EMT-B class requirements

tehkryptonite

Forum Ride Along
I want to take a EMT B class this summer, since this is what I've wanted to ever since I was in high school. The only problem is that my birthday isn't until the end of this year, which makes me 17. I live in California, and I heard that I need to be 18 to take the EMT course. :sad: Right after the course ends (early September), I turn 18 so taking the EMT-B certification test won't be a problem.

What should I do? Should I wait until next year? How does the EMT school know that you will be 18 when you take the course? Do they do ID checks or something? Would my age be a problem?

Thanks!!!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Check with you local authorities. Most require one to be 18 to take the test, not to take the course. Yet, again I suggest having as much fun as possible and take some general education courses, then transfer into a well established program.

Good luck,

R/r 911

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
What should I do? Should I wait until next year? How does the EMT school know that you will be 18 when you take the course? Do they do ID checks or something? Would my age be a problem?

Thanks!!!

I believe you'd be messing with the Dept. Of Health if you tried to get away with not being 18, which is a VERY bad idea it could get you into alot of trouble with the least probbaly not being able to become an EMT. And as long as your 18 by the test date you should be ok.

EMTs must be at least 18 years old, be a high school graduate or have a GED

JPINFV

Gadfly
If I remember correctly, when I took the course in California through an ROP program (I was in college at the time, but there were a lot of HS students) you could be 17, but they wouldn't issue anything or allow you to take the test (NREMT) until you were 18.

OP
OP
T

tehkryptonite

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for all your replies.

I don't know the exact date of the NREMT certification test. Where could I find this information?

Also, the course also includes an ambulance module, 2 ambulance ride alongs, and one emergency room shift. Would being slightly under the age limit be a big deal?

Thanks,

MedicDoug

Forum Crew Member
A quick and non-comprehensive search of local EMT courses reveals that most require the candidate be 18 "by course completion". This is because you cannot be an EMT in California unless you are 18... and you don't want to hang around for months after your course completion to take your exams.

The best course of action for you is to call the instructor and find out... he/she will have all of the answers (or should!)

Good luck.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
We received an exemption to the rules once with an EMT-B student who turned 18 and graduated from H.S. during the class. By the time he applied for his card, he met all the criteria.

He is currently an EMT-P working for a civil department.

MedCoast Ambulance

Forum Probie
You can also get involved with an ems explorer post ...14 -21 years of age....a good way to be around like minded people and get training until you are 18. The post I ran many years ago let the explorers "ride out" on the rigs after they completed certian training (safety mostly) and were over 16 years old with parental consent

Just an idea

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I would strongly encourage you to speak with the people at a program you're interested in taking.

All of the printed/online information for the course that I'm currently enrolled in says that you must be 18 at the time of enrollment and have your HS diploma. However, I started taking the course while I was a senior in HS and 17.

I called up the program and told them about my situation and DOB, and they decided they would take me in the program. They just wanted me to be 18 by the time I started my clinical rotations in the ED and on ambulances, which I was.

So don't get discouraged just because the printed/online material says something. Make sure that you actually speak to someone on the phone or in person and try to work something out with them.

OP
OP
T

tehkryptonite

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the info, MedCoast Ambulance. I'm very intrested in doing the program that you discribed. Where can I get more infomation? I would love to do the ems explorer post while I complete my EMT-B training.

Also, thanks for the suggestions. I'll contact the head of the EMT program at the college and ask them about it.