Emt and seizures

Bluwolf

Forum Ride Along
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me. I have completed training as an EMR. I mentioned that I had seizures. I haven't had one in over a year. It has never been documented just stated that I may have seizures. I take no medication for it. I have been known to have symptoms of epilepsy from flashing lights and have had pseudo seizures which isn't considered a true seizure, basically stress induced. I can control the seizures and stop them from happening. My main instructor has talked to his boss and his boss had first said I just cannot drive the ambulance but then later said I cannot work on the ambulance at all. This is a career I've wanted most of my life. I am going though a volunteer program through the county. The fire chief says that maybe if I get a doctor to say that I am fine and no longer have them that might work. But the instructor says his boss says that a doctor cannot guarantee I wouldn't have one. I have never been truly diagnosed. The fire chief who is also an instructor talked with the county and the county still wants me to take the cevo and they want me to continue with the EMT, but he says its up to the main boss if I can. Is there anything I can do or anything anywhere that says that I can be allowed, there is nothing stating I do have them. I work very well under stress in medical situations. Or is there anything legal saying they cannot discriminate due to this especially since it is undocumented?

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Ummm... it’s documented. Everyone you work with knows it. You have a seizure disorder, go see a doctor and get treatment. You4 opinions on it aren’t medically sound nor correct.

If stress and flashing lights cause seizures, your statement, then you are a risk...to your patients as well.

Go see a doctor. They won’t tell you your”fine” if...YOU ARE STILL HAVING THEM.

OP
OP
B

Bluwolf

Forum Ride Along
I know for a fact there is no documentation.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
It’s documented. You told your boss, the county, your instructors. It appears you are willing to lie in order to play EMT. But go ahead, play a game. Have LOTS of insurance because you will need it.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me. I have completed training as an EMR. I mentioned that I had seizures. I haven't had one in over a year. It has never been documented just stated that I may have seizures. I take no medication for it. I have been known to have symptoms of epilepsy from flashing lights and have had pseudo seizures which isn't considered a true seizure, basically stress induced. I can control the seizures and stop them from happening. My main instructor has talked to his boss and his boss had first said I just cannot drive the ambulance but then later said I cannot work on the ambulance at all. This is a career I've wanted most of my life. I am going though a volunteer program through the county. The fire chief says that maybe if I get a doctor to say that I am fine and no longer have them that might work. But the instructor says his boss says that a doctor cannot guarantee I wouldn't have one. I have never been truly diagnosed. The fire chief who is also an instructor talked with the county and the county still wants me to take the cevo and they want me to continue with the EMT, but he says its up to the main boss if I can. Is there anything I can do or anything anywhere that says that I can be allowed, there is nothing stating I do have them. I work very well under stress in medical situations. Or is there anything legal saying they cannot discriminate due to this especially since it is undocumented?

This is also documentation.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Youve put yourself in a position where a definitive diagnosis is almost necessary. Talk tonyour doctor first.

mrhunt

Forum Lieutenant
Our company once hired a EMT with epilepsy. She couldnt drive but she was so terrible she couldnt really Attend either. Good times......Good times.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
What comes after a millennial? That’s this OP...

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Nope nope nope, 1988 is still Gen X/90s Baby lol. Millenials are after 90s Babys....Shut up, cant change my mind! *lalalalalalala*....

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Nope nope nope, 1988 is still Gen X/90s Baby lol. Millenials are after 90s Babys....Shut up, cant change my mind! *lalalalalalala*....
No it's not.... Gen Xers were born in the 70s, Millenials in the 80s and 90s.... however, those who were born between 1980 and 1984 are known as elder millennials, which are much different than your stereotypical millennials.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Is that like a back row of the nursing home?