EMS isn't so Life-Friendly

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I find that working in EMS (at least private EMS), isn't really conducive to having a life or family.

Generally you work a 12 hour shift, which means you're either leaving really early in the morning, or get home really late. When you get home you're exhausted, and know you have to wake up the next day to do it all over again.

Then you got 24 hour shifts, a not-so-flexible schedule, and the need to pick up OT so you can actually make some money.

Still, people do it and make a career out of it. How? What is your trick?

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Get someone else with the same f'd up schedule. ;)

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Yup my husband has an even worse schedule than I do. And since I'm part time, I tell them each month which days I need/want to work. So rather than Jay work overtime I work to supplement our income and he doesn't have to work even more ridiculous hours.

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
MMiz said:
I find that working in EMS (at least private EMS), isn't really conducive to having a life or family.

Generally you work a 12 hour shift, which means you're either leaving really early in the morning, or get home really late. When you get home you're exhausted, and know you have to wake up the next day to do it all over again.

Then you got 24 hour shifts, a not-so-flexible schedule, and the need to pick up OT so you can actually make some money.

Still, people do it and make a career out of it. How? What is your trick?

Here is how I try to do it. I work 24 hours on, 24 off three days and then 4 days off just like most other folks do. I only work ot on the 48 hour weeks. I also have an agreement with my wife that I will only work ot 2 weeks a month and never weekends. Another trick I try to do is work a 36 hour shift at the end of my set. Exhausting to say the least but it saves needing to leave the house early a couple days a month.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
For me, it is easy. I just have no life...

Actually, my schedule is 7a-3p, M-F. This isn't so bad for evening meetings, and I sometimes even work my other job in the evenings.

BUT.... I can't go out on a weeknight and "go drinking" with friends (not that I'd want to anyway)- why? Because I need to be at 100% at 0700 for work.

And you haven't had a challenge until you've tried to co-ordinate schedules to "hang out" with someone who works 3p-11p.

gradygirl

TROUBLE
I love EMS and being an EMT, but things get really strained sometimes.

First of all, I'm a college student above all else. Secondly, our shifts are either 14 hour night shifts or 24 hour weekend shifts. Thirdly, we have people skell out occassionally, so us commited folks have to pick up the slack. Fourthly, our scheduling is wacked (I once worked 61 hours in a 72 hours period). Lastly, we live with our pts. and see many of them daily, so if something bad goes down on scene, there is a high probability it will carry over into your personal life.

All of that being said, I wouldn't give up my job for the world.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
After being in EMS for nearly 18 years with 24 hr shifts type schedule, I long awaited to have a "normal" 9-5 job. I finally obtained one ... and hated it. Geez, could never get anything accomplished, everything had to be performed on Saturday before they closed.

So then I went to 12 hr shifts as an nurse.. God, this was even more horrible! Get off just long enough to go home and sleep, wake back up to do it all over again... and especially night shift. (unless you are geared for that).

Ahhhhh . finally, returned to my good old 24 hr shifts again.. sure most of the time we are so busy at night, some of the in-between days you may have to sleep, but even at that I still have 20 days off a month.

R/r 911