EMS Jeep Rubicon

chc1993

Forum Probie
Photos of our new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Purchased for use at the frequent off-road related events we cover.

Attachments

• dec 2011 018.jpg
    dec 2011 018.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,981
  • dec 2011 021.jpg
    dec 2011 021.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,326
  • dec 2011 017.jpg
    dec 2011 017.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,325

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
That thing is badass. I'm with dana on this one, sign me up!

One question though. How are you supposed to extricate the patient? I'm guessing if access is that difficult it'll be an MEDEVAC situation.

OP
OP
C

chc1993

Forum Probie
That thing is badass. I'm with dana on this one, sign me up!

One question though. How are you supposed to extricate the patient? I'm guessing if access is that difficult it'll be an MEDEVAC situation.

It's not really meant for transport. Generally an air ambulance would be used in remote areas. If the patient isn't on a backboard they can ride in the back seat to rendezvous with a box.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yeah that would really help you guys out in the Johnson valley area.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
They wouldn't let me drive one if we had it. My boss has seen my Jeep and her Nevada pinstripes. :D

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Definitely. We use that thing all over the county. Slash-X, etc.

You guys need to drive that thing down to desert regional so I can take a look at it.

I ride alot at Johnson Valley so I hope it never has to respond for me.

downunderwunda

Forum Captain
Sorry to say it looks really impractical. We have Toyota land cruisers that will allow transport of the patient. The only time it impractical is in a cardiac arrest.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Sorry to say it looks really impractical. We have Toyota land cruisers that will allow transport of the patient. The only time it impractical is in a cardiac arrest.

They cover a huge area that is used for all different kinds of off-road races with all different terrain (from hard dirt to extremely soft sand to rocks). Injured people get flown out from there alot (from what ive heard). If they don't need to be flown out then they are probably good to go in the jeep.

For their area (having gone there alot myself) I think it is practical.

BEorP

Forum Captain
They cover a huge area that is used for all different kinds of off-road races with all different terrain (from hard dirt to extremely soft sand to rocks). Injured people get flown out from there alot (from what ive heard). If they don't need to be flown out then they are probably good to go in the jeep.

If you're spending the money on a fancy 4x4, why not have it so you can transport a patient just in case?

Even thinking of in a disaster or MCI setting, a properly stocked 4x4 ambulance could be put into service as a front line ambulance if it could carry a patient.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If you're spending the money on a fancy 4x4, why not have it so you can transport a patient just in case?

Even thinking of in a disaster or MCI setting, a properly stocked 4x4 ambulance could be put into service as a front line ambulance if it could carry a patient.

Jeeps come off-road ready. Jeeps don't cost alot. So it doesn't cost alot of money to turn it into a response vehicle like that. The jeep probably costs $45,000 if that. A properly stocked 4x4 ambulance that is able to not get stuck out there is at least $100,000.

If the jeep does get stuck its alot easier to get it out then an ambulance...

Plus ambulances are extremely top heavy (not good for off road use with off camber areas). A ligjt jeep can cover alot more off road distance then an ambulance.

Last edited by a moderator:

JCyrus

Forum Crew Member
I'm a Jeep guy... My dad, my brother and I combined have around seven or so in the last ten years. Great vehicles, solid, and able to get you just about everywhere. And they're common enough that if you ever have a problem, you can google it or get on one of the many JeepForums and find someone who's had a similar problem and can help you solve it. I love Jeeps.

Seeing an EMS Jeep is probably one of the coolest things ever. That thing looks awesome. Although, I have to agree with some of the folks who are questioning the lack of transport capability for a patient on a backboard. I volunteer with search and rescue, we do a few event/race standbys a year, and if we ever had a team vehicle like this, I think being able to load the litter into it would be a high priority. BUT, I guess it all depends on what types of events you're working and what other resources you have available to you.

So, with that being said, just what kinds of events IS this Jeep being used for?

Again, kudos to whoever spec'ed this out for selecting a Jeep.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I'm a Jeep guy... My dad, my brother and I combined have around seven or so in the last ten years. Great vehicles, solid, and able to get you just about everywhere. And they're common enough that if you ever have a problem, you can google it or get on one of the many JeepForums and find someone who's had a similar problem and can help you solve it. I love Jeeps.

Seeing an EMS Jeep is probably one of the coolest things ever. That thing looks awesome. Although, I have to agree with some of the folks who are questioning the lack of transport capability for a patient on a backboard. I volunteer with search and rescue, we do a few event/race standbys a year, and if we ever had a team vehicle like this, I think being able to load the litter into it would be a high priority. BUT, I guess it all depends on what types of events you're working and what other resources you have available to you.

So, with that being said, just what kinds of events IS this Jeep being used for?

Again, kudos to whoever spec'ed this out for selecting a Jeep.

I would imagine that the jeep is used for all the different off road races that are held in the area. Everything from dirt bikes to trophy trucks.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Haa!!! Its a Rubicant--

Looks nice enough and I guess if it works yall than all the better. Yall have to use it.

I could put together a nice used Land Cruiser or Excursion for alot less money.

downunderwunda

Forum Captain

I work in an area that covers huge expanses of varied terrain. Mountains, sand, heavily wooded areas. Most of our patients are flow also, however, in order to do that with safety as a prime focus, (remember Danger to self, bystanders @ patient) there are times when it is not possible, for safety reasons, to winch the patient out in the area they are. We also have a variety of recreational people in the area. Mountain bikers, rock climbers. 4WD enthusiasts, motocross riders, bush walkers, varying in age from toddlers to people in their 80's +. On case, a motocross rider had to be moved 11 km to where he could be accessed by the chopper. He had major spinal injuries. How would yok move him, with his bystanders & chopper crews safety in mind.

BEorP

Forum Captain
Jeeps come off-road ready. Jeeps don't cost alot. So it doesn't cost alot of money to turn it into a response vehicle like that. The jeep probably costs $45,000 if that. A properly stocked 4x4 ambulance that is able to not get stuck out there is at least $100,000.

If the jeep does get stuck its alot easier to get it out then an ambulance...

Plus ambulances are extremely top heavy (not good for off road use with off camber areas). A ligjt jeep can cover alot more off road distance then an ambulance.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I mean why not get an SUV with a stretcher instead (not a full ambulance with four wheel drive). I was thinking something like the Land Rovers used in the Northern Territory (http://www.stjohnnt.org.au/index.php/en/ambulance/vehicles/offroad-recovery). Not the nicest to work out of, but they can get you anywhere and take your stretcher patient out.