Emt-b

tabby

Forum Ride Along
Starting EMT-B in a couple of months. I have been out of school for a while. I would like to start studying but not sure where to start. Any suggestion?
Thanks!

blachatch

Forum Lieutenant
If you have your books already i would suggest to start reading those.. I'm in the same boat as you.. starting to study now.

CBentz12

Forum Crew Member
You can easily Google EMT B exercises and look throughout WikiPedia but there are books you can buy at the book store. Just focus on your Basics like your 6 Benchmarks, SAMPLE, OPQRST, AVPU and an your PT assessments wether you use SOAP or CHART. This all sounds confusing to you know but they will drill you on all of these things. Look them up now and you will be ahead when class starts and take a early lead. Welcome to the EMS Field!

OP
OP
T

tabby

Forum Ride Along
Thanks I am so excited to start! I just worry that it has been so long since I have been in school I have a good base of medical but know I will need to hit the ground running.

AustinNative

Forum Crew Member
CBentz12 has it right. I also recommend focusing on CPR, because that was the first thing they hit us hard on in Basic (you may have your Health Care Providers CPR cert, but believe me, Basic school goes way more in-depth)

I wish you the best of luck! I went back to school at 47, and Basic school was a blast. Are you going for Paramedic afterwards? I am starting my second semester Para school week after next.

STUDY STUDY STUDY
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
STUDY STUDY STUDY

gw812

Forum Crew Member
Anatomy and Physiology. You hit it in both EMT-B and paramedic - get a good anatomy book and get to memorizin'.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I also recommend focusing on CPR, because that was the first thing they hit us hard on in Basic (you may have your Health Care Providers CPR cert, but believe me, Basic school goes way more in-depth)

:blink:

How?

OP everyone covered it already.

DavidM

Forum Probie
Starting EMT-B in a couple of months. I have been out of school for a while. I would like to start studying but not sure where to start. Any suggestion?
Thanks!

Looking back on my basic course I was fresh out of high-school so I was used to doing a lot of reading and really learning material. I was good at studying and used to spending a lot of time reading. But the people who had been away from school for a while had a lot harder time with that. For many of them even sitting for a couple hours and reading the book was a major challenge. So I recommend that you just practice sitting still and reading dense literature. Re-learn to absorb a lot from books. Whether you just read fiction or medical-related texts it doesn't matter just get used to learning again.

KyleG

Forum Crew Member
Go through the book find something you struggle on and hit it hard.

My method in my class was learn the patho once you know that the Signs & Symptoms are a little easier cause you know the reason for that.

But also remember that your teacher is going to teach you what you need to know to pass.

tcd

Forum Probie
....My method in my class was learn the patho once you know that the Signs & Symptoms are a little easier cause you know the reason for that.

I'm sorry, but this is just tough to read. At first glance it almost sounds like you're suggesting to learn patho after signs and symptoms.

What I'm sure you're trying to say is:

"My method in class was to learn patho first, because once you know that then the signs and symptoms, and the underlying reasons for them, are a little easier to understand."

KyleG

Forum Crew Member
I'm sorry, but this is just tough to read. At first glance it almost sounds like you're suggesting to learn patho after signs and symptoms.

What I'm sure you're trying to say is:

"My method in class was to learn patho first, because once you know that then the signs and symptoms, and the underlying reasons for them, are a little easier to understand."

Thats a better way to put it yes, Patho First then SnS come easier.

psyanotic

Forum Crew Member
Thanks I am so excited to start! I just worry that it has been so long since I have been in school I have a good base of medical but know I will need to hit the ground running.

For me, EMT was nothing like normal school. There was just so much practicality to it and "You're going to be doing this in real life, to real people." that it shifted my perspective and mentality. In school, you study hard to get an A, in EMT, you train hard and study hard to be the best public servant you can. You deal with fragile lives and good care obviously makes a huge difference.

I feel like passion will trump a college transcript in any reasonable EMT course. Good luck :)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I feel like passion will trump a college transcript in any reasonable EMT course. Good luck :)
School is school, no matter how hard you try it will be the results of your examinations that define your success (or lack there of) in any sort of medic class. There are no substitutes for examinations and I do believe it's rare to be in a basic class that awards points for effort and participation.

No one failed my EMT class and I think the big reason behind that was that everyone in my class was a current undergrad student used to stringent academic standards.

tq1coleman

Forum Ride Along
If you are not part of a volunteer squad already then join. Tell them what your intentions are and try to get as much hands on practice as possible. This will help you immensely when you do practicals and then again when you get certified. I didn't do this and looking back I wish I had. It will also help you understand some of the concepts in the reading and why things are done the way they are done.

Like previously stated learn A&P, learn how the heart operates, how blood flows in and out, airway, airway, airway (know it), find out what medications your state allows you to administer and learn when to administer them and any contraindications. Learn all of the mnemonics previously mentioned. If you are able to ride in the back of an ambulance (some places only require CPR cert as long as there are enough EMT qualified personnel) then do it and start ASAP. There is no substitute for experience, even if it is just shadowing. Get used to the idea of touching people, especially in class. Learn how to take a persons blood pressure. If you can't hear the pulse with a normal stethoscope go buy a decent Littmann.

Lastly figure out how you learn best and apply that in EMT class. Personally I would take notes everyday and I would always do the handouts the instructor gave out. If I didn't understand something I was not afraid to ask the instructor to clarify. If you need help don't be afraid to ask. Being an instructor is not easy and most do it because they love it. If they don't then they are probably not good at it or they are burnt out. Don't be afraid to ask for help, most instructors will stay after class in order to make sure you are comfortable.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMS123

Forum Crew Member
Greatest resource once you start class are "group sessions" to review scenerios and going over material.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
I would just get your text book early and go over that. Maybe watch some youtube videos regarding EMT skills to familiarize yourself a little bit with what you will be doing. Keep in mind some of what you see on youtube will be poor examples by people who themselves are students.

If you dont have any prior A&P or medical training, it wouldnt hurt to start becoming familiar with gross anatomy and maybe a little physiology. EMT-basic doesnt get real in depth with A&P, but the more you know, the easier patient assessments will be when you start doing them.

Another thing that will put you ahead of the curve is learning to check vital signs, especially blood pressure. Get yourself a steth and a cuff, read how its done, and start practicing on people. The more comfortable and practiced you are, the easier class will be, especially during clinicals.

Last edited by a moderator: