EMS Identity and Uniform Survey

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Sorry for the delayed response hear. I have recently moved (to North Carolina) and was not receiving updates from this thread.
there are several variables to consider, mostly along the lines of who will be wearing the uniform and in what capacity.

Where in NC did you move to? If you are local to the triangle, you can bring me on as a SME consultant; I have been known to work for a good meal, or other compensatory methods.

SpecialK

Forum Captain
Appreciate the outline SpecialK! We are definitely digging into what other countries are doing. I learned quickly upon entering this industry that, at least in the US, that 'if you know 1 EMS agency, you know 1 EMS agency.' Point being that there is so much diversity is agency structures in the US that our goal is not to standardize but drive uniformity across certain aspects while enabling configurabililty to the specific agency's needs across others. Please keep sending over any info that you think we should know about!

All I can say is this isn't bloody Ambulance Ltd i.e. not some for profit company concerned about being nice and attractive looking; uniform should be safe, functional and easily identify personnel to others.

You see it now in the hospital as well, each of our DHBs has a custom made set of attire with their name and whatever printed on it; yet all the sheets and laundry are just bulk ordered with "HOSPITAL" written on it. Because having a single, national set of garments which you bulk order for the entire country is just too logical for the public health system?

OP
OP
J

JSmith27

Forum Crew Member
there are several variables to consider, mostly along the lines of who will be wearing the uniform and in what capacity.

Where in NC did you move to? If you are local to the triangle, you can bring me on as a SME consultant; I have been known to work for a good meal, or other compensatory methods.
Moved to Greenville. Would love to connect live and get your thoughts on our current prototypes. Where are you based out of?

OP
OP
J

JSmith27

Forum Crew Member
All I can say is this isn't bloody Ambulance Ltd i.e. not some for profit company concerned about being nice and attractive looking; uniform should be safe, functional and easily identify personnel to others.

You see it now in the hospital as well, each of our DHBs has a custom made set of attire with their name and whatever printed on it; yet all the sheets and laundry are just bulk ordered with "HOSPITAL" written on it. Because having a single, national set of garments which you bulk order for the entire country is just too logical for the public health system?
That is the goal!

agregularguy

Forum Lieutenant
Moved to Greenville. Would love to connect live and get your thoughts on our current prototypes. Where are you based out of?

...Greenville SC or NC? If SC, I can also be brought on for the low, low price of beer to give thoughts on prototypes :)

Edit: Disregard, saw the NC earlier in the thread now

DrParasite

I'm in Raleigh. Send me a PM, maybe we can schedule something.

OP
OP
J

JSmith27

Forum Crew Member
I know that it has been a while since this conversation was active....prototyping, field testing, and even testing our concepts at a local trade show. Yet, I wanted to let this group know that we are going live this month with the output of your inputs....THE FIRST AND ONLY HIGH PERFORMANCE UNIFORM DESIGN FOR MEDICS BY MEDICS.

You can learn more about our purpose and story at the below links. We sincerely want to thank you for your input and support as it influenced our development. Our research (being out in the field talking with you - MEDICS) extends over 9 months and includes input from hundreds of field medics and administrators. We have a product that is different, but one that we believe and hope will help impact EMS for the better - safety, performance, and professional identity.

https://www.theunityems.com/
https://www.facebook.com/theunityems/

If you agree with our purpose, please like us on facebook and share to anyone else that may be interested!

We would love to keep the conversation going, so please continue to provide your feedback....THANK YOU AGAIN AND THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Don't you think that simply making a navy blue shirt kind of lets the air out of this argument? I love the idea, but one of the biggest complaints in being confused with Jiffy Lube or LEO is the lack of standard identification. That can be linked back to the lack of a single distinct identifying color.

The UK, and others who follow their model, have it right. EMS wears distinctive GREEN uniforms that are not easily confused with LEO or Fire.

DrParasite

"Don't shoot Paramedic" is pretty embarrassing. It looks stupid. Paramedic is good enough, and do you really think the bad guy is going to care if it says don't shoot?

Then again, you might be right.... can I get one that says "DON'T SHOOT, DON'T HIT, DON'T SPIT AT, DON'T PUKE ON, AND DON'T STAB!!! FIREFIGHTER/EMT"? I hope you see where I am going with this.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the star of life on the back. Agency name is more than enough. keep the SOL on the front though. I'm assuming the lettering is all reflective correct? is the white areas on the sides (that I am guessing help the shirt breathe) also reflective?

OP
OP
J

JSmith27

Forum Crew Member
Appreciate the feedback! Did you have a chance to check out our story/purpose on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/theunityems/)? Would love to hear your thoughts on this...this came directly from medics, so hopefully you agree.

The 'Don't Shoot' pic was just to highlight the problem but maybe not the best representation...we'll look for better. All of the finishings (Star of Life, lettering, etc.) are customizable per agency in reflective or digital print as well as the color scheme (essentially your agency can pick the two colors they want). We're going after more of a 'football uniform' approach in that regardless of color, name, etc. everyone knows what football jersey looks like and never confuses it with a baseball jersey. Thoughts on this? All materials used are durable, high-performance materials proven in activewear...the side is a mesh for extra breathability...medics who trialed it in field testing have love it.

Let me know what other thoughts you have....

OP
OP
J

JSmith27

Forum Crew Member
Don't you think that simply making a navy blue shirt kind of lets the air out of this argument? I love the idea, but one of the biggest complaints in being confused with Jiffy Lube or LEO is the lack of standard identification. That can be linked back to the lack of a single distinct identifying color.

