EMT-B Students!!!

Stewart1990

Forum Crew Member
I’m 40 years old and live in North Hollywood. I’ve recently been working as a producer in the Film and TV industry for last 15 years. I’m recently laid off and wanting to pursue a dream of being an EMT/Paramedic. I hope to work in the field as well as combine my training with my movie work in the future.

I am in dire need of some guidance. I have questions that the internet just doesn’t answer.
Can you help me…please?
I’m looking into taking the accelerated course at CIEMT in Long Beach in May.
Do you have any info on that school?
Do you know of a better school?
What’s the difference between EMT I and EMT b?

I guess I just crave some answers from a “live” person.

Thanks in advance,
Toni

in my opinion, an accelerated course is never a way to go. maybe if you were doing research for your other career, yes. but if you actually plan on handling patients, no. medical training is something that should never be rushed in my opinion. we lose so much that we learn anyway, that god only knows that shoving ems abbreviations in there on top of patient assessment skills and the definition of cardiac tamponade will only further confuse you, especially if you have no other medical knowledge. i say standard course all the way!

D_H

Forum Ride Along
I’m 40 years old and live in North Hollywood. I’ve recently been working as a producer in the Film and TV industry for last 15 years. I’m recently laid off and wanting to pursue a dream of being an EMT/Paramedic. I hope to work in the field as well as combine my training with my movie work in the future.

I am in dire need of some guidance. I have questions that the internet just doesn’t answer.
Can you help me…please?
I’m looking into taking the accelerated course at CIEMT in Long Beach in May.
Do you have any info on that school?
Do you know of a better school?
What’s the difference between EMT I and EMT b?

I guess I just crave some answers from a “live” person.

Thanks in advance,
Toni

tonitiger,
I start an accelerated EMT-B course tomorrow that will run through the first week of July. I would assume the EMT-I would be the intermediate coursework you can take following basic. I think that is usually IV treatment and administration of drugs. Have you checked yahoo!answers? There might be a post there that has better information than what I have provided.
Good luck with the class!

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
tonitiger,
I would assume the EMT-I would be the intermediate coursework you can take following basic. I think that is usually IV treatment and administration of drugs. Have you checked yahoo!answers?

Unless you live in California, like tonitiger does. Then, most likely, he's asking about EMT-I (One) not EMT-I (Eye). If that's the case, there is no difference between EMT-B and EMT-I

Second

Forum Lieutenant
yea there's no real differance between B and I. but to me you get a little more of why or what might be causing what ever it is there symptoms present. me personaly, I like knowing a little more than just load and go I think you can treat the pt. better that way.

but hey just me

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Unless you live in California, like tonitiger does. Then, most likely, he's asking about EMT-I (One) not EMT-I (Eye). If that's the case, there is no difference between EMT-B and EMT-I

Comparrison of DOT EMS Clasifications an California EMS Clasifications:

EMT-B is EMT-1
EMT-I dosen't really exit much out here. Some of the National Parks have them (i.e. Yosemite) and a few older ones still exist.
EMT-P is still a Paramedic.

All the course work and scope of practice remain the same. Oh, and First Responder is still First Responder, which is pretty much usless as a certification if you plan on making a career out of EMS in California.

Stewart1990

Forum Crew Member
Just a question- what were you guys expected to have, materials/eqipment wise, for your classes? Just looking for input. I know all classes are different.

EmsPrincess*

Forum Crew Member
It depends on how much your school requires and also allows you to do. It also all depends on what type of calls you get when doing your ride outs.

My school required and only allowed us to do 40 hours. It may seem like a lot but it's not.

Well, not to sound sadistic, but I hope we get some pretty involved calls on my "ride outs". I don't want to have mild calls during my class and then my first day on the job get a gruesome multi-victim accident or something. I want a little preparation.

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Just a question- what were you guys expected to have, materials/eqipment wise, for your classes? Just looking for input. I know all classes are different.

Something to write with, something to write on, and a watch. My school also required a uniform: dark blue pants, black boots, black belt, and school uniform polo, a N-95 mask, and obviously our books. They also strongly recommended a stethoscope and B/P cuff. I would suggest you get a cheap set because the time they give you in school will probably not be enough practice to get it down. Taking B/Ps on a person sitting on a couch is completely different then in the back of the ambulance with their arm bouncing all over the place and all the road noise.

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Well, not to sound sadistic, but I hope we get some pretty involved calls on my "ride outs". I don't want to have mild calls during my class and then my first day on the job get a gruesome multi-victim accident or something. I want a little preparation.

It's not sadistic, everyone wants the "good" calls.

Stewart1990

Forum Crew Member
It's not sadistic, everyone wants the "good" calls.
Yeah, no one wants to be the guy who has 'old lady fell down' calls all night
(which happens almost every night at midnight here)

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Well had my last quiz today for class. We have our written final on May 1st and then our skills final on May 8th. I better start studying my arse off.

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
How many drops?

Meaning from the class?

We had 3 students dropped because of absences or tardies. We lost about 6 or 7 because they couldn't pass midterm. I am not sure how many do not have enough points to take the final. We still have about 28 or so in class. Some of the other class are down to like 10 students left.

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Not bad then.

My class started with 45, ended with 21.

Yea we kind of lucked out. Our instructor is still a paramedic in the field so he knows the up to date stuff going on and he also had the highest success rate with students passing the class and national registry out of the other 4 teachers at the school. I really like his teaching style. I have gotten some pretty bad teachers in the quest for my AA degree so I know how lucky we are to have someone who cares the way he does.

JPINFV

Gadfly
My understanding is that, in general, the TB exam isn't recommended for the general population. One of the problems with the vaccine is that you will no longer be able to take the PPD test. Instead you have to get a chest xray ever few years.

EmsPrincess*

Forum Crew Member
My understanding is that, in general, the TB exam isn't recommended for the general population. One of the problems with the vaccine is that you will no longer be able to take the PPD test. Instead you have to get a chest xray ever few years.

The PPD test always shows a false positive on me anyway. I always have to take a chest xray so I would just rather lower my odds and get the vaccine if there is one.