EMS Pranks

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
The thing is that humor varies by region and location. Hunting carcass humor might not seem so funny to someone from the city. What passes for humor in the city might not seem so funny to someone from the sticks. What the British find amusing might be completely over the head of America. Etc.

Saytuck99

Forum Crew Member
I knew some firefighters that, when they had a new rookie at their station, after they fell asleep at night, they would wake them up by snapping the ammonia inhalant and sticking it under their nose. They would wake up jolted and jumping out of bed. :wacko:

Now that's funny.....

medic417

The Truth Provider
Or a little lasix in the morning coffee!

That is a criminal offense. I hope no one is that stupid or unprofessional to use any medication in their pranks.

spike91

Forum Lieutenant
Seeing as we're college EMS, while we have a very good call volume...the quality can suck. And we always have new guys eager to dive head first in. Drivers and crew chiefs get motorola 2 way radios (EX500s), so we put them to use. When we're in the station, and someone new passes out for the night, we'll turn our radio to pager mode, press the PTT, and it'll set off the tone for our radio only, and have whomever is asleep BOLT out of bed like a bat out of hell. Cruel but fun nonetheless

Captn' Tuddle

Forum Crew Member
We have a lot of 'The Office' fans where I work so I put my coworkers name tag in jello once. Later that day my boss came up to me and told me I was his hero. :)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Its only a criminal offense if there is a complainant to report it...

So breaking the law isn't breaking the law if someone isn't around to see it?

OP
OP
slb862

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
Had a casual call EMT that worked for the company, his fulltime job was a Sheriff Deputy, left his car in the parking lot one time. We got an old rescue annie doll, and dressed it in his uniform, then set it in the back seat of his car, seatbelted in. (for safety) Had a good laugh.

Oh and I made sure that all the blood had drained out, and it didn't have any fleas. (just a little humor there) LMAO

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Had a casual call EMT that worked for the company, his fulltime job was a Sheriff Deputy, left his car in the parking lot one time. We got an old rescue annie doll, and dressed it in his uniform, then set it in the back seat of his car, seatbelted in. (for safety) Had a good laugh.

Oh and I made sure that all the blood had drained out, and it didn't have any fleas. (just a little humor there) LMAO

That one I would actually like to see :p

Saytuck99

Forum Crew Member
So breaking the law isn't breaking the law if someone isn't around to see it?

No...but if the DA does not have a complaining witness then it cannot be prosecuted. Kinda like if you have sex with someone consensually vs not. Now, that is not to say it is not a violation of protocol and there can and would be administrative penalties including revoking your card...

Point is...if your dealing with good sports no criminal charges would result.

aewin90

Forum Crew Member
You know US EMS is already viewed rather poorly by the world .... and this just doesn't help.
I'm sure every EMS provider in the US stays awake at night, tormented by the thought that kiwi's don't respect them.

It's comforting to know that other EMS systems are immune to pranksters.

CowboyMedic

Forum Probie
Tuesday I refilled our soap dispenser up with a bunch of expired packages of lubricating jelly. Needless to say we were also out of papertowels and real soap at the station.
The later was hindsight that made it extra great when Bubba Gump our EMT Extraordinaire used it and 20 minutes later licked it! :blink:

MTEMTB

Forum Crew Member
Sounds like a guy I knew.
this guy was a wild card. Drove like mad at any tone and just drove everyone nuts.
Were at the local street dance, not in uniform. we tied a tampon to his belt loop and let him walk around for awhile.

Got him on a fire one night. I hit him with a stream from a 2" hose.
it was always a competition to see who could soak him on a fire first.

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
I like to hide in the back of another crew's rig at the hospital & surprise them by blowing my whistle when they try to put thier gurney back after pt turn over. Awesome!

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Here's a prank that I saw once.

One volunteer, who worked at a candy/chocolate shop, brought in a box of chocolate-covered strawberries for everyone to share and enjoy. Another volunteer, who was in physician's assistant school, thought it would be funny to wrap the box up in a cast.

