EKG vs Phlebotomy tech class

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
So my local community college is going to offer EKG and Phlebotomy tech classes next year. I plan to go to paramedic school in the future, should I take any of these classes now? If so, which one?

Thanks

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
So my local community college is going to offer EKG and Phlebotomy tech classes next year. I plan to go to paramedic school in the future, should I take any of these classes now? If so, which one?

Thanks
Neither of these classes will help you in your Paramedic career. They might give you a small leg up in class. It's probably not worth the time or expense.

If I were to pick one, the EKG tech class will take a burden off of your cardiology module in Paramedic school.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Probably could make more money as a phlebotomist than EKG tech if that's a consideration...

Summit

Critical Crazy
in some states like CO they want EKG and IV as prereqs

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
some phlebotomists can make more than paramedics, depending on where you end up working.

I was thinking about taking a phlebotomy class for a side gig, and the salaries I was finding were more than what an ambulance driver made!

SSMTB

Forum Probie
Take both, neither are long and some community colleges offer these classes. I took both and with the EKG cert I ended up getting a job in a CVICU. I perform patient care duties as well and have ended up learning a considerable amount while working here . Also pays a lot better than when I worked on the ambulance

wtferick

Forum Captain
some phlebotomists can make more than paramedics, depending on where you end up working.

I was thinking about taking a phlebotomy class for a side gig, and the salaries I was finding were more than what an ambulance driver made!
Most jobs make more than a Paramedic 🙃

wtferick

Forum Captain

Thanks
EKG course over Phlebotomy. Just promise us you will learn what a STEMI looks like...

Jambow

Forum Probie
I teach both here in NC. The EKG class would give you more knowledge as far as Paramedic goes. If you have the time and resources both definatly will not hurt. Working as a tech in the ED I made RN pay. Primarily doing EKG's and Phlebotomy.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
A basic EKG class will help take some stress off in medic school but is far from necessary. I suppose phlebotomy could help maybe? Most EMTs in Colorado are already starting IVs anyway, not sure how much crossover there is?