EMT-B Students!!!

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
During EMT-B courses, do you ever learn to "jimmy-rig" something to be used as a barrier? (if a mask isn't available, or the CPR barriers aren't available) If so, what is typically done/used? (I've bought CPR Barriers, but just curious just in case, any advice on the matter for us civilians?)

I'm just curious on what you're taught in the EMT-B on this.

you can use part of your tshirt as an effective barrier. or a handkerchief

Last edited by a moderator:

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
During EMT-B courses, do you ever learn to "jimmy-rig" something to be used as a barrier? (if a mask isn't available, or the CPR barriers aren't available)

linus, are there any "jerry rig" fixes you know of. I acknowledge they are both sucky barriers but i feel that answered his question.

Rob123

Forum Crew Member
During EMT-B courses, do you ever learn to "jimmy-rig" something to be used as a barrier? (if a mask isn't available, or the CPR barriers aren't available) If so, what is typically done/used? (I've bought CPR Barriers, but just curious just in case, any advice on the matter for us civilians?)

Nothing should be jerry-rigged... unless you are on an episode of MacGyver or The A-Team.

If you don't have a barrier and don't know the victim you could do compressions only. It's better than nothing. I'm sure you know that you can purchase a pocket CPR mask or a key chain version for around $5.

Obviously you can do mouth-to-mouth if you are willing to take the risk (as with friends/family)

Last edited by a moderator:

That_Guy

Forum Crew Member
Nothing should be jerry-rigged... unless you are on an episode of MacGyver or The A-Team.

If you don't have a barrier and don't know the victim you could do compressions only. It's better than nothing. I'm sure you know that you can purchase a pocket CPR mask or a key chain version for around $5.

Obviously you can do mouth-to-mouth if you are willing to take the risk (as with friends/family)

I have a pocket CPR mask, I was just curious "just in case" ya know?

That_Guy

Forum Crew Member
Hmmmm. As an on duty BLS responder, you would have your tools. As a lay person or by stander you may not. Do accordingly....pretty easy! Just because a person IS BLS certified, does not mean he/she is required to carry a mask at all times. Without your toys, you are just "that guy".......couldn't resist :>)

:p:rolleyes:

lol you made me spill my milk, jerk.

But yeah, where do you gentlemen typically go for your PHTLS?

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
K, I was just checking.

Because AHA and ARC both had 30 compressions, and two breaths. However, I was informed by a FF that in a while it's going to be just compressions, and no breaths. Which is why I was clarifying, because I was curious if that change is in effect yet.
I don't think that change will be coming our way at the ASHI and AHA professional rescuer layer. I believe the compressions only is for bystanders or people not formally trained in cpr. many bystanders were afraid to go mouth to mouth or did not know CPR so they would do nothing. Just doing compressions is better than just doing the ambulance dance.
It's called cardiocerebral resuscitation, and you may see/hear of it being used more and more frequently in the next few years by those in EMS. There were a couple of threads about it here in the last year or two and it's very easy to find info on if you do a google search; interesting results and reasoning and worth a look. It's been used fairly widely in Arizona and I think Wisconsin (may have been Michigan; one of those frozen states anyway ;)) for several years with great results.

Sasha

Forum Chief
It's called cardiocerebral resuscitation, and you may see/hear of it being used more and more frequently in the next few years by those in EMS. There were a couple of threads about it here in the last year or two and it's very easy to find info on if you do a google search; interesting results and reasoning and worth a look. It's been used fairly widely in Arizona and I think Wisconsin (may have been Michigan; one of those frozen states anyway ;)) for several years with great results.

Doesn't it function on the idea that there is A) already O2 in circulation and B ) that the compressions create a sort of vacuum and pull air into the lung by itself without disrupting circulation to ventilate?

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Doesn't it function on the idea that there is A) already O2 in circulation and B ) that the compressions create a sort of vacuum and pull air into the lung by itself without disrupting circulation to ventilate?
In a very basic nutshell, yes, it's along those lines. There's much more to it than that but...like I said, it's worth reading up on. At one point it was reccomended that a NRB was placed instead of PPV for (I believe) the first 3 cycles and only then intubate. Last I heard it was changed to a NRB if aganol respirations were present and placement of a tube without the use of a BVM in fully apneic pt's until 3 cycles where complete and then begin PPV. (I haven't looked into this for awhile so I may be wrong)
isn't one of the indications for CCR that the arrest was witnessed and CCR began almost immediately?
No, it can be (though this part may be disputed by some people studying it; think it was at one point) done on anyone IF the cause of the arrest is presumed to be cardiac in origin; if you have cause to believe it was due to respiratory arrest, not the best idea to use CCR.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
placement of a tube without the use of a BVM in fully apneic pt's until 3 cycles where complete and then begin PPV.

If that's what it is, that's kind of stupid for a couple reasons:

1) If someone tubes, they darn well better have a BVD in the first place.

2) Law of science says it takes more pressure to inhale through a straw then it does to go through the mouth alone, and I doubt any sort of vaccuum done by compressions only would overcome that.

Add on the fact that the molecular weight of O2 about 1/3 less then CO2, and I don't see CO2 forcing it's way out of a tube to diffuse with the surrounding air that much.

What does interest me is the studies going on for Abdominal compressions, though.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
That part never made a lot of sense to me either. Of course I also may be misremembering and it never was recommended to do that; don't really know.

What I can say is that currently the most recent recommendations are: vfib/pulseless vtach-if aganol respirations place a NRB and OPA, no intubation until ROSC or the respirations stop. If no aganol respirations 3 cycles of CCR (about 6-8 minutes) and then intubate. If asystole/PEA-aganol respirations no change from vfib/vtach, without aganol respirations intubate after the first cycle (about 2 minutes of so). It also calls for even slower rates of ventilation than with standard CPR; 2-6 per minute.

That_Guy

Forum Crew Member
That part never made a lot of sense to me either. Of course I also may be misremembering and it never was recommended to do that; don't really know.

What I can say is that currently the most recent recommendations are: vfib/pulseless vtach-if aganol respirations place a NRB and OPA, no intubation until ROSC or the respirations stop. If no aganol respirations 3 cycles of CCR (about 6-8 minutes) and then intubate. If asystole/PEA-aganol respirations no change from vfib/vtach, without aganol respirations intubate after the first cycle (about 2 minutes of so). It also calls for even slower rates of ventilation than with standard CPR; 2-6 per minute.

I was unaware it was designated as CCR instead of CPR. (makes sense though)

Is it possible for a civilian outside of EMT-B class to get CCR certified? since CPR is 30:2. What are they making CCR?

DawnParr

Forum Crew Member
So, i'm starting class on the 20th and got a call the other day about my cpr cert. I don't have one, nor did i take a class in high school/college. SO, i am just wondering if anyone has any tips for me. What should i expect on the test. I'm getting my info from an emt near the school im taking my course at... but im anxious now lol. Thanks! B)

Hockey

Quackers
So, i'm starting class on the 20th and got a call the other day about my cpr cert. I don't have one, nor did i take a class in high school/college. SO, i am just wondering if anyone has any tips for me. What should i expect on the test. I'm getting my info from an emt near the school im taking my course at... but im anxious now lol. Thanks! B)

Easiest thing you'll ever do

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief

Don't worry about it. CPR is very simple and straight-forward.