EMS Diagnostic Equipment

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
Hey all!
I'm new to this forum, and I'd like to have some advice on some equipment.

I'm an MFR-Basic in Canada and I'm fed up with my service's crappy stethoscopes and BP cuffs. I'd like to purchase some on my own. I'm at a loss of where I should turn. I've heard mixed things about the Heine brand of BP cuff and stethoscope - which is what I'd like to purchase. I've heard rave reviews of the Litmann's Quality stethoscope and I've also heard good things about Welch-Allyn and Baumanometer BP cuffs. I'd like to hear some reviews - or if you have any other good brands to suggest them here.

Thanks!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Some people here swear by the Littmans, as do a lot of people at my agency.

My suggestion is find what you like and can afford, and go with it. I personally use a Labtron Dual Tube and like it better than the Littmans we have because the earpieces are more comfortable.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
:) :) :) Welcome!!! :) :) :)

I really like mine and it's a $30 special from our local med supply store. And it's pretty. I have no idea what brand it is though.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Wingnut said:
And it's pretty.

Ok goofball. Whats it got? Hearts and flowers on it??

I have the cheapest Littmann. Not sure how much is cost, someone gave it to me when they upgraded theirs. I like it okay. My partner uses the Littmann Cardiology. I am surfing Ebay for mine now.

As for a BP cuff....aren't they all the same???

OP
OP
K

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
I think the scopes in our two countries are very different - "First Responders" (in Canada this goes from MFR-B to MFR 1 & 2 to Emgergency Medical Responder) do BTLS assesment and intermediate airway management (OPA's, B-V-M's, & supervised NPA's.

OP
OP
K

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
I don't know how it is anywhere else - but it's commonplace for EMS personnel to own their own BP cuff. I don't know alot about purchasing them and what to look for, but I know it's got alot to do with the material, the bladder material and the gauge reliability. A few people in my service have bought some "no-name" cuffs and they pop @ 220... They went to a german cuff and had no problems... What do your services use?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Kendall said:
I don't know how it is anywhere else - but it's commonplace for EMS personnel to own their own BP cuff. I don't know alot about purchasing them and what to look for, but I know it's got alot to do with the material, the bladder material and the gauge reliability. A few people in my service have bought some "no-name" cuffs and they pop @ 220... They went to a german cuff and had no problems... What do your services use?
I've never seen someone with their own cuff. I've used cheap $10 cuffs on people, I'll wait a bit, and then try the service's $100+ one. I get almost the same reading.

Our 20 or so rigs all use the ADC System 5 They really hold up well to the abuse of EMS, and I can only remember one time where the needle was sticking and needed calibration. It includes five cuffs, and while 90% of the patients get the adult cuff, I've used almost all of the cuffs. It even has one for the thigh.

ADC is a leader in the field of diagnostic equipment. I'd shop around, as I've found some places that offer large dis:censored::censored::censored::censored:s.

I hope that helps!

If I were purchasing a cuff to last a year, I'd purchase a $10 basic cuff. If I were purchasing a cuff to last the long haul, I'd go for a better system. I'm not sure I'd spend $140 for the ADC System 5 though.

disassociative

Forum Captain
Yeah; when I was a responder; we had the same priveleges; now FR-III in TN has Combitube privs. My point abt the Littman is; why spend the extra money,
when you don't have too. As a First Responder I had my own personal kit; EMS would refill our kits when we ran out. Every responder had a personal one in their vehicle which included: OPA's, NPA's, C-Spine Collars, 4x4 & all the other dressings and gauze, bandages, some even carried their own 02.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
it depends on your particulars and what works for you. my mother(r.n.) uses the cheapest steth you can buy and it works for her. she also says she cant hear a damn thing through my litt master cardiology. i'm just the opposite

a top end general exam scope is the littmann classic ii. bout a hundred bucks give or take. good acoutics. durable. a nice piece of equip

bp cufs: buy the cheap one. when it wears out, buy another cheap one. one of the only times this rational holds up

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
EMTPrincess said:
Ok goofball. Whats it got? Hearts and flowers on it??

quote]

No but it's a really pretty color teal so :p

And actually mine stays at home, I've seen a few medics who use thier own steth but most use the one on the rig, and actually most of the steths I've seen on the rigs are Litmann's.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Around here, most "real" providers (the ones who know what they are doing and don't have wet ink on their cert card) use thier own scopes... the exception being that some services, espicially the smaller vollie services, equip their rigs with GOOD Littmann scopes.

I've had partners / co-workers, and students who carry their BP Cuff / Stethascope set they got in EMT Class when they are on the rig. We make fun of them, sometimes.. espicially when the scope they are using is lower-quality then the one that is on the rig.

I'm a fan of Littmann and DRG - they both make good stethascopes.

I own several BP cuffs.... I have the low or mid grade ones ($10-$20 bucks) in Adult, Large Adult, and Child in my big "oh crap" bag in my car... I've also invested in the little "gauge boots" that protect the gauges.

I've heard good things about the high-end german ones... but do you really need them? I've never had a problem with the el-cheapo ones our service has.

Anomalous

Forum Lieutenant
In our MCI gear we have 25 disposable stethoscopes (price about $3.50 each). I tried a BP and lung sounds and they worked well. Next I tried a stethoscope from a Playschool Junior Nurses Kit. It has a sponge for a diaphragm. It also worked (though not as well) for a BP and lung sounds...

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I have some steth I bought at Fry's for $9. Some brand called LifeSource. It works ok. Otherwise I have some fairly inexpensive Littmann. I think it was $35 after a coupon. I like it quite a bit better. Works better for me with patients that have faint brachial pulses. For example, my girlfriend. She's a PITA to get a BP from, and that's not because she swings at me every time I come after her with the cuff... (an ADC cuff, works fine!)

Our service uses the ADC cuffs, and usually the ADC steths.

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
im for Welch Allan Professional stet, and also their BP cuffs. VERY nice.