Ems faq

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Gee, that's nice. Since we like to keep playing these games, in 6-7 years when I'm done with school and residency, I'll be treating patients based on my own judgment, not following some cook book protocols requiring no thought past, "Hmm, which protocol do I follow here." (Hey, this is fun, can we keep this BS up?).

Only 6-7 years? I am envious. Remember us little guys. :)

(This is the humor section after all)

Reply to your last reply,

I agree fully, I was just trying to point out how and when the law applies. Judicious use of warning devices only when needed is definately appropriate.

I also fully support stopping at all traffic lights and stop signs when driving emergently, but I know that is not yet a majority practice.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well... I'm fast forwarding a month to be done with first year...

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Well... I'm fast forwarding a month to be done with first year...

But I will still finish school before you and I am looking at 9 years of residency and fellowship if all goes perfectly according to plan in that time.

I am still envious of 6

tazman7

Forum Crew Member
Gee, that's nice. Since we like to keep playing these games, in 6-7 years when I'm done with school and residency, I'll be treating patients based on my own judgment, not following some cook book protocols requiring no thought past, "Hmm, which protocol do I follow here." (Hey, this is fun, can we keep this BS up?).

That's nice... I live in a city of 162,000 in a county of almost 10 million (our cities are rather small in terms of land area. The city I grew up in was 60,000 in 9 sq. miles). You know what? Even in the middle of the night there is not that much traffic. It comes down to driving ability, specifically the ability to not drive like an a-hole.

You never speed (in your private car or the ambulance when not driving with lights and sirens) then?

Oh, I'm still waiting on your definition of "driving hot" that doesn't include lights and sirens. Thanks for playing though.
Wow, your cool. I like how you "make-fun" of EMS but yet you must be an avid emtlife poster since you have 4000 something posts...you must kind of like this field.

Driving hot means having the lights and sirens on... not driving like a dueshebag like you may assume.

And your "internet education" doesnt impress me just so you know.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Wow, your cool. I like how you "make-fun" of EMS but yet you must be an avid emtlife poster since you have 4000 something posts...you must kind of like this field.
You do realize that physicians are involved in EMS, right? You do realize that some areas of the US even have physicians responding to calls?

Driving hot means having the lights and sirens on... not driving like a dueshebag like you may assume.

Ok, so, again, where did I ever talk about driving with lights and sirens with the radio on? Oh, that's right I didn't. You sit here and blather on about how dangerous 'driving hot with the radio on is and how dangerous I must be' when that has absolutely nothing to do with what I was saying. I'll make it crystal clear. If your drivers can't drive normally with the radio on or a passenger in the front seat, then they suck at driving. Period. End of story.

And your "internet education" doesnt impress me just so you know.
...and what would that be? Do you think that I'm lying about my credentials? Would you like me to post pictures of my BS, MS, and my student ID card? Seriously, I've got a digital camera, when I get home from school I could easily take a picture and post it.

tazman7

Forum Crew Member
You do realize that physicians are involved in EMS, right? You do realize that some areas of the US even have physicians responding to calls?

No I never knew that...I am new to EMS:rolleyes:

JPINFV

Gadfly
You know... I just realized I've been had...

Tazman7:
trlht.jpg

tazman7

Forum Crew Member
You know... I just realized I've been had...

Tazman7:
trlht.jpg

Wow, you are extremely cool. Your a "medical student" that has a maturity level of a two year old....:wacko:

And to think you are working in the back of an ambulance sickens me.

Idiot.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Wow, you are extremely cool. Your a "medical student" that has a maturity level of a two year old....:wacko:

Idiot.

For a medic you're kind of a hostile little gnome.

tazman7

Forum Crew Member
For a medic you're kind of a hostile little gnome.

Im not the one posting pictures of the guy am I?

Sorry I dont live my life on this website like the both of you. I simply come on here to learn and read...

JPINFV

Gadfly

Idiot.
dosequisman.jpg

Dos Toll'is.

Stay troll'in my friend...

Sasha

Forum Chief
Im not the one posting pictures of the guy am I?

Sorry I dont live my life on this website like the both of you. I simply come on here to learn and read...

No, you're the one who was called out. Instead of debating like a non-hostile little gnome you decided to fly to personal insults, pull the "I'm a medic" card, and then degraded into personal insults.

How many calls a day do you run as a landscaper, as your profile states that's your occupation?

tazman7

Forum Crew Member
I dont run any calls as a landscaper. I run all my calls when im on my 24 hour shift as a fulltime paramedic, and then I run more calls when I am doing my part-time shifts at the fire department.

Sorry I dont update my profile on this site with my day to day status.

Like I said before, until I work with a decent basic I wont think to highly of them. Thats not saying every one of them is bad. Just the ones that I have worked with in my experience.

