EMT-B Students!!!

DawnParr

Forum Crew Member
Thanks... i might call tomorrow. :)

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Starting on Thursday. Stressed more then nervous or excited. Wondering how I'll find the sanity, or time to study with three screaming kids at home and a deployed husband. :wacko: I went through heck trying to get my shot records from the army. Fortunately I was able to find them but had to redo the TB anyway.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
What books are you following in your program? Friend of mine says they are starting with an older edition of the series I am using.

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
Hey 21 here and a friend and I are starting EMT-B in Missouri on the 22nd of this month....Any advise as to what to expect and pointers? National Registry exam is in Jan 10 and what all does the test compose of??

Thanks,

Chris Looney
EMT-B Student

If you remember NOTHING ELSE from your class, remember ABC's. It's honestly the biggest thing to know for the test. I'm just making up a BS question for an example:

"You're called to a house for a baby choking. On arrival, you find 14 month old Gabriel crying. The mom says he wasn't breathing a few minutes prior and was starting to turn blue. She says she thinks he coughed up the object. Based on the information, what do you do next?"

A. Give 5 back blows alternating with 5 chest thrusts until the baby stops crying.
B. Listen for breath sounds and use continuous pulse oximetry until arrival at the nearest ED.
C. Insert an Oral airway and transport ALS to the nearest ED
D. I'm out of ideas for answers :)

Well, first of all, the crying indicates the baby has an airway, so that's done. We can rule out choice C. The next logical thing would be Breathing, so B is likely the correct answer.

It's critical thinking questions like these that will decide your competency as an EMT.

Good luck!!
PM me if you have any other questions,

Jeremy

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
the best advice ever to pass the NREMT...

ABC's
CPR

all questions can be answered by this unless it asks about field operations...

51 RESCUE EMT-B

Forum Probie
I did my classes in July. We used the 11th edition Emergency Care by Brady as our study guide. It was awesome! Good instructors in Pennington. I just took the state exam on Tuesday the 25th. I am awaiting the results.B):)

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Hey guys! Wow I am surprised to see this thread still going, I haven't been on the site in about 3 or 4 months. Last thing I posted was that I passed all my test for school. Well I actually ended up having the highest grade out of all 250 some odd students! 2 weeks after that I passed my NREMT, the first time, and then got my county card and all that. Now I am just searching for a job like everyone else. Guess I need to change my signature now because I did survive! Good luck to you guys that are still in school.

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
Congrats! Happy to hear you did so well, good luck finding a job.

Hey guys! Wow I am surprised to see this thread still going, I haven't been on the site in about 3 or 4 months. Last thing I posted was that I passed all my test for school. Well I actually ended up having the highest grade out of all 250 some odd students! 2 weeks after that I passed my NREMT, the first time, and then got my county card and all that. Now I am just searching for a job like everyone else. Guess I need to change my signature now because I did survive! Good luck to you guys that are still in school.

Congrats! Happy to hear you did so well, good luck finding a job.

Chrissy88

Forum Crew Member
Hiya everyone!!

My name is Chrissy/Christina and I'm 21 and I started my EMT-Basic class in August, I'm a little more then half way through the semester and it's been very interesting, *much* more hands-on then any academic class I've ever taken (and understandably so lol), I've decided to go into the EMS direction for a few reasons.

1) I wanted to push myself into doing something where I would have to develop fairly thick-skin, confidence and interpersonal skills. I've lived an incredibly sheltered life, so while it *feels* impossible to get over my sometimes intense nervousness in the class, I think I'm making progress.

2) I feel the experience will be invaluable and it will give me the chance to volunteer at a rescue squad and work as a E.R. Tech while I finish getting my B.S. and work as a EMT-I/P throughout P.A. school.

3) I've gained a very strong interest in pursuing medical career and while I do want to become a P.A. (I've told myself Med school is out of the question) I also want to become a EMT-I or Paramedic and I would always continue to volunteer

Sorry I'm rambling now...anyways!

So far, the only complaint I would have for the class, is the tests, I'm extremely bummed out about the C, I got on my midterm. On a good bit of questions it appears like there can be more then one right answer. I will admit, some of what I got wrong was careless mistakes on my part. I hate getting the test, back, rereading the question and saying "UGH!!! Why I did I put that answer down, I knew better!"
I do talk to some people in my class, but I don't really feel like I'm a part of it, but I guess that's just me having to get over my shyness.
I agree, the A&P section is VERY small, but I'm taking an A&P class to compensate for that.

mcgrubbs

Forum Crew Member
Started my EMT-Basic class back on August 24th. Will be done Dec 7th.

Class is going quite well and I'm really enjoying it. I finished all my clinical hours, both ER and Ambulance, over a week ago. Fortunately, I was allowed to sign up for more. More Pt interaction/time on a truck has to be a good thing.

