EMT-B starting IVs

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
EMTBs can't start IV lines because it's not in our scrope. If you try to start an IV line as an EMTB then you're action is out of scope. and you can be subject to disciplinary action.

Your scope can change depending on where you work, bud.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
EMTBs can't start IV lines because it's not in our scrope. If you try to start an IV line as an EMTB then you're action is out of scope. and you can be subject to disciplinary action.
Usually, you are correct. Some EMT-Bs are able to because they have taken the right class to add the skill and their local protocols authorize them to start a line. If you're one of those EMT-Bs, you'll know if you're authorized to start an IV.

PaulEMT

Forum Probie
I dont know how you can be authorized to start an IV line and be an EMTB because it's not part of the scope of practice.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I dont know how you can be authorized to start an IV line and be an EMTB because it's not part of the scope of practice.

The NREMT scope is a national guideline states/counties can set their own scopes. In some areas (ie Texas) the medical director sets the scope of practice for those working under his/her license.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief

Indiana as well, the scope can be expanded by the Medical Director if "proper training is provided"

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Each State/County/Local (whatever) EMS agency has authority to set their own scope of practice for their providers. It means that while someone is certified as an EMT-B through the NREMT, if the person has taken the appropriate additional education, that person may be locally accredited to perform that additional procedure/skill. That's separate from what the NREMT certifies.

In short, it's possible for an EMT to be accredited to start IV lines, intubate, give IM injections, give/assist with certain medication administration and so on. It all just depends upon what's allowed in that area.

In California, the State EMS Authority and the local EMS agencies set the scope of practice for EMT-Bs for each area. The EMT scope can be a bit different from county to county - even if they're neighboring counties or EMS systems.

PaulEMT

Forum Probie
Sounds to me that those "services" are going beyond what the federal gov't allows. Not a good idea.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Sounds to me that those "services" are going beyond what the federal gov't allows. Not a good idea.

As it was already stated before your scope of practice can change depending on the state, county, and agency you work for.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader

The federal government doesn't make any rules regarding provider scope. You'll note that you are neither licensed nor credentialed by any federal agency.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Well, if you want to know, the Federal Government employs EMT-Bs and teaches them a LOT of stuff that go way beyond any normal EMT-B course or scope of practice. Here's a hint: it's the US Military and they're part of the Federal Government. The Army 68W (for example) gets to do a LOT of stuff. They're just certified as EMT-B. Nothing more. Their scope depends upon their training and what their medical officer signs off...