The only thing I was saying in this thread was about the comment jpinfv made reguarding letting people ride in front while on calls and listening to music. Not quite sure how it is in his neck of the woods but that doesnt fly when im in the back. Thats why i said thats why im a medic and not a basic. So I can make critical decisions and be the "boss." If basics are considered "bosses" then why does the medic run the call/scene if its anything worst than a runny nose??? i have yet to be on a scene where a basic was running it instead of a medic and I am going on my sixth year of doing this..

JPINFV

Gadfly
So we agree then the people at your agency, as a whole, suck at driving. I'd hate to be with a partner who was so bad at driving that they couldn't stand anyone listening to the radio at any time (after all, if it's "ZOMG WE'RE GOING TO CRASH BECAUSE YOU'RE LISTENING TO THE RADIO"). Additionally, the radio has to be off at all times with absolutely zero talking at any time while the ambulance is moving, both on a call and off of a call. Now, go ahead and tell me that you don't talk to your partner and the radio is off when, say, returning to the station or going to go get a bite to eat or refuel the ambulance.

tazman7

Forum Crew Member
So we agree then the people at your agency, as a whole, suck at driving. I'd hate to be with a partner who was so bad at driving that they couldn't stand anyone listening to the radio at any time (after all, if it's "ZOMG WE'RE GOING TO CRASH BECAUSE YOU'RE LISTENING TO THE RADIO"). Additionally, the radio has to be off at all times with absolutely zero talking at any time while the ambulance is moving, both on a call and off of a call. Now, go ahead and tell me that you don't talk to your partner and the radio is off when, say, returning to the station or going to go get a bite to eat or refuel the ambulance.
Id like for you to show me where i ever made it sound like the rig cant have music playing or anybody talking at any time?

I said that when there is a patient in the back I RARELY let family or friends ride in front, and the music is not on. Other then that I dont care if my partner rides with her head hanging out of the damn window.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Not trying to start anything

But if I could just respectfully point out.

Like I said before, until I work with a decent basic I wont think to highly of them. Thats not saying every one of them is bad. Just the ones that I have worked with in my experience.

Because the roles and responsibilities of different providers vary by location, and the value an agency places on providers directly affects the type of providers it attracts, it is possible you will never work with "a good basic"
because a good one wouldn't accept a position in such a demeaning environment.

The only thing I was saying in this thread was about the comment jpinfv made reguarding letting people ride in front while on calls and listening to music.

All previous comments on this aside, I think your view on this is rather limited. I tried to point out earlier that having riders in the cab or box should not affect care or safety. It is also in the best interest of the patient, and a compasionate service to the family in the spirit of a competent and respected healthcare provider.

Not quite sure how it is in his neck of the woods but that doesnt fly when im in the back.

I think I would be remiss for not asking if your ego is not interfering with providing compassionate care. EMS and medicine is practiced many ways in many areas. You do not have insight to some absolute truth to make such profound statements on right and wrong.

Thats why i said thats why im a medic and not a basic. So I can make critical decisions and be the "boss.".

Seems like a fair statement, but could I point out that the word "boss" is from Dutch origin and refered to a skilled "master" of a specific trade or profession? It is not a synonym for tyrant. a master in the medical or healthcare profession is expected to enable, support and guide junior collegues for their professional betterment, as that ultimately leads to better care for the patient. Many in healthcare consider their position a privilidged position in the service of the patient, not a position of lordly right over them. When wielding your authority, keep in mind: a patient will not remember or even recognize competent care. They will remember and judge how you treat them and their loved ones. patients, just like you or I would never sue their friend, but would gladly sue their enemy.

If basics are considered "bosses" then why does the medic run the call/scene if its anything worst than a runny nose???

I think you may be misinterpreting the difference between boss and highest educated medical provider. Unless you possess the authority to hire or fire your partners, you are not "the boss." You are the senior medical provider. There are many examples of fire departments where the officers are not paramedics and are in charge over them as officers. The role of the senior medical person is to make the best decisions for the patient. If you have been in EMS for 6 years, I have taught it longer than you have been involved, the difference in a paramedics education and that of an EMT when it comes to EMS operations is negligible in the US. The difference is in medical education.

i have yet to be on a scene where a basic was running it instead of a medic and I am going on my sixth year of doing this..???

I believe you. But it seems you have not had 6 years worth of experience, but the same experience for six years. It seems like you can only speak to your limited location. I also don't think you have enough variety of experience or depth of medical education to decide who is a competent care provider or not based on your statements here.

I hope you now see the forest from the trees or I have wasted my efforts.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Id like for you to show me where i ever made it sound like the rig cant have music playing or anybody talking at any time?
It's hypocritical to say that it's super dangerous for those actions to occur while driving with a patient on board, but perfectly safe when a patient isn't on board. Either it's dangerous, or it isn't. The fact that someone is in the back doesn't change that.