The UK, and others who follow their model, have it right. EMS wears distinctive GREEN uniforms that are not easily confused with LEO or Fire.

I agree a single unifying color would help....but this was too much of an uphill battle (as of now) based on sups and admin feedback. EMS structures are much more diverse (private, public, fire-based, etc.) than other countries and sups expressed a 'must have' to be able to quickly identity his/her team from other agencies in the area and on scene....

I would also ask if a single color it really necessary? Look at sports, regardless of color you know the difference between a football and baseball jersey. This is what we would like to build within EMS....an design for you (specs/features) and an identity you can own (so little kids want to be medics on halloween!).

Love to hear your thoughts on this....

Last edited:

DrParasite

I would also ask if a single color it really necessary? Look at sports, regardless of color you know the difference between a football and baseball jersey. This is what we would like to build within EMS....an design for you (specs/features) and an identity you can own (so little kids want to be medics on halloween!).
navy blue T shirt with words on it, what do you think of?

Person in public safety wearing a clean white collared shirt, often buttondown, what do you think of?

white lab coat, what do you think of?

big red truck driving down the road, what do you think of?

Grey jumpsuit, covered in green slime, what do you think of?

KnightRider

Forum Crew Member
We use shirts made by Horace Small, which are company-issue. They are light blue button downs. Company patch on the right sleeve, US Flag on the left. I think the shirts suck and look cheap. We also use company-issue jackets, also made by Horace Small that are navy with the company name embroidered in them, which also dont look good. EMS pants provided by the individual (I use the 5.11's). We look more like the USPS letter carrriers then EMT's. I think if he had higher-quality uniforms to convey professionalism with a company patch on BOTH sleeves and maybe an EMT badge or something it would be better. Or even a high-quality polo would be good.

OP
OP
J

JSmith27

Forum Crew Member
navy blue T shirt with words on it, what do you think of?

Person in public safety wearing a clean white collared shirt, often buttondown, what do you think of?

white lab coat, what do you think of?

big red truck driving down the road, what do you think of?

Not sure what you mean hear...Help me understand this list?

OP
OP
J

JSmith27

Forum Crew Member
We use shirts made by Horace Small, which are company-issue. They are light blue button downs. Company patch on the right sleeve, US Flag on the left. I think the shirts suck and look cheap. We also use company-issue jackets, also made by Horace Small that are navy with the company name embroidered in them, which also dont look good. EMS pants provided by the individual (I use the 5.11's). We look more like the USPS letter carrriers then EMT's. I think if he had higher-quality uniforms to convey professionalism with a company patch on BOTH sleeves and maybe an EMT badge or something it would be better. Or even a high-quality polo would be good.

Appreciate the openness here....this is what we are trying to change and would love your support! - Like us on Facebook, share with your team....anything would help!

https://www.facebook.com/theunityems/
https://www.theunityems.com/

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Not sure what you mean hear...Help me understand this list?
018DE90D-CD4F-4170-8CEE-568B0ACAE444.jpeg

DrParasite

Thanks @VentMonkey!! I'm glad someone got it.

While I'm not saying what the EMS color should be, i will say that many industries have used color to be associated with their profession. thin blue line, thin red line, white coats, etc. In almost all of public safety, if you see someone in a clean white button down shirt, they are supervisor level person (chief, director, etc). You think of a certain outfit, and your brain knows what the job that outfit typically goes in. is it 100% accurate? absolutely not. but it helps build identity.

I'm not saying we should, but only that there is some validity in having a color for EMS, compared to simply a shirt design.

OP
OP
J

JSmith27

Forum Crew Member
Thanks @VentMonkey!! I'm glad someone got it.

While I'm not saying what the EMS color should be, i will say that many industries have used color to be associated with their profession. thin blue line, thin red line, white coats, etc. In almost all of public safety, if you see someone in a clean white button down shirt, they are supervisor level person (chief, director, etc). You think of a certain outfit, and your brain knows what the job that outfit typically goes in. is it 100% accurate? absolutely not. but it helps build identity.

I'm not saying we should, but only that there is some validity in having a color for EMS, compared to simply a shirt design.

Not sure what I missed on the ghost busters pic but I still enjoyed it! You dated yourself a little with this reference so good to know were relatively close in age ;)!

If you have an idea of how to rally the industry around a single color let me know. Maybe a long-term goal but industry leaders have clearly expressed that it will not accept this right now..so we're just putting one foot in front of the next right now and doing what we can....'Simply a shirt design' though I do take some offense to. Based on what we've been told by your peers, we're the first one to care enough about EMS to even try...try to create uniform that is designed around medic feedback and distinct enough to separate EMS from anyone else. We've had people shed tears when talking about the pride they have to be in this industry yet the disrespect/under-appreciation they feel. Is uniform the only factor in indentity no but does it influence yes...Ask the Yankees how important its uniform is to them? If EMS truly doesn't care about this, then we won't last very long and you can continue to pull your uniforms from police, military, golf polos, etc....and hope something changes

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
We've had people shed tears when talking about the pride they have to be in this industry yet the disrespect/under-appreciation they feel. Is uniform the only factor in indentity no but does it influence yes...

Wasn't going to weigh in until I saw this....I know surgeons at the top of the medical "food chain" that agonize over the disrespect/under-appreciation they "feel". That is a problem in every industry at every level and though it is more or less legitimate in some than others, it comes from what is inside the body far more than what is on it. If the novelty of a new look and feel helps, that is fantastic. But ultimately it comes down to the individual and what he or she is able to reconcile with expectations of life....

Sorry for the philosophical hi jack....been on my mind lately...carry on...