EMS + Anti-Anxiety Drugs

Robert Michael Olson

Forum Probie
Is it safe? Does anyone know anybody who has ever worked as a paramedic/EMT and been on Anti-Anxiety drugs?

BlueJayMedic

Interrupting natural selection since 2010
I am sure plenty of people are on that medication and working in EMS as they do in other jobs in various fields. I can't imagine it is a safety issue provided it doesn't make you drowsy while on shift.

Trauma Queen

Forum Crew Member
Many many people in EMS struggle with mental illness. As for medication on shift, I'm sure it depends on the type of medication.

For example, I'm pretty open about it, I have anxiety, and it can get pretty severe. I take a daily medication for it, which doesn't impair me at all, so it's safe to take when I need to work. It keeps me level. But I also have an emergency med I take in the event I have a full blown panic attack, which is something I would take outside of work, since it impairs my ability to function in ways of driving, and clouds me up. And, if I ever need to take it, and it shows up on a drug test, I have a prescription to back it up.

As long as you have a prescription and it doesn't interfere with your ability to do your job, it shouldn't be an issue.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Is it safe? Does anyone know anybody who has ever worked as a paramedic/EMT and been on Anti-Anxiety drugs?
I've worked with many EMTs and medics who are on or have taken SSRIs, yes, but none on regular benzodiazepines. I would imagine it wouldn't be a problem. I know that I trend toward the anxious side of things, but work doesn't stress me out...so I guess I'm lucky.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
I've been prescribed on a benzo and a TCA for 17 years. Been in EMS/medicine for 12 of those. Never had a problem, but I also had gotten pretty well adjusted to side effects before getting into EMS. I also know of many folks in healthcare who are on all sorts of anti-anxiety, anti-depressants, and/or anti-psychotics. People in healthcare rarely talk about their battles with psychiatric illness, but they get it just the same as anyone else (and as far as I know, rates are higher among those working in healthcare than the general public).

And if you care to know, I'm on clonazepam and clomipramine.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
The shrink (though an actual psychiatrist and not just a "counselor") that I see is 135$ for 45 minutes, but I only see him twice a year for my scripts. I used to pay for my meds out-of-pocket. One was like 5$, while the other was 30ish for a 30 days worth. Prices for meds can be found online pretty easily. The app Epocrates has prescription drug prices. My wife pays 80$ for an hour for a counselor who has a MSW.

RebelAngel

White Cloud
Without insurance,

can anyone offer a good guess as to how much counseling, and prescriptions add up to?
I have had an issue with anxiety on and off, unrelated to EMS. A few months ago I went to my PCP about it and now I have a prescription for 0.5 Ativan that I take only when I feel my anxiety creeping up and significantly impacting my daily life. I paid like $14 out of pocket and have had the same bottle since then. Had I have gotten the prescription filled at the closest and first pharmacy it would have been more than twice that, so I highly recommend calling around.

Ironically, I have more of an issue with tests/testing than actually running on the ambulance and squad calls.

If you belong to a church your Pastor may be a good place to start with counseling.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I am perscribed Xanax but not for typical "anxiety". I have problems falling asleep and staying asleep. I have tried ambien, lunesta, and pretty much all the other big brand sleep aids, but they caused me to sleep walk and I either wouldn't wake up to an alarm, or I would be overly groggy for the first half of the day. I also tried other natural remedies such as melatonin but that gave me hellacious nightmares. So I am perscribed Xanax (low dose) as basically a fast acting sedative to help me go to sleep, and if I wake up i just take another one. It's low dose and wears off quickly so I'm not groggy in the morning. Although I don't take it for anxiety, it's typically used as a "anxiety medication" (benzo). But I have never had an employer express concern over me being on it.