EMS Identity and Uniform Survey

JSmith27

Forum Crew Member
I hope everyone is having a great week!

My team and I are part of a young startup who's mission is to better empower, excite, and protect EMS, its professionals and the patients you serve.

We are conducting a short survey on your current perception of EMS, its identity, and your satisfaction with the uniforms you wear.

This survey will take less than 10 minutes and will provide invaluable input to develop products and technologies that meet the unique and demanding needs of EMS.

Below is a link to this survey, which is compatible on laptops and mobile applications. We sincerely appreciate your participation.

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/3717512/EMS-Identity-and-Uniform-Satisfaction-Online

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Looks like someone resurrected a bunch of old threads so they could get enough posts to be able to post a link.....

While the survey looks interesting, why don't you post some more information about your startup, who they are, what their name is, where they are located, and how you decided to come up with this concept.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
And now we know why you came in and spammed the board. You could have asked the site administrator for permission to post this survey first, especially since it's blatantly obvious that this survey is the only thing you are interested in.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Looks like someone resurrected a bunch of old threads so they could get enough posts to be able to post a link.....

While the survey looks interesting, why don't you post some more information about your startup, who they are, what their name is, where they are located, and how you decided to come up with this concept.
Ha Ha. I was just typing up something similar while you got yours in ahead of me. Lol

OP
OP
J

JSmith27

Forum Crew Member
Wow – tough crowd here . That is a great idea luke_31 about asking for permission. I wish I would have thought of that this morning and will definitely keep that in mind for next time. In full transparency, yes, I was required to post 5 times before being allowed to post this survey, so I tried to do it in the least disruptive/spammy way I could think of.

Our company, which is technically not even a formal company yet, is in the early stages of research and development. Prior to starting this venture, our team spent years in new product development for EMS, focusing on developing products to improve you and your patients safety. This survey and the problems it focuses on was inspired by discussions we’ve have with medics and agencies (public, private, etc.) over the years. Its purpose to get more feedback and ensure that we are aimed in the right direction and solving true problems.

I understand that this isn’t the typical post for this forum or please let us know if there is a more appropriate forum for this. We definitely come in peace !
Your input to this survey will absolutely have impact and drive the development of products specifically designed for you and your needs. Therefore, your responses or any additional feedback would be sincerely appreciated. I hope this answers your questions and calms any skepticism about our intentions.

Have a great day!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
This is a huge glob of double speak babble.

In the interest of transparency, who are you and what exactly did you develop?

Wow – tough crowd here . That is a great idea luke_31 about asking for permission. I wish I would have thought of that this morning and will definitely keep that in mind for next time. In full transparency, yes, I was required to post 5 times before being allowed to post this survey, so I tried to do it in the least disruptive/spammy way I could think of.

Our company, which is technically not even a formal company yet, is in the early stages of research and development. Prior to starting this venture, our team spent years in new product development for EMS, focusing on developing products to improve you and your patients safety. This survey and the problems it focuses on was inspired by discussions we’ve have with medics and agencies (public, private, etc.) over the years. Its purpose to get more feedback and ensure that we are aimed in the right direction and solving true problems.

I understand that this isn’t the typical post for this forum or please let us know if there is a more appropriate forum for this. We definitely come in peace !
Your input to this survey will absolutely have impact and drive the development of products specifically designed for you and your needs. Therefore, your responses or any additional feedback would be sincerely appreciated. I hope this answers your questions and calms any skepticism about our intentions.

Have a great day!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
We definitely come in peace !
Do you know how you can tell that a salesman is lying to you? his lips are moving..... So you will forgive me if I don't take your word for it.

So you are part of a start up that isn't really a start up yet, and you are doing some market research? I commend you for coming to a semi reputable source (all forums are based on user input, so the individual user can sometimes help or skew the reputation), but I would want to know a little bit more about your goals before I provide you free marketing research (that you will use to turn into dollars for yourself)

I'll let Chimpie decide if this is appropriate for this forum or not.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
If I didn't like my uniform, I could find another agency easy enough, plenty used the dark navy blues, a few with lighter baby blue, and even one known for white uniforms...i could even mix and match those with who issued badges, who didn't, even worked for one agency that had cloth sew on badges which I actually kinda liked.....but after being an EMT for 4 years and working for 4 different agencies each with their own uniforms I can tell you, that's pretty much the least important factor in deciding who to work for and why.....no one really cares what color your wearing.....now pay scales, benefits, shift schedules....those are important to ones quality of life

agregularguy

Forum Lieutenant
If I didn't like my uniform, I could find another agency easy enough, plenty used the dark navy blues, a few with lighter baby blue, and even one known for white uniforms...i could even mix and match those with who issued badges, who didn't, even worked for one agency that had cloth sew on badges which I actually kinda liked.....but after being an EMT for 4 years and working for 4 different agencies each with their own uniforms I can tell you, that's pretty much the least important factor in deciding who to work for and why.....no one really cares what color your wearing.....now pay scales, benefits, shift schedules....those are important to ones quality of life

Adding onto this, uniforms really don't ever play a factor into 95% of our choices in deciding agencies. I show up, wear what is issued. Some I find more flattering on myself then others, but that's not the point of this job. The clothing should just be comfortable enough to get through the shift in while looking professional. All else colour, design, etc wise to me does not matter.

