EMS, a romantic notion.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
People in EMS get pissed when they are refered to as an ambulance driver. But that is what you are paid to do!

Do nurses or doctors get paid for milage on every patient they see? Do their treatments always end in "transport to the hospital"?

This should be copy and pasted as a reply every time someone starts getting pissy about it.

For some people in EMS the feeling of power or prestige is addicting. How many people, especially new or young, "love" cardiac arrests? They love the idea of saving a life. Ask a cardiac arrest survivor about their experience and many will say "The EMTs saved my life , they are heroes". It creates this idea that the job is superior or prestigious. Or they love to wear their uniform in public just because of the attention.

Also I feel that some (most) EMS providers lack even a common understanding of medicine or how healthcare works. The constant comments such as "We are independent providers, we dont have a doctor telling us what to do, we make our own decisions", etc just show little they understand. Their thought process ends at the ER doors, they do not understand what will happen to the patient or what their interventions may have caused or complicated once they get to a unit.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
What about a community Paramedic, or a fly car paramedic which is authorized to treat and release, how about an FP-C or CCEMT-P working in an advanced system, what about a paramedic working occupational health or remote medical? I have worked most of the above mentioned positions (excluding critical care) and I would say I have to disagree with your statement because I was never a transporting unit unless I was riding along.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
When's the last time any of you saw a physician wearing a shirt that read

"Medicine, more than a job, a calling!"

Or

"Doctors, fending off the Reaper"

Nonsense like that is the attitude of EMS. And until these delusional Ricky rescue :censored::censored::censored::censored:tards get out of the way (90% of EMS) then we simply cannot advance.

I really don't see any more too it than the simple fact that EMS is a hobby. Paramedic is a START but being an EMT is a damn hobby it is not a career.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Or better yet "Doctors...Doing the same :censored::censored::censored::censored: as medics just not at 60mph"

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
When's the last time any of you saw a physician wearing a shirt that read

"Medicine, more than a job, a calling!"

Or

"Doctors, fending off the Reaper"

Nonsense like that is the attitude of EMS. And until these delusional Ricky rescue :censored::censored::censored::censored:tards get out of the way (90% of EMS) then we simply cannot advance.

I really don't see any more too it than the simple fact that EMS is a hobby. Paramedic is a START but being an EMT is a damn hobby it is not a career.

Sadly, I think that many of my agency's problems are rooted firmly in this attitude. I think this is actually the same problem that we'd see across the nation.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I have never heard anyone say "I don't have a degree yet, so this would be a good vocational job until I qualify for something better."

I have said that, and will continue to do so.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief

People do that all the time?

Essentially anyone working as an EMT while in school is doing that whether they blatantly say it or not...

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
People do that all the time?

Essentially anyone working as an EMT while in school is doing that whether they blatantly say it or not...

Yea I didn't think I was the only one. Granted I don't work with many people that are getting their bachelors at the same time, but hey it is a good job for a student. If you have nothing but an HS diploma it offers better working conditions than the alternatives and gives you healthcare experience if you want to go that route.

People whine about the pay, but I made less money delivering snow blowers than I do on the ambulance and I work a lot less so I am not complaining.

JDub

Forum Lieutenant

Same here. My plan is to get my paramedic certification which will allow me to have a job I enjoy while I pursue my bachelor's degree and attempt to get into medical school.

I like EMS, but I don't see myself liking it if I was forced to do it for 40+ hours a week for the next 20+ years.

waaaemt

Forum Lieutenant
At Veneficus, about the anthropology, basically you're saying that most people who do EMS in the US are meat heads who do it for the glory and stuff like that? (not being confrontational just confirming)

I think I would agree. How would you describe the culture/personality of the majority of EMS providers in other places like the EU?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
At Veneficus, about the anthropology, basically you're saying that most people who do EMS in the US are meat heads who do it for the glory and stuff like that? (not being confrontational just confirming)

I think I would agree. How would you describe the culture/personality of the majority of EMS providers in other places like the EU?

When your minimum standard requires a collegiate level degree, you tend to weed out a vast majority of undesirables.

waaaemt

Forum Lieutenant
When your minimum standard requires a collegiate level degree, you tend to weed out a vast majority of undesirables.

Oh yeah, true that. I found an interesting summary of Euro EMS here:
http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/114406/E92038.pdf

So it looks like their lowest level is paramedic with 5 years of school. If anyone wants to get hurt, the EU looks like the place to do it!

