EMS (in TN especially) is a joke

Tnaemt94

Forum Crew Member
As a kid, I admired the work of EMS and spent a large portion of my high school years preparing myself to become an EMT.

After I graduated and pursued a career in EMS, I realized how "bottom of the barrel" it really is.

I literally had a paramedic ask me how to spell a three-letter word. I was like, "seriously?" It seems like almost anyone can be an EMT or even a medic in this case. Well, maybe not everyone. But it seems the intelligence level is very low in EMS. Not a lot of bright folk.

Some of these people I work with look like they haven't taken a bath in ages. All of them smoke multiple packs a day to the point their uniforms are just engulfed with nastiness. The only decent guy is the one around my age who is 20 and has a dad that serves as the city fire chief.

I mean I don't mean to be a **** or anything, but there comes a limit to where you just really start to question.

Now, I am not saying I am perfect. I am far from it. But I can say I have seen a lot more well respected professions. And I believe a lot of it has to do with their appearance and how they conduct themselves too.

Second, there is not a lot of effort and changes put into EMS services here in TN. Not much progression whatsoever. In fact, the services are struggling more than ever.

Third, the reciprocity process in TN is utterly ridiculous. There was some discrepancies because all the licensing from the state I was coming from was done electronically. Tennessee was adamant to have paper copies of certificates and such. Plus, they were requiring additional info, like recommendation letters (as the "Good ol' Boy system TN has). I had to tell the reciprocity office that they were just not going to get hard copies and there was some unnecissary back-and-forth communication that had to be done which made everything longer.

I had an instructor for a highly credible EMS academy and a former owner of an ambulance service tell me Tennessee's EMS services are abysmal. Which I can see that.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
So how will you contribute to change for good?

Whining definitely helps, as does referring to this career as "bottom of the barrel." If you're better than EMS, feel free to well, maybe just eh uh don't work in EMS?

OP
OP
Tnaemt94

Tnaemt94

Forum Crew Member
So how will you contribute to change for good?

Whining definitely helps, as does referring to this career as "bottom of the barrel." If you're better than EMS, feel free to well, maybe just eh uh don't work in EMS?

I would really like to help better develop EMS because it has so much potential. Everything is so political

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Work for another department. Complaining to random people on a forum is not going to change anything. EMS will have the same caliber of people until education standards are raised like in other countries. With that being said. There are plenty of departments that have standards and most of the people you speak of don't slip through the cracks.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Just because your operation/department is a mess doesn't mean every EMS system is.

Just go apply somewhere else if you're not happy. I am sure every company would love an optimistic, hard working, mature person such as yourself who doesnt complain/whine whenever they don't like something.

-signed a low level intelligence medic.

MrJones

Iconoclast
Not quite sure about the purpose of this thread. All I see is a rather rambling complaint about the OP's chosen profession. In other words, reality caught up with his idealized view of EMS once he actually started practicing. With that in mind, please accept my humble suggestion: Do yourself and those you currently work with a favor and get out now. Judging from you specific complaints and your non-specific remedy ("help better develop EMS"? Do tell.) it is clear that you will never be happy in this profession. And, since your age is "around 20" you have plenty of time to find something better suited for your needs and abilities.

OP
OP
Tnaemt94

Tnaemt94

Forum Crew Member
Just because your operation/department is a mess doesn't mean every EMS system is.

Just go apply somewhere else if you're not happy. I am sure every company would love an optimistic, hard working, mature person such as yourself who doesnt complain/whine whenever they don't like something.

-signed a low level intelligence medic.
I have worked with some kick *** firemedics in Colorado. But most of the ones I thought were awesome were ones affiliated with the fire departments

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I have worked with some kick *** firemedics in Colorado. But most of the ones I thought were awesome were ones affiliated with the fire departments
Most of the fire departments in Colorado are BLS and contract private services to provide the EMS component.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I like West Metro fire A LOT. They have both ALS engine companies and ALS ambulances.
Even as a completely non fire kind of guy, I do think West Metro and South Metro do fire based EMS the right way. I still think there are better models though, and there are plenty of outstanding EMS providers in the state of CO who have never felt the need to roll a hose.

OP
OP
Tnaemt94

Tnaemt94

Forum Crew Member
Even as a completely non fire kind of guy, I do think West Metro and South Metro do fire based EMS the right way. I still think there are better models though, and there are plenty of outstanding EMS providers in the state of CO who have never felt the need to roll a hose.

True. I was more impressed with the EMS in Colorado more so than in Tennessee. I feel I made an excellent choice getting my AEMT out there.

MS Medic

Forum Captain
First, it sounds like you might just be in a crappy service. I've work for a short period in one or two of those and those types of operations tend to draw lower caliber employees or beat the caring out of anyone who stays there. But those places can't be used as the measuring stick for everyone.

Second, where I'm from the state EMS office is nothing more than a state agency designed to bilk money out of the industry and those involved in it to generate revenue for the state. Actual regulation and policy comes from the state health department. Since I'm a resident of a neighboring state, I would suspect you have the same issues.

Lastly, coming onto a forum with people who care enough about the profession to discuss it in their spare time and telling us how much of a joke it is not only wont accomplish anything but it doesn't win anyone over to your cause either.

OP
OP
Tnaemt94

Tnaemt94

Forum Crew Member
First, it sounds like you might just be in a crappy service. I've work for a short period in one or two of those and those types of operations tend to draw lower caliber employees or beat the caring out of anyone who stays there. But those places can't be used as the measuring stick for everyone.

Second, where I'm from the state EMS office is nothing more than a state agency designed to bilk money out of the industry and those involved in it to generate revenue for the state. Actual regulation and policy comes from the state health department. Since I'm a resident of a neighboring state, I would suspect you have the same issues.