Chrissy88

Forum Crew Member
I start clinicals on November 6th ( my first is 6 hours at a rescue squad). A part of me feels like I shouldn't have spaced out my shifts out so much, but then it might be a good thing to have a week and a half or so to absorb what I observed, study the material more and think of questions to ask.

mcgrubbs

Forum Crew Member
Chrissy-

We are required to work six 4-hour shifts in the ER and two 12-hr shifts on a truck. I started all mine on the 24th of Sept. There are many students in our program that are just now starting and must have it all done by Nov 23rd. These are the same students that are complaining they aren't able to get the required Pt assessments/PCRs written.

I understand it can be tough, especially considering who your preceptor is on a truck or in the ER. My 2nd shift on a truck I got no written PCRs done as I was WORKING the whole time. My Paramedic precep looks at it as "students learn by doing". Honestly, we/I broke the Student regs serveral times that day because he flat out expected me to function as a member of his crew, not observe and "ride-along". It was good for me.

I've got 5 assessment/PCRs to peform to get my 20 overall. I'm signed up for two extra shifts in the ER next week, and I should be easily able to knock them out.

Kat

Forum Ride Along
Hiya everyone!!

My name is Chrissy/Christina and I'm 21 and I started my EMT-Basic class in August, I'm a little more then half way through the semester and it's been very interesting, *much* more hands-on then any academic class I've ever taken (and understandably so lol), I've decided to go into the EMS direction for a few reasons.

1) I wanted to push myself into doing something where I would have to develop fairly thick-skin, confidence and interpersonal skills. I've lived an incredibly sheltered life, so while it *feels* impossible to get over my sometimes intense nervousness in the class, I think I'm making progress.

2) I feel the experience will be invaluable and it will give me the chance to volunteer at a rescue squad and work as a E.R. Tech while I finish getting my B.S. and work as a EMT-I/P throughout P.A. school.

3) I've gained a very strong interest in pursuing medical career and while I do want to become a P.A. (I've told myself Med school is out of the question) I also want to become a EMT-I or Paramedic and I would always continue to volunteer

Sorry I'm rambling now...anyways!

So far, the only complaint I would have for the class, is the tests, I'm extremely bummed out about the C, I got on my midterm. On a good bit of questions it appears like there can be more then one right answer. I will admit, some of what I got wrong was careless mistakes on my part. I hate getting the test, back, rereading the question and saying "UGH!!! Why I did I put that answer down, I knew better!"
I do talk to some people in my class, but I don't really feel like I'm a part of it, but I guess that's just me having to get over my shyness.
I agree, the A&P section is VERY small, but I'm taking an A&P class to compensate for that.

Hi Chrissy! You sound soo much like me it's almost scary! lol Good Luck with everything! Good idea on taking the A&P class, that helped me tremendously

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Chrissy-

I understand it can be tough, especially considering who your preceptor is on a truck or in the ER. My 2nd shift on a truck I got no written PCRs done as I was WORKING the whole time.

I might be missing how your school does things, but why couldn't you have written the PCRs after pt contact?

That's how you'll get it done in the field. Hardly ever will you get the whole thing done with the pt in the pt compartment.

mcgrubbs

Forum Crew Member
In our program, we are not allowed to write a PCR if we did not do a complete assessment by ourself.

I did my shifts on the busiest truck in this county. There's almost no time for a student to do a COMPLETE assessment with history on each Pt.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Aw crap, I forgot I have to finish those. *mumbles* I found out we had to do them like a week after my ed rotation. :glare:

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Crissy,

Why is med school out of the question?

I used to think I was not smart enough for it, but now I am well on my way. If you want to be a doctor, aim for the stars, and if you feel iffy about it in a few years you can always go to PA school instead.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Crissy,

Why is med school out of the question?

I used to think I was not smart enough for it, but now I am well on my way. If you want to be a doctor, aim for the stars, and if you feel iffy about it in a few years you can always go to PA school instead.

Seconding this. The coursework is practically the same for an undergrad, so it's not like you'd have to choose right away.

Chrissy88

Forum Crew Member
Chrissy-

We are required to work six 4-hour shifts in the ER and two 12-hr shifts on a truck. I started all mine on the 24th of Sept. There are many students in our program that are just now starting and must have it all done by Nov 23rd. These are the same students that are complaining they aren't able to get the required Pt assessments/PCRs written.

I understand it can be tough, especially considering who your preceptor is on a truck or in the ER. My 2nd shift on a truck I got no written PCRs done as I was WORKING the whole time. My Paramedic precep looks at it as "students learn by doing". Honestly, we/I broke the Student regs serveral times that day because he flat out expected me to function as a member of his crew, not observe and "ride-along". It was good for me.

I've got 5 assessment/PCRs to peform to get my 20 overall. I'm signed up for two extra shifts in the ER next week, and I should be easily able to knock them out.

Wow, we got to sign up for our slots last Thursday and we have until December 7th to finish and turn in PCRs. Why did those students start so late?
I guess it's different for every state, but we're only required to do half the amount of Clinical time. 3 4-hours ER shifts and 2 6-hours or 1 12-hour at a rescue squad.
Our instructor said that we would not be using any of the skills we learned, except for helping in holding C-spine, CPR and taking vitals.