EMT-B Atlanta

sdafbkfsdbkjdsf

Forum Crew Member
For the Atlanta area I know for grady its 20$ for paramedic and I think around 16$ for emt, they also do shift differentials.

High5sforSavinLives

Forum Ride Along
For the Atlanta area I know for grady its 20$ for paramedic and I think around 16$ for emt, they also do shift differentials.

Holy cow, lol I didn't know that EMT's got paid that much in Atlanta. Is that pretty standard for EMT-B's across the board for the city or just for Grady? I could definitely understand why that would be specific to Grady. Thank you for answering. :)

frdude1000

Forum Captain
I do not work for Grady EMS but I did do clinical time there. Grady as well as the whole state of Georgia does NOT use EMT-Bs or the new "EMT". All services here employ EMT-I/85's or AEMT's. You will NOT be able to get a 911 job as an EMT-B or equivalent and I am also almost certain you will be hard pressed to even get an IFT (or NET as it is known here) job. Not trying to be harsh, just telling you what I have learned coming to the state as an EMT-.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
Grady is DOE about pay, their not really on a set scale. They do have night and weekend diffs, but you WILL run your a** off. In the last 2 weeks of December of '13, talking with a Grady medic their were right at 138,000-139,000 calls for the year. Granted my company was right 130,000 so I know their pain. As was previously stated, GA does not officially use EMT's or formally EMT-B. Their is one service in the entire Metro area that hires for 911 and that is AMR in DeKalb County. All other companies in the Metro area require at least I'85. You can find a job with an IFT only company or working on at NET company(wheelchair, non medical stretcher, etc). Other than that, if your an EMT you options are don't move here, upgrade, move away from the Metro area where companies will hire what they can get.

Side note: GA is slowly trying to get rid of I'85 and is being replaced with the AEMT, also GA does not use I'99, if you were to come to the state as an I'99 they will give you an AEMT license. I'85s are still being issued I'85 licenses for the time being.

OP
OP
S

sdafbkfsdbkjdsf

Forum Crew Member
One thing about amr in Dekalb for EMT's you will just be a driver for 911, you won't run any calls. I really feel sorry for those people, and the medics as well.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
One thing about amr in Dekalb for EMT's you will just be a driver for 911, you won't run any calls. I really feel sorry for those people, and the medics as well.

AMR won't let EMT, or I'85 or AEMTs tech 911 calls. The Paramedic is required to tech all calls if it generates through the 911 system, and yes even if it is the literal stubbed toe at 3am. My company is the same way, though we don't hire EMTs, we have been doing it for about 2-3 years and to say most of our 911 medics hate it is an understatement.

OP
OP
S

sdafbkfsdbkjdsf

Forum Crew Member
Yeah it's not fun to tech every call, I bet people will burn out more quickly. And also if your looking into AMR they run every call with lights and sirens. Splinter in your leg, you get lights and sirens. I don't know any other place in Georgia that does that. It's kinda ridiculous.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
We do. Ambulance only? L&S. Going to stage? L&S. Fire running with traffic and you pass them L&S going to the same call. Welcome to private companies.

OP
OP
S

sdafbkfsdbkjdsf

Forum Crew Member
Oh wow at least your not alone, I felt like if a big accident were to happen the news would be in the topic on why we were running L&S for a stubbed toe. But i heard it was in the Dekalb county contract and that contract is very interesting.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
Meh, Dekalb is in the news for one thing or the other everyday. So im sure their not too worried about it. Our company looked at the contract bid and it was too much money just go get in the county and then they wanted the company buy the FD lp15s for every engine in the county.

OP
OP
S

sdafbkfsdbkjdsf

Forum Crew Member
Yeah Grady did as well but we couldn't come up with an agreement. I worked part time with AMR for a while. But I had to get out it wasn't my cup of tea you were practically fires mule and nothing more.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
But that Grady pay scale seems like a lot for a system that was on the verge of bankruptcy a few years ago. If I remember correctly, they had to fire lots of staff and had an overhaul of their directing board and had to bring in new benefactors. Of course, lots of it had to do with their public, no-turning-anyone-away operation that they run. The pay rates kinda surprised me.

OP
OP
S

sdafbkfsdbkjdsf

Forum Crew Member
That's when I came into Grady about 2 years ago I know paramedic was 20$ not sure about emt, they have been doing layoffs because of the Medicare thing that's been going around. And hiring people back but at a low pay scale. So a lot of people left because they didn't know if their job was stable enough. And with the layoffs they let go the people who have been there for years and made more. It was really sad.