EMT-B Ambulance Requirements

garnett

Forum Ride Along
Hi,

I am recently new EMT and interested in working for an ambulance company in Southern California. I have NO expierence besides passing the course and NREMT. I've never applied for a job before and was wondering if someone would give me some advice in regards to the application process, so forgive my ignorance.
Here is one of the companies qualifications..

My questions are in regard to number 6. How do I acquire a "Current Medical Examiner’s Certificate." Who or Where would I get this document from?

Required
1) Current California EMT Certification.
2) Current OCEMS EMT Accreditation.
3) Current CPR Certification, American Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer or American Heart Association BLS for Health Care Providers.
4) Current California Driver’s License.
5) Current California Special Driver Certificate, Ambulance, within 60 days of employment.
6) Current Medical Examiner’s Certificate.
7) Driving record acceptable under company’s insurance program.
8) Effective verbal and written communication skills.
9) Pass “Post-Offer” medical evaluation, drug screening and background process.
10) Meet physical standards for job functions, as defined under the pre-placement physical exam program, including ability to lift 137
pounds to waist level (approximately 34 inches), ability to lift 40 pounds to shoulder height and ability to ascend/descend stairs with 90 pounds.

I have or know how to complete the rest of the requirements. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It's called a DL51 form. You get it from the DMV. It's a document that you take to a doctor and they fill out the form as they do a physical on you.

OP
OP
G

garnett

Forum Ride Along
OK thank you very much, I have to go to the DMV anyway to get the Drivers Certificate. Thanks for the info, saved me from making two trips!

One last thing, Can i just print the form off the DMV website and have my doctor fill it out?

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
OK thank you very much, I have to go to the DMV anyway to get the Drivers Certificate. Thanks for the info, saved me from making two trips!

One last thing, Can i just print the form off the DMV website and have my doctor fill it out?

You'll still have to make 2 trips. In order to get your ambulance cert you have to do a background check (livescan), your medical card, and study book for the ambulance test.

In order to test you have to show a receipt that you paid for the background check.

RoadZOmbie

Forum Crew Member
Make sure you turn your medical examiner paper work the same time you turn in the app for the ambulance cert.

RoadZOmbie

Forum Crew Member

Yes and no.

They can fill the paper out but the green card is not available online. So just go in person for the form.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I love how they call it a "green card".

:lol:

RoadZOmbie

Forum Crew Member
Lmao!! True. I showed her my green card and she said "thats for you in case you get stopped and need to present it". Then she went on to explain the needed paperwork. Pretty funny.