That being said, if you promote the sale of white uniforms to field crews, shame on you. White and EMS should not mix. (At least in the field crews, supervisor I can be a little more understanding on.)

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Wow – tough crowd here .

Yes, the waters can be rough at times, but you're going to get good, honest feedback here.

This is a huge glob of double speak babble.

In the interest of transparency, who are you and what exactly did you develop?

I think he did a decent job of explaining what he's trying to accomplish.

As long as you're honest about who you are and what you're trying to accomplish, you'll be fine. Take heed: The group will dismiss you and your efforts at the first sign of false information.

So you are part of a start up that isn't really a start up yet, and you are doing some market research? I commend you for coming to a semi reputable source (all forums are based on user input, so the individual user can sometimes help or skew the reputation), but I would want to know a little bit more about your goals before I provide you free marketing research (that you will use to turn into dollars for yourself)

Semi reputable? :)

While I wish he came to me before he created the thread, I'm good with it.

SpecialK

Forum Captain
Uniform changed from white shirt/black pants (literally business attire) to UK style greens about 3 years ago.

st_john_uniform_-400.jpg

Good points
  • Sufficiently different from other staff to ensure ready identification of ambulance personnel
  • Includes the word "AMBULANCE"
  • Cargo pants and pockets
  • Flap over the buttons of shirt
  • No more "motorbike gang" vest
Bad points
  • Still two pieces which makes lifting/bending/squatting awkward sometimes
  • The shirt is less-than-ideally functional and still gets overhang cos it's a separate garment
  • ATP epaulettes makes it hard to see what level you are. I am told these were introduced because they're cheap.
  • Epaulettes are probably not necessary in any regard
  • Still unnecessary patches on arms
  • The belt is not very functional; a velcro/web belt would be better
  • Doesn't have "AMBULANCE" on the back
  • Very hot in summer
  • No high visibility strips
I would honestly prefer keeping the green cargo pants and introducing a high vis yellow polo shirt similar to what Scandy countries have that just says "AMBULANCE" on the front and back with a name strip. I don't think it's that necessary to identify individual clinical levels on the uniform.

OP
OP
J

JSmith27

Forum Crew Member
Do you know how you can tell that a salesman is lying to you? his lips are moving..... So you will forgive me if I don't take your word for it.

Sorry for the delayed response hear. I have recently moved (to North Carolina) and was not receiving updates from this thread.

OP
OP
J

JSmith27

Forum Crew Member
Appreciate the feedback. We're not naive enough to think that a uniform is the answer to all problems. That being said, we are digging into:
- What role does a uniform play in safety, efficiency, image, identification, etc.?
- Would there be value (to you as a professional and the industry as a whole) if EMS had its own distinct, clearly identifiable uniform?
- If a uniform were developed specifically for YOU EMS PROFESSIONALS - which to our knowledge has not occurred what would that look like?

OP
OP
J

JSmith27

Forum Crew Member
Yes, the waters can be rough at times, but you're going to get good, honest feedback here.

I think he did a decent job of explaining what he's trying to accomplish.

As long as you're honest about who you are and what you're trying to accomplish, you'll be fine. Take heed: The group will dismiss you and your efforts at the first sign of false information.

Semi reputable? :)

While I wish he came to me before he created the thread, I'm good with it.
Appreciate the guidance and support Chimpie! Our objectives are sincere and I know nothing other than honesty. You and the entire group please continue to push us....it's the only way we're going to give you a product that impacts HOW you do your profession and safety - not just whether its flattering or not.

OP
OP
J

JSmith27

Forum Crew Member
Uniform changed from white shirt/black pants (literally business attire) to UK style greens about 3 years ago.

st_john_uniform_-400.jpg

Good points
  • Sufficiently different from other staff to ensure ready identification of ambulance personnel
  • Includes the word "AMBULANCE"
  • Cargo pants and pockets
  • Flap over the buttons of shirt
  • No more "motorbike gang" vest
Bad points
  • Still two pieces which makes lifting/bending/squatting awkward sometimes
  • The shirt is less-than-ideally functional and still gets overhang cos it's a separate garment
  • ATP epaulettes makes it hard to see what level you are. I am told these were introduced because they're cheap.
  • Epaulettes are probably not necessary in any regard
  • Still unnecessary patches on arms
  • The belt is not very functional; a velcro/web belt would be better
  • Doesn't have "AMBULANCE" on the back
  • Very hot in summer
  • No high visibility strips
I would honestly prefer keeping the green cargo pants and introducing a high vis yellow polo shirt similar to what Scandy countries have that just says "AMBULANCE" on the front and back with a name strip. I don't think it's that necessary to identify individual clinical levels on the uniform.
Appreciate the outline SpecialK! We are definitely digging into what other countries are doing. I learned quickly upon entering this industry that, at least in the US, that 'if you know 1 EMS agency, you know 1 EMS agency.' Point being that there is so much diversity is agency structures in the US that our goal is not to standardize but drive uniformity across certain aspects while enabling configurabililty to the specific agency's needs across others. Please keep sending over any info that you think we should know about!