I think a problem is how hard the US system makes this kind of thing to be done. For instance, Seattle's Medic One program requires you be a FF/EMT for i think 4 years before you can even be nominated to take the course.

But as for the US EMS, so far it has done what it has to do for the most part. I think a lot of the people who do it to look good in a uniform and be called a hero are the ones who get burnt out in a few years cause they don't get the respect they except and get sick of it. Am i right or wrong?

But then what do you guys think the culture/attitude should be? Anything other than the hero wannabes or something specific?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
My swing was a miss.

I posted:

"EMS" (whatever that is) "has to crash soon". Malarkey

Sounded a little like "they can't fall", but what I was trying to say was it can and will have the potential for falling all the way to rock bottom unless the culture changes and medical professionals working for medical professionals take charge of raising standards and enforcing them.

mycrofft

About meatheads;

Many new trainees are YOUNG. Today's media culture rewards and models behaviors not designed to be mature and dependable, but hip, sexy, and insouciant. Thug chic. Abercrombie and Fitch cool. So, maybe we DO need a medical boot camp, six weeks of deprogramming and reporgramming?

Many "meatheads" are salvageable.
6a00d834515db069e20133f353cad6970b-800wi

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
About meatheads;

Many new trainees are YOUNG. Today's media culture rewards and models behaviors not designed to be mature and dependable, but hip, sexy, and insouciant. Thug chic. Abercrombie and Fitch cool. So, maybe we DO need a medical boot camp, six weeks of deprogramming and reporgramming?

This is interesting. Where I trained and now in the place I work I am much younger than most of the people I work with (I'm 23.) Everyone kind of assumes I'm too young to be a medic.

mycrofft

This is interesting. Where I trained and now in the place I work I am much younger than most of the people I work with (I'm 23.) Everyone kind of assumes I'm too young to be a medic.

Well, are you hip, sexy, and insouciant? ;)

600full-ferris-bueller's-day-off-screenshot.jpg

mycrofft

Well, are you hip, sexy, and insouciant? ;)

600full-ferris-bueller's-day-off-screenshot.jpg

PS: I place the fall of western euopean cultural world dominance firmly at the feet of Ferris Bueller.

Forum Crew Member
Having only read the first 3 pages of this thread (forgive me its very late and my ADD is kicking in) I've got a clarifying question: what would it actually take to consider EMS a profession? Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I get paid a comfortable liveable wage that supports me and my family, I have a retirement package, insurance benefits for my family and I (including our little one until he is 26 thank you Obama!), and an awesome management team who treats everyone fairly and is extremely understanding. Combine that with a 2 day on 5 day off schedule and getting to do my part for the community, seems like a pretty good "profession" to me...maybe I'm not looking at the right aspects to understand everyone's point. Granted I also work seasonally for a FD which has better benefits that I use instead, but that's besides the point. I could easily live off the EMS wages alone but I just plain enjoy both jobs too much to let either one go. Anyway, trying to stop rambling here, I guess my point is this: a vehicle mechanic is considered a profession, waste management is a profession, a tow truck driver is a profession, why not ambulance driving (I know I know "were not ambulance drivers were life savers" blah blah blah)? All jobs albeit are blue collar, but still considered professions. What's the difference?

mycrofft

Having only read the first 3 pages of this thread (forgive me its very late and my ADD is kicking in) I've got a clarifying question: what would it actually take to consider EMS a profession? Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I get paid a comfortable liveable wage that supports me and my family, I have a retirement package, insurance benefits for my family and I (including our little one until he is 26 thank you Obama!), and an awesome management team who treats everyone fairly and is extremely understanding. Combine that with a 2 day on 5 day off schedule and getting to do my part for the community, seems like a pretty good "profession" to me...maybe I'm not looking at the right aspects to understand everyone's point. Granted I also work seasonally for a FD which has better benefits that I use instead, but that's besides the point. I could easily live off the EMS wages alone but I just plain enjoy both jobs too much to let either one go. Anyway, trying to stop rambling here, I guess my point is this: a vehicle mechanic is considered a profession, waste management is a profession, a tow truck driver is a profession, why not ambulance driving (I know I know "were not ambulance drivers were life savers" blah blah blah)? All jobs albeit are blue collar, but still considered professions. What's the difference?

This is one of EMTLIFE's deepest darkest Black Holes from which few threads ever emerge.

Me, I think there are many professional EMTs and Paramedics and etc etc, but look up the formal definitions of "profession" then see how many protocols are written by EMTs, and how many medical controlers are EMTs, and THEN decide if prehospital EMS is a "Profession" or a gig.