EMT-B Students!!!

Sasha

Forum Chief
urgent cares don't take EMTs,

I work in a pediatric urgent care clinic as an EMT..

And I do more than any EMT on the street. And get paid more than most medics.

aandjmayne

Forum Crew Member
Hey. Im 25 from Baton Rouge, LA and I finish EMT B School on May 14. Im excited because Saturday is my first 12 hour clinical. (We are only required to do 1 shift but Im doing 3 to get the experience under my belt.) Im really nervous. Any suggestions?? Thanks, Amanda

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Hey. Im 25 from Baton Rouge, LA and I finish EMT B School on May 14. Im excited because Saturday is my first 12 hour clinical. (We are only required to do 1 shift but Im doing 3 to get the experience under my belt.) Im really nervous. Any suggestions?? Thanks, Amanda

Only one?! Wow.

Bring food
Bring an attitude to learn
Enjoy your (limited) time
Don't be afraid to screw up, it happens
Don't be afraid to ask questions, that's what you're there for.
Again, enjoy. If you don't enjoy this job, there is no reason to do it.

aandjmayne

Forum Crew Member
I'll keep that in mind. I was debating on bringing my lunch/dinner whatever it is... (Im working a 7p-7a shift. ) Im a little too eager I think.. just nervous about the first time out. but I know Im going to love this job.. Thanks, Amanda :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Let me rephrase...

bring food for your PRECPTOR. You can starve :p

But really, keep your bg up, as having a student faint because of low bg is never fun... to the student. Always is to everyone else!

Ambulance or ED?

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
I'll keep that in mind. I was debating on bringing my lunch/dinner whatever it is... (Im working a 7p-7a shift. ) Im a little too eager I think.. just nervous about the first time out. but I know Im going to love this job.. Thanks, Amanda :)

Just in case you are too busy for lunch or dinner bring some quick snacks like protein bars. BTW if you weren't nervous then I would be worried!:p

Stewart1990

Forum Crew Member
Hi, I'm soon to be 19 and I'm starting EMT-B classes in the fall. I've been studying the basics for a couple of years now, just a matter of getting my certs. took me a while to get over my needle phobia though.

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Hi, I'm soon to be 19 and I'm starting EMT-B classes in the fall. I've been studying the basics for a couple of years now, just a matter of getting my certs. took me a while to get over my needle phobia though.

Welcome! Good luck with class!

john76

Forum Probie
hi everyone iam 32 and start my emt basic august 13.I think this thread is a greaat idea because iam sure we will all have a lot of questions as our classes progress i know i will.My first question is should i take a cpr class before i start my emt course?

EMT-Dan

Forum Ride Along
hi everyone iam 32 and start my emt basic august 13.I think this thread is a greaat idea because iam sure we will all have a lot of questions as our classes progress i know i will.My first question is should i take a cpr class before i start my emt course?

Hey John76,
It should be built into the course. That's how mine was; the first two days were CPR trainning and testing.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Some require CPR as a precourse. Some have it built in. Ask your counselor/instructors.

R/r911

tonitiger

Forum Ride Along
need some answers??

I’m 40 years old and live in North Hollywood. I’ve recently been working as a producer in the Film and TV industry for last 15 years. I’m recently laid off and wanting to pursue a dream of being an EMT/Paramedic. I hope to work in the field as well as combine my training with my movie work in the future.

I am in dire need of some guidance. I have questions that the internet just doesn’t answer.
Can you help me…please?
I’m looking into taking the accelerated course at CIEMT in Long Beach in May.
Do you have any info on that school?
Do you know of a better school?
What’s the difference between EMT I and EMT b?

I guess I just crave some answers from a “live” person.

Thanks in advance,
Toni

EmsPrincess*

Forum Crew Member
I'm starting school on May 4th and have been reading my book and making flash cards etc. I don't see myself having any problems with the material, in theory, my question is: How much field training can I expect to get before actually being on the job? I mean, there's really only so much that can be taught in the classroom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stewart1990

Forum Crew Member
thats a question i have too...i can take on but it takes moolah here so i need to know.

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Some require CPR as a precourse. Some have it built in. Ask your counselor/instructors.

R/r911

Yes contact your school. My school had it built in as a weekend class but at my friends school they had to have their CPR Cert before enrolling.

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
How much field training can I expect to get before actually being on the job? I mean, there's really only so much that can be taught in the classroom.

It depends on how much your school requires and also allows you to do. It also all depends on what type of calls you get when doing your ride outs.

My school required and only allowed us to do 40 hours. It may seem like a lot but it's not.

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
So yea school is almost over. Last day is May 15th. We have written final on the 1st and then skills on the 8th. I am going to be sad when it is over. The majority of the class has formed such a close bond with each other that we actually talk and see each other out side of class quite often.

It's kinda funny looking back. I was so anxious and nervous to start school. It finally started and everything seemed so overwhelming. Now with only a couple more weeks to go I am like wow I can't believe I am almost done.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
That's what class does to ya. I can't wait for medic class to start, as it will be like that for a full year.

AS for how much time you can expect to do in a truck during class, that depends solely on your school. Mine required 36 hours ER, and 48 hours ambulance. I did about 130 total.