EMT 911 jobs ?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I understand what your saying and it is correct. I have always heard them called fire shifts of fire cars. When you work with lacofd every shift is just becomes second nature
Yes, I know. Even when I worked there ages ago the coveted "fire shifts" were anything non-IFT related. In hindsight we sounded like a bunch of momo's.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
for those of us not from LA, what's a fire shift? I'm guessing it's a 911 ambulance that is stationed in a fire house with a fire department?

I would pick up a 911 shift before an IFT shift any day of the week, so if I'm right, I'm pretty shocked that there are plenty of open shifts (we always had more open IFT shifts than 911 shifts, as we couldn't get people to do the IFT shifts even if we paid them OT).

VentMonkey

Family Guy
for those of us not from LA, what's a fire shift? I'm guessing it's a 911 ambulance that is stationed in a fire house with a fire department?
You get to play with, and (un)learn from LACoFD's most incompetent excuse for prehospital medicine.

Some are in-house, most (thankfully) aren't/ weren't. That is of course, unless you're into being treated like a probie firefighter without the pension and pay.

Last edited:

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
(un)learn from LACoFD's most incompetent excuse for prehospital medicine.

Damn dude lol that's a statement!

I honestly never got why there is such a thing as a "fire shift" to me a shift is a shift regardless when I was a seasonal firefighter vs now as a EMT at AMR vs now as a paramedic student. All are shifts regardless of what patch is on my shoulder. Also "fire calls" to me are structure fires, auto fires, and wildland fires. I don't get the whole "fire shift" and "fire call" mentality.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
for those of us not from LA, what's a fire shift? I'm guessing it's a 911 ambulance that is stationed in
As far as I'm aware there's no privates in house with LACoFD (except in La Habra, the Orange County city that contracts LA Co Fire...not OFCA for...reasons?....anyway my understanding is La Habra itself contracted Care to staff their 2 ambulances and they're in house with LACoFD and dispatched on their dispatch but only for calls in La Habra)

But besides those two units, I'm not aware of any official in house (beyond "go post at this fire station and the crews will let you hang out inside") but yeah "fire shift" meaning running with fire (who is in charge of all 911s in LA and OC so fire shift is synonymous with 911 shift).

At least with McCormick every shift is a "fire/911/IFT" shift as every unit is up for 911 calls, and even the odd IFT thrown your way though I've gotten maybe a half dozen BLS IFTs while on a 23hr shift in the year or so I was there? The 12hr day car shifts that are considered auto first up for all calls they're in range of prob get a few more...but I can't comment for sure on them (depending on the ALS contracts at the time the medic units will either be running those all day or be sitting in the 911 rotation like a 'normal BLS unit)

wtferick

Forum Captain
As far as I'm aware there's no privates in house with LACoFD (except in La Habra, the Orange County city that contracts LA Co Fire...not OFCA for...reasons?....anyway my understanding is La Habra itself contracted Care to staff their 2 ambulances and they're in house with LACoFD and dispatched on their dispatch but only for calls in La Habra)

But besides those two units, I'm not aware of any official in house (beyond "go post at this fire station and the crews will let you hang out inside") but yeah "fire shift" meaning running with fire (who is in charge of all 911s in LA and OC so fire shift is synonymous with 911 shift).

At least with McCormick every shift is a "fire/911/IFT" shift as every unit is up for 911 calls, and even the odd IFT thrown your way though I've gotten maybe a half dozen BLS IFTs while on a 23hr shift in the year or so I was there? The 12hr day car shifts that are considered auto first up for all calls they're in range of prob get a few more...but I can't comment for sure on them (depending on the ALS contracts at the time the medic units will either be running those all day or be sitting in the 911 rotation like a 'normal BLS unit)
La Habra opted with LA Fire for financial reasons. Neighboring cities are either LA Fire and or MetroNet cities (Brea/Fullerton)
Care is now "In-House" with La Habra Heights as well.