EMR

John Trammell Jr

Forum Probie
So im thinking about taking an EMR class this month but i need to know if i will be getting paid, how many hours EMRs typically work and if i will be on an ambulance. I really wanna be on an ambulance

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Take an EMT class and get a job on an ambulance. Then you’ll get paid. And your boss can tell you how many hours you’ll be working. See? It’s easy.

EMR is usually a first responder course and most ambulance services don’t hire EMRs.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
John, your profile says you're 17..... I don't think anyone will hire you until you turn 18.

Almost no one will pay you to be an EMR (there are a few exceptions, but they definitely won't hire you at 17, and if you do get hired, you will make minimum wage)

Assuming you become a certified EMR, you will still need to complete the entire EMT class to earn your EMT certification.

OP
OP
J

John Trammell Jr

Forum Probie
I will
John, your profile says you're 17..... I don't think anyone will hire you until you turn 18.

Almost no one will pay you to be an EMR (there are a few exceptions, but they definitely won't hire you at 17, and if you do get hired, you will make minimum wage)

Assuming you become a certified EMR, you will still need to complete the entire EMT class to earn your EMT certification.
be 18 before completing the class.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
A huge majority of areas do not use EMRs. So you will not get paid and will not be able to work on an ambulance as an EMR.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
You're killing me smalls. You came here asking if you're employable as an EMR. We tell you that, for the most part, no, you wont be. You respond with "well in my county", which means you already know of at least one agency(and really, how far are you traveling for EMR money?) that is evidently in need of EMR's. My head hurts.

EMR is a entry level(in most places sub entry level, since you cant actually be employed solely as an EMR) cert, typically used as an add on for another job(police, fire, etc). If you can get a job as an EMR, and it actually pays a wage, it will be crap. Even if the hours are plentiful, it takes crap x 100hrs/wk to bring home anything resembling a paycheck, so its not really a job you support yourself with.

Its also a colossal waste of time for someone who wants to work(and be payed) in EMS. You will be far, far, far better off just going to EMT school.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I was told that my countys ems dept hires EMRs bbc they are in need of people. But the EMRs usually drive the ambulance
so complete your EMR class and get hired by your county EMS agency. They will tell you how many hours you will work, and you will be on the ambulance.

Sound like a plan?