Emergency Medical Technician GS-0640-05 Anyone familiar?

EmergencyLife1

Forum Probie
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with USAJOBS? This position is through FEMA and the agency name is: National Park Service. I was wondering if any one has worked for or is currently working for FEMA as an EMT. Would love to hear your experience...Thanks

If I remember correctly it's a park ranger position with EMT quals but I'm not 100% sure on that. When I was looking at federal jobs here that's what I was told.

NPS medics and basics jobs are like a waiting list. They take applications and put you on a list. I don't know anything about the jobs for NPS, but always thought it would be a fun job, but I am no where in shape enough to do it.

Nice thing is if you get hired you can transfer to another government medic position somewhere else.

I work for the government now, and make about $55K for 48hrs on 5 days off.

should start about $32,000 a year, up to about $45K after 15 years.

should start about $32,000 a year, up to about $45K after 15 years.

You should be able to promote from there though. That's a GS5 pay grade right? I can't remember how the numbering system worked. If it is GS5 you need experience to be qualified.

Link?

It is a Park Ranger position with the main focus of being a Park Ranger. Primarily it is a Law Enforcement/Environmental position. EMT duties are secondary desired qualifications.

Also, most of those are seasonal or temporary. You'll see it will say something the the effect of "Full time NTE 1 year" NTE= not to exceed.

The thing with .gov job announcements is to read the announcement very carefully. Twice. From top to bottom. They are generally seeking something very very specific, and they have instructions that are specific as well.

Thanks for responses! I actually completed an application and it's in the reveiw stage. From what i have read you have to have a current EMT cert and/or Medic and have experience in the field. My application was accepted due to me current cert. and education. I just really wanted to hear from someone who is currently or who has worked for the National Park Service as a EMT/Medic. Since it is a goverment job the screening is intense. I will send an update post on outcome. Thanks again! If anyone is interested go to USAJOBS.com for job posting. The actual job im inquiring about is closed but there is an emt/paramedic opportunity available in mutiple locations with the air force which I also applied.

Those multiple positions with the Air Force are just a potential hire list. They have done about two of those lists in the last year or so without really hiring at most of the bases at all. I know some of the bases and they use contract ambulances instead of government employees.

Those multiple positions with the Air Force are just a potential hire list. They have done about two of those lists in the last year or so without really hiring at most of the bases at all. I know some of the bases and they use contract ambulances instead of government employees.

Exactly. A few of the local bases have talked about bringing EMS operations in house, yet all of them also recently awarded bids to private companies for the next two years.

Well I finally got a response from USAJOBS

I submitted my application on 2/5/14 the closed date for applying was 2/10/14 and I got my response today 3/3/14. So it took about a month! This is the response I received via email entitled:Referral Letter Vacancy ID: 1041693
Status Code: Status Message:
NR - Not We have reviewed your application and found you qualified for the position listed above that have this Referred Status code. However, you were not among the most highly qualified candidates. Therefore, your name will not be referred to the employing agency at this time. If we receive a request from the agency for additional candidates, your application will then be reviewed for possible referral.

Rating Code: Rating Message:

EL You are eligible for this specialty and grade.
So in other words I did met the qualifications for the vacancy but I quess there were more qualified applicants. Understandably so, I'm very new to the field. Just got my EMT B cert. (2/14) and I am currently in a Paramedic Program in which I complete (5/15). But I think my BA in Communications worked in my favor. On the upside I already picked up a job @ Transcare. Pretty awesome for someone who just took his state exam (2/20/14). Maybe another year or two more of experience is needed...I'm in no rush, I have much to learn about the field! And as we know the more experience out in the field the better!

Last edited by a moderator:
It can take awhile to get any of the government jobs. Especially if veterans apply to the ones that you are looking at. They will have preference over non-veterans.

Back