Employer paid recert

Bloom-IUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
two questions:

Is an employer required to pay for a re-certification class that is required for your job? (PALS, PHTLS, etc. not including EMT or Paramedic recert)

Is an employer required to pay you your regular hourly pay while you take a re-cert class mentioned in the above question?

Basically, my employer offers and pays for classes it requires to be employed there IF I attend the ones offered by my employer. I wanted to take a class at another location but I was refused reimbursment and my regular hourly pay.
Thanks in advance!!!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If they offer the class at their education center why would they shell out money for you to go to a different center AND pay you to go there?

They don't HAVE to do anything, in this economy if you don't like it there are 100 other people in line to take your job, your expendable to say the least. Not trying to sound mean, its the truth though.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
two questions:

Is an employer required to pay for a re-certification class that is required for your job? (PALS, PHTLS, etc. not including EMT or Paramedic recert)
no
Is an employer required to pay you your regular hourly pay while you take a re-cert class mentioned in the above question?
no
Basically, my employer offers and pays for classes it requires to be employed there IF I attend the ones offered by my employer. I wanted to take a class at another location but I was refused reimbursment and my regular hourly pay.
Thanks in advance!!!
consider yourself lucky if you do get paid your hourly rate for CEU courses. some don't even reimburse you for course required for your job.

but they can require you to maintain your certification as a condition of your employment.

hope that answers your questions.

OP
OP
Bloom-IUEMT

Bloom-IUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
DrParasite--thanks for the reply. I've heard it is a requirement that your employer at least pay you for hours worked if you are attending mandatory training regardless if it is at their facility. I cannot find any info as of yet on the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
They may be required to pay you if they say you have to be at x location at y time. But they are offering you a class and offering to pay you. They havent said you have to take there class they are just bieng nice and helping even tho they dont have to.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
As far as I know, any training that is required for the agency (blood-borne pathogens, right to know, your FTO time, etc) they need to pay you for.

however, certifications, especially ones that are not agency specific, that were required before you got hired and will be usable elsewhere, are not ones that the agency will have to pay you for.

but if you want the formal official answer, try contacting someone from this site: http://www.in.gov/dol/

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Free training and getting paid for it, yet still not happy.

Wow! That is all I can say.

In all my years of EMS, at no time was I paid for any training other than training which took place during orientation or on shift training.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Free training and getting paid for it, yet still not happy.

Wow! That is all I can say.

In all my years of EMS, at no time was I paid for any training other than training which took place during orientation or on shift training.

No kidding. We are offered refresher classes but have to attend on our off days. ACLS, PALS etc. are also offered but we have to pay a small amount for those. The only paid training is for protocol update classes that was considered mandatory and uniforms were required.

Sent from my electronic overbearing life controller

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
As an employer I provide my staff with training courses that are required for their recertification every year. ITLS, ACLS, PALS, NRPS, and other CME credits. I do not have to pay for these training courses, but I do. I will not pay to have my staff attend the same training course offered elsewhere.

Simple reason is that it's cheaper for me to bring in an instructor and teach all my staff in one shot than it is for me to send my staff out to various training courses. They have two options. Attend the class I offer and keep their money, or attend classes elsewhere and spend their money.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Talk to your accountant. It's probably all tax deductible. Maybe you can be like GE and not pay any taxes.