Employment in San Diego - NEW EMT-B

Wiggle

Forum Crew Member
Hi all,

I will be done with my EMT-B course in 4 days. On that 4th day I will be taking the skills assessment for San Diego County.

Within a week after completing that, I should be taking the NREMT.

I'm also going to be getting a physical, so that I can take the ambulance test.

Hopefully this will all go smooth!

I'm planning to go to just about every hospital in San Diego to apply as an ER Tech. I'm also planing to apply at AMR and Rural/Metro. Could you guys please give hints as to where-else I can apply? Please keep in mind that I have no experience.

Regards,
Wiggles

Joe

Forum Captain
amr without exp is going to be tough.. not undooable but make sure you know your garbage. honestly its been said a thousand times.. apply everywhere. volunteer anywhere you can. remember your first job wont be your last. unless you piss excellence its going to be hard to get a 911 job right out of the gate.

OP
OP
W

Wiggle

Forum Crew Member
amr without exp is going to be tough.. not undooable but make sure you know your garbage. honestly its been said a thousand times.. apply everywhere. volunteer anywhere you can. remember your first job wont be your last. unless you piss excellence its going to be hard to get a 911 job right out of the gate.

Hi mate - thanks.

I wanted to clarify, I'm hoping to get some pointers/tips because I'd rather focus my application efforts rather than apply to many places that aren't hiring. The application process does consume time :blush: If anyone has tips, I'll investigate particular places/companies/etc and see if they will grant an interview!

Thanks!

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Seriously, apply everywhere. If a company isn't hiring today, they might be tomorrow. The turnover rate is just that high here.

Joe

Forum Captain
you are new to the game in so cal? i applied for almost a year and a half before i got a job. i applied everywhere within 100 miles. you have to focus your energy like every job is hiring even if there not. like adam said, the turnover rate is pretty high. do your homework and make sure the company is legit and get a foot in the door so you can move on to something better. apply in person no matter what. dont just send an app off via email. meet faces and shake hands. WEAR A SUIT. know your skills.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Try for pacific. Fairly decent company if you can fly under the radar.

USMCemt

Forum Probie
Pacific

Are you referring to the Pacific Ambulance, which was purchased by Rural Metro? I was looking at their website, and I plan on applying with them but I need to get the SD County EMS ID Card. Why would you need to fly below the radar? I am not in the SD County, but I do have all the other qualifications so I applied with AMR. The recruiter at AMR advised me to get the EMS ID Card and then go in and take a written test. I read by an earlier poster to wear a suit for facials. Would everyone suggest to wear a suit to take the written test?

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Are you referring to the Pacific Ambulance, which was purchased by Rural Metro? I was looking at their website, and I plan on applying with them but I need to get the SD County EMS ID Card. Why would you need to fly below the radar? I am not in the SD County, but I do have all the other qualifications so I applied with AMR. The recruiter at AMR advised me to get the EMS ID Card and then go in and take a written test. I read by an earlier poster to wear a suit for facials. Would everyone suggest to wear a suit to take the written test?

The county card is required to work anywhere in the county.
Wear a suit all the time. Any advantage you can give yourself should be taken
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

kravturtle

Forum Crew Member
Um, I just applied to Pacific yesterday. Why would flying under the radar be a good skill? If I'm walking into something, please, for all that is holy, let me know.

But one thing I do know is R/M is having some HR turnover right now, so it may be a while until they're hiring again. I'm not saying don't apply, but be aware that it may be a while until you hear something.

OP
OP
W

Wiggle

Forum Crew Member
Hi all and thanks for the replies.

Any other tips of companies that are hiring and/or have good reputations (aside from AMR and R/M)?

OP
OP
W

Wiggle

Forum Crew Member
you are new to the game in so cal? i applied for almost a year and a half before i got a job. i applied everywhere within 100 miles. you have to focus your energy like every job is hiring even if there not. like adam said, the turnover rate is pretty high. do your homework and make sure the company is legit and get a foot in the door so you can move on to something better. apply in person no matter what. dont just send an app off via email. meet faces and shake hands. WEAR A SUIT. know your skills.

I'm very new to the EMS system, whether it's so-cal or elsewhere. However, I have a lot of other responsibilities and I'm not able to be as flexible as you are. There's no way I would be able to secure a job 100 miles away.

Joe

Forum Captain
I'm very new to the EMS system, whether it's so-cal or elsewhere. However, I have a lot of other responsibilities and I'm not able to be as flexible as you are. There's no way I would be able to secure a job 100 miles away.

I can understand. Believe me I didn't want to. Luckily I work about 40 miles from home right now.

ShotMedic

Forum Crew Member
EMS Jobs in San Diego

Like everyone else says, Apply everywhere. Each company has it's pro's and cons. Just like every employee has their pro's and cons. If you get a San Diego County Protocol book it has a list of all the BLS providers in san diego on one of the back pages. So while your studying up you can also be researching those companies to see if their hiring. If your willing to travel north to orange county there is several large companies up there as well ie. Doctors, Medics, Care(not the same company as san diego), lynch are just a few of the main players.

Keep your head up and be persistant the jobs will finally open up but you have to make sure your fresh on the company's mind. So once you apply don't forget to check on your application status once a month to make sure it hasn't expired and what not.

Research CEU classes, most of the hospitals offer free classes, and its a good time to rub elbows with people who already have jobs and people who have "pull".

Hopefully this helps ya.