EMT- B Exam coming up

surub

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys I have my EMT- B Assessment exam this coming Tuesday and, frankly, I am nervous as :censored::censored::censored::censored:. For the past week I haven't been able to sit down and read from my book.
Pretty much what I have been doing and making up scenarios up in my head and the go over in how I would treat the situation; as well as doing the JB learning questions online.

I mean is there any thing else I could be doing? I'm just so freaking jumpy! @_@

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Your making it way too hard. Chill out, you memorized the sheet? Then proceed in detail through it. There is only certain criteria that can fail you...

R/r 911

OP
OP
surub

surub

Forum Crew Member
Your making it way too hard. Chill out, you memorized the sheet? Then proceed in detail through it. There is only certain criteria that can fail you...

R/r 911

Nono, I'm not taking the Practicals, I'm taking the written exam.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Be sure you can answer the objectives found in the front of each chapter. Most tests are based from those. If you can answer easily, you should have no problem. Notice the areas you are weak in and review that area that corresponds to the objective.

Good luck,

R/r 911

OP
OP
surub

surub

Forum Crew Member
Be sure you can answer the objectives found in the front of each chapter. Most tests are based from those. If you can answer easily, you should have no problem. Notice the areas you are weak in and review that area that corresponds to the objective.

Good luck,

R/r 911

Alright I guess I'll hit the objectives in my book. Thanks :)

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Nono, I'm not taking the Practicals, I'm taking the written exam.

The skill sheets can be invaluable sources of information and knowledge on the written as well as the practical. Take some time to study them before you test.

whatevah

Forum Probie
I took it last Wednesday. Just chill out. :) Seriously, if you know your stuff, just take it easy. Many of the questions involve knowing which treatment is done FIRST in the process. Those the the tricky questions because you'll want to skip ahead right to treating the injuries thinking you already took care of BSI, scene safety and ABC. That's the best advice I can give you, what is done FIRST?

Besides that, follow general testing tricks... get plenty of sleep, eat a good breakfast, wear comfy clothes, etc. They really allow nothing in your pockets, so if you wear contacts remember to use your eye drops before you go in. Oh, and don't drink too much coffee... ;)

Good luck!

gosu4you

Forum Ride Along
One thing that I found helps me A TON in all my EMS training was this...REMEMBER YOUR PATIENT ASSESMENT, if you remember the patient assesment you can work through 99% of the problems you will see. Just memorize your patient assesment and also remember that EMT's ARE NOT ALLOWED TO GIVE DRUGS WITHOUT MEDICAL CONTROLS PERMISSION! If you remember those things and just review your skills, you will be fine.

A lot of the questions on the NREMT exam seems abstract and may have multiple answers that are right or wrong, just remember your training and be confident, also the test is "adaptive" meaning the test will change for you in response of your answers, it can get harder or easier at anytime. DO NOT let the number of questions you answer be indicitave of your passing or failing. For example, I took only 67 questions before I was told to stop, I was SURE I had failed, then I checked and I had aced the exam.

Don't freak out, if you fail you can always try again :ph34r:

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
In the interests of policing ourselves before the CL's have to do it for us, let's remember not to divulge specifics of the exams. Coaching in general terms (study the skill sheets, remember your basics, etc) have traditionally been OK to talk about, but getting into specifics of the exam (contacting med control before giving medications) is often viewed as the top of a slippery slope that will quickly gain the justified attention of the CL's.

(gosu4you, I was just using your comment as an example; I don't want you to think I was picking on you. Thanks in advance for understanding)

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
In accordance with Tincanfireman's request, I will make my suggestion in the most subtle, yet obvious way I can think of...

Remember your bAsics, BeCause that will keep you SAFE and PROTECTed...

mkayk55

Forum Ride Along
2 things - 1) have faith in yourself. If you change an answer, make sure you found the correct information in another question. Be 100% sure you need to change an answer. Most of the time your brain will take a 'shortcut' for you and if you overthink it and change an answer, 60% of the time we change them from right to wrong.

2) Well rested, had something to eat (not 18 cups of coffee).

okay 3 things. Throw out the two dumbest answers. Usually there are 2 fairly good answers and 2 really bad answers. Mentally cross off the 2 answers it could not be (Take 1/2 credit for what you DO know). Of the other two, decent answers, if one does not jump out at you then take the most clear, most detailed of the two. Usually you'll come out on top.

Good Luck! Best bang for your buck is review old tests and quizzes. Even if your training program will not let you take them off the premises they will usually let you sit down in a conference room and go over them and turn them back in. If you have old workbooks you've filled out, read through them. Don't go back and try to re-read all your textbooks, you'll go nuts.
Mary,
instructor, examiner
EMT-P program Cleveland Clinic Foundation

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Mary,
instructor, examiner
EMT-P program Cleveland Clinic Foundation

Here's a shoutout (and a welcome) from a born & bred Lakewoodite and a lifelong fan of WMMS, the Valley, and Coventry Road!

(If none of this makes any sense to anyone else, it's all *very* good stuff!)

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Good luck and let us know how it goes

andydrumm05

Forum Probie
I was about to post this exact same thread. I take my NR on the 31st of this month, and I'm nervous as heck. I am reading my book, and along with my book (Brady 10th edition) the publisher has online tests that I am also taking. I'm taking all the tests, then going back and hitting the book on the areas where I need the most improvement. So far, it seems like Peds, Geriatrics,and burns are my weakest areas, so guess I'll be hitting the book for those chapters. But this thread has been a big help for me. Everyone wish me luck!!

andydrumm05

Forum Probie
Oh, I had also heard that on the day of the test, go to the nearest bar and have a shot of whiskey, then walk in and take your test. :)