Lastly, coming onto a forum with people who care enough about the profession to discuss it in their spare time and telling us how much of a joke it is not only wont accomplish anything but it doesn't win anyone over to your cause either.

I like EMS in itself. I have been exposed to some very sharp departments. The actual licensing itself in Colorado did not cost me a penny. It was the prerequisites that did (such as fingerprinting, background check, etc.). But even the prerequisites did not cost as much.

When I returned to Tennessee I paid around $700 just for reciprocity fees and even the license itself costed me a few hundred.

Secondly, I have yet to work for a department that was top-notch in Tennessee. The public sector EMS can be just as bad as some of the private sector EMS services. I have worked for both in Tennessee. The integrity of some of these departments are just shot.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I like EMS in itself. I have been exposed to some very sharp departments. The actual licensing itself in Colorado did not cost me a penny. It was the prerequisites that did (such as fingerprinting, background check, etc.). But even the prerequisites did not cost as much.

When I returned to Tennessee I paid around $700 just for reciprocity fees and even the license itself costed me a few hundred.

Secondly, I have yet to work for a department that was top-notch in Tennessee. The public sector EMS can be just as bad as some of the private sector EMS services. I have worked for both in Tennessee. The integrity of some of these departments are just shot.
But again, so what? What are you going to do about it? Griping is just annoying.

Jdog

Forum Crew Member
Keep in mind too that EMS is a great stepping-stone for other healthcare careers (RN, PA, MD, etc...). If you decide EMS isn't what you want to do for the rest of your life, you can apply the experience you gain now to whatever you do in the future. Try to stay positive and look for the bright side in things. It'll help you get through the days better.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I can't think of any other careers that are this harsh on themselves without offering productive ways to improve. At some point, we seem to have moved beyond eating our young into criticizing ourselves, our co-workers, and the very institution itself without ever remembering that we all chose to do this at one point. If we forget the good things we do it becomes all too easy to get sucked into consistent negativity.

No one is saying modern EMS is perfect, or even decent at some of the things we do. We all know the criticisms, and there's a lot of value in discussing problems in a forum like this so we can all collectively improve our practices as individuals and organizations. Constructive criticism is necessary for progress, and we should all have open minds to recognize our flaws.

On the other hand, we've all presumably come to this forum because we either were or are involved in EMS in some capacity and have a legitimate desire to affect a positive change. Perhaps I'm still intolerably naive, but I think that's pretty cool. Why not use a speck of optimism and confront our problems from the position that we are working on something that is actually worth the effort? If we all gave up on EMS (or anything else) after seeing a particular negative side of it there would be no one left to fix the problems.

If you find yourself overwhelmed and losing sight of the positive things we do, reevaluate your work environment, work/life balance, and personal educational/career goals. Decide what needs to be fixed, and do what you can to fix that for yourself. Don't expect the world to change to accommodate your issues, because it won't. If you decide you want to improve conditions where you are, start being a good example. Recognize that not all changes are going to occur overnight, and if you're interested in changing "big picture" items you will likely need to be invested for the long term.

I still find value in what we do. If I didn't think the good outweighed the bad, I'm sure it would be difficult to continue. Hopefully you figure this out for yourself, but if you don't believe in what you're doing anymore, it's time to move on. I don't think most providers choose to be apathetic or poor clinicians, but if you're disaffected this early and continue on that path, that's likely to be the result. Best of luck, and hopefully you figure this out.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Keep in mind too that EMS is a great stepping-stone for other healthcare careers (RN, PA, MD, etc...). If you decide EMS isn't what you want to do for the rest of your life, you can apply the experience you gain now to whatever you do in the future. Try to stay positive and look for the bright side in things. It'll help you get through the days better.
That's the biggest problem with ems. Everyone looks at it as a stepping stone

reaper

Working Bum
I am buying all this. Early 20 something person, but has worked for so many services, in multiple states?

Since we do not know the entire story, we can not even start to comment on anything. Yes, some services are terrible and some just have a few bad apples. Does not mean the entire state of TN is bad. There are some very good services in TN.

If you paid nearly $1000 for your TN cert, then you did something wrong. So, stop complaining and look to where the problem is. If you do not like the service, leave. If you do not like the State, leave. If you do not like EMS, please leave now!

Jdog

Forum Crew Member
That's the biggest problem with ems. Everyone looks at it as a stepping stone

Disclaimer: I'm from Orange County, California, so things might be a little different here than other areas.

Obviously if you have a passion for EMS, you will find a way to make it a career. I am not trying to discredit that. But personally, I can't justify one day trying to raise a family on $10-15/hour and rolling all my dice on getting a fire gig. I'd rather raise a family on RN, PA, NP, or MD salary.

Now, that's just me personally. There's many who have made a career in EMS and are doing alright for themselves. But to achieve my personal goals, I need health care experience. And EMT is a one-semester course that offers me the opportunity to get valuable experience. I don't think that's a bad thing. The problem is that private companies know this and therefore, to them, EMTs are a dime a dozen and expendable. And now we are at a loop. How do I get health care experience? But then how do career-seeking EMTs get paid a proper wage?

The answer is that EMTs probably won't. The only way to make EMS a career around here is to get your paramedic and pray to the fire gods that you land a fire gig. I think until that changes, people wanting a career in healthcare will, for the most part, view EMS as a stepping stone.

MS Medic

Forum Captain
I'm going to have to disagree with you a little on this one Jordy. There are plenty of people who go on to paramedic for the pay and they are some of the worst offenders of many of the complaints that are aired here because the only thing that motivated them was the pay check.