine, or are you wondering what they test for?

At my test, it was a witnessed urine test where they lady actually stood in the doorway, looking the opposite direction. Before the test they said something like "have you taken or eaten anything that you would like us to know about?"... which I had not done. I understood that it pretty much tested for everything.. prescription, otc and illegal although they may have intentionally led me to believe that when it really didnt. It didnt matter to me, I'm not on, nor have I ever been on drugs.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief

I'm gonna agree with Brian here.

I've never used illegal drugs (or ever drank) and hadn't been around people who have so the first time I had to take a drug test I thought they were going to draw blood and have me do a brethalizer and physical activity. Imagine my surprize when they told me to pee into a cup!

OP
OP
Q

qqqa2

Forum Ride Along
To put all the critism to rest, some of us unfortunetly live with parents that are "pot heads" (altho i myself dont use it)im worried it still may lead to a positive reading on the test due to i am around them occasionally when they smoke.

second.
reading threw the posts ppl jump to the assumetion that someone who is using coudlnt addministrate drugs or be capable of patient care, and that they would be using on the job? wtf? who said anything about any of that?

altho i myself dont see anything wrong with marijuana i am 100% sure people who smoke could provide patient care and such, maybe not while high but just because someone smoked yesterday doesnt mean they couldnt take care of me today. i know of 2 nerses that smoke everyday but still seem to do their job well.

other drugs are another story.

Last edited by a moderator:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm gonna agree with Brian here.

I've never used illegal drugs (or ever drank) and hadn't been around people who have so the first time I had to take a drug test I thought they were going to draw blood and have me do a brethalizer and physical activity. Imagine my surprize when they told me to pee into a cup!

uuummm....by brian are you referring to me?

LE-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
Ok first of all. Yes even minuscule amounts such as those that can be obtained from second hand smoke could cause you to pop hot. If you can get high from clam baking then you can piss it hot too.

Second you stated that you are not against marijuana as a matter of fact you defended it and those who use it in the field... You should never work in the field. Find a new career where they allow you to be high. One where you are not in direct contact with people or machinery. So if you can find the job where you can sit at home get high and watch tv all day then I think this is what you are looking for. The fact that you would come to a Forum like this and defend marijuana use infuriates me. Next you will be telling me that a heroine junkie is capable of being a Doctor.

I hope you pop hot because honestly then we in the field don't have to worry about sympathizers or users showing up as our partners. Endangering us and our PTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.