EMT-Basic at Abram's College in Central CA

Fellowhuman

Forum Ride Along
Hello folks - first post here to these forums. First of many questions I'll ask:

Does anyone have experience with the basic EMT course offered by Abram's College in Modesto, CA? The lead instructor is Dan Lucky and I've heard mixed opinions about his tutelage.

It's a 6 week, fri-sun 9:00am-6:00pm course and I'm trying to get some opinions on that. Is a 6 week, 186 hour course long enough to fully grasp what basic EMTs do? The alternative to this is a local community college that covers the same material over the course of 2 semesters (8 months).

I don't want to spend roughly $1,200 on this course and the time involved if 6 weeks isn't adequate enough to take me from my boring cubicle job to a competent EMT that's ready to take the exams.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Yes. Despite what anyone will tell you, EMT-B is a basic, entry level course. If you've got a decent grasp of English, can study for an 8th grade science test and can learn linear psychomotor skills, you'll have no issue.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
The hours are probably the same in the semester long course, think about it, normal college schedule you're in the class for what, 2 or 3 hours per week plus an hour of labs? Vs. 8 hours (I'm assuming an hour for lunch) each day so yeah you get the same amount of hours in class, it's just in the semester length classes those hours are spread out over time.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
186 hour course long enough to fully grasp what basic EMTs do?

Lol 186 hours is long enough. Like DEmedic says its a basic entry course, a functioning cognitive learning ability and a pulse is all thats required to pass.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Basic is advanced first.aid. Period. 168 hours is.enough for you to pass registry