So he left it like that for a couple hours, then started cutting it away. He wound up getting powder and debris all over the chocolate-covered strawberries, and nobody felt like eating them after that. Someone said that stuff was toxic.

The guy that brought that treat in didn't pay for them, but if he had, that would have been a big waste of money. As it was, it was a big waste of time, because he hand-made them all himself.

So like someone else already said, there are certain things that should be exempt from pranks. Don't mess with food, don't interfere with someone's ability to get to their paying job on time (remember that when you're freezing keys into a big bowl of water), etc. And of course, never do something that slows down or interferes with the jobs that we as FFs or EMTs are there to do.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Had a FF bring 6 large carmel covered Apples, covered in nuts to the station with a note on them not to eat them. He put them on the table.
I noticed as the shift went on that they disappeared 1 by 1.
At dinner time the FF mentioned that there were 2 left, and was curious of who besides himself didn't eat 1. I told him it was me, due to the fact I was allergic to nuts at that time.
no one else said too much, until he stated that they were carmel covered onions.

Another time a FF brought in a frosted cake, first person to cut a piece found out it was a moist frost covered balloon. Chocolate frosting everywhere.

one of our captains proved a point. food at firehouse will be eaten by everyone, he left a $20 on the kitchen table, and it stayed there for 4 shifts, and was only moved to clean the table.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Had a FF bring 6 large carmel covered Apples, covered in nuts to the station with a note on them not to eat them. He put them on the table.
I noticed as the shift went on that they disappeared 1 by 1.
At dinner time the FF mentioned that there were 2 left, and was curious of who besides himself didn't eat 1. I told him it was me, due to the fact I was allergic to nuts at that time.
no one else said too much, until he stated that they were carmel covered onions.
Wow, that's great, that's gotta be the best one I've heard yet...

Another time a FF brought in a frosted cake, first person to cut a piece found out it was a moist frost covered balloon. Chocolate frosting everywhere.
...I stand corrected, lol. :D

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
When I was dispatching at night I sent a crew, BLS (both relativelynew); on a run 2 blocks from where they were already at: told them they were assisting the FD with a Mass Cal: multiple unresponsives. told Non emergent per FD request.
Gave them the SE corner of a major intersection (0330 on Sunday morning).
when they got there they said there were NO EMS or fire on scene, and no patients. took them about 5 min to figure it out. I sent them to the city cemetary

OP
OP
slb862

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
You know you have to have a sense of humor to being in this or any job. It helps with the stress. We should find at least one positive, within the things we do daily. I love to laugh and enjoy life. Life is too short. No regrets. Not one person complained when any one of us would play an occasional practical joke. It was more fun to see who and how the favor would be in return. I love my job and I am good at. I am responsible, and I know when the time is the right time to play a prank and who I can play one on. Lighten up people. Laugh with me and at me. For those that think pranks are a waste of time...I dare you to Laugh,

No I double dog dare you. :lol:

medic417

The Truth Provider
You know you have to have a sense of humor to being in this or any job. It helps with the stress. We should find at least one positive, within the things we do daily. I love to laugh and enjoy life. Life is too short. No regrets. Not one person complained when any one of us would play an occasional practical joke. It was more fun to see who and how the favor would be in return. I love my job and I am good at. I am responsible, and I know when the time is the right time to play a prank and who I can play one on. Lighten up people. Laugh with me and at me. For those that think pranks are a waste of time...I dare you to Laugh,

No I double dog dare you. :lol:

You can blow off steam and laugh and have fun w/o the physical stuff that can cause harm, injury either directly or to the patients because of the response delays.

People love working with me. We have a great time and they do not have to be in fear of a stupid prank or worse a criminal act such as some have posted here.

Also think about how it looks when you show up on scene covered in KY because some idiot decided that would be funny. It gets all over you then you get there and look even more unprofessional than usual.