Dumbest thing you have been asked

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I was at a hockey game and a guy wanted me to look at his kid, then asked if I had "some kind of medical training".

I had been cleaning my stethoscope (not much to do), was in uniform, had a trauma kit with me and my provincial EHS (Emergency Health Service) badge attached to my uniform.

It was sooo tempting to say no, I just like to dress up like this and go spectate at hockey games...

The kid could have been from the U.S. and didn't realize the difference between our EMR and Canada's EMR.

It's like when a Canadian comes to the U.S. and asks a BLS provider, "What do you mean you can't do that?" Of course when they understand the differences in training and education they realize they're not in Canada anymore.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I was at a hockey game and a guy wanted me to look at his kid, then asked if I had "some kind of medical training".

I had been cleaning my stethoscope (not much to do), was in uniform, had a trauma kit with me and my provincial EHS (Emergency Health Service) badge attached to my uniform.

It was sooo tempting to say no, I just like to dress up like this and go spectate at hockey games...

But see in Canada you guys are medical professionals. In the USA the EMT basic has no real medical education. So I was laughing that she thought he was a medical Professional. Sorry for the south of the Canadian border humor confusion.

spnx

Forum Crew Member
But see in Canada you guys are medical professionals. In the USA the EMT basic has no real medical education. So I was laughing that she thought he was a medical Professional. Sorry for the south of the Canadian border humor confusion.

Seriously! Ok, I didn't know that. Thanks for clarifying.

KB1MZR

Forum Probie
"Did you actually have to go to class to do this or did they just let you start being an EMT?"

GR1N53N

Forum Probie
Just to clarify, Canada's EMR (according to the new NOCP) is an 80 hour course... or at least, the Red Cross teaches it as an 80 hr course. It's my understanding that NREMT's EMT-B cert is a 120 hr course? I suspect that the interventions taught by each course are pretty similar in scope, so I think it's safe to say that they are roughly equivalent.

Technically, a medical professional is anyone who is paid (ie does it as a profession) to do something in the medical field. So despite a comparative lack of training to, say, an RN, EMT-Bs and EMRs could definitely be considered medical professionals, IMO.

(now, I'm an EMR for a volunteer service, so the 'professional' title doesn't really apply to me)

But anyway, submit more hilarious quotes!! (I would, but I haven't been on call in a long time, and I can't remember any good ones right now). :(

Last edited by a moderator:

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
so the 'professional' title doesn't really apply to me

As Col. Potter on MASH used to say "Bull puckey!"

Professional status has nothing to do with whether you are paid or not. It's a mindset and attitude more than anything else and how you apply that to your work. I know a lot of paid EMS personnel (including quite a few on this site) whom I would not classify as professionals whereas I know a similar number of volunteer EMS personnel I would consider consumate professionals. Nothing irks me more than hearing a volunteer say they are not a professional simply because they do receive a check for their work.

spnx

Forum Crew Member
I have to agree with usafmedic45. I'm a volunteer first responder, and I'm officially part of the EMS and the healthcare system here, which is good enough for me.

The only person who follows the unpaid = amateur (and that's what he calls us) is a (paid) firefighter I know. I think he may have self esteem issues :p

Scout

Para-Noid
The vol people would view professional with a different meaning. It is not their chosen profession and they do not get paid. Some people in their organisation may get paid and they are seen as professional members.

This does not exclude them from acting like a professional or in a professional manner. They just see the word differently. This happens in most organisations where there are vols

VentMedic

Forum Chief
How many volunteers are behind the push to advance EMS to achieve professional recognition in Washington?

How many want higher education standards?

How many will take the time to achieve more education?

Lots of "training" one or two evenings a month isn't exactly the same.

How many want ALS service to be provided to their community?

How many think their BLS is just fine for the people of the community?

How many are afraid of change and that they may no longer get to be an EMT whenever they want?

JB42

Forum Crew Member
How many volunteers are behind the push to advance EMS to achieve professional recognition in Washington?
At least one...

At least one...

At least one...

You are right. We should all push ourselves to do more to advance our education.

It is and I am happy it is. The community deserves to get care at this level when it is required.

For the community, no BLS isn't just fine. For some calls... Yes.

How many are afraid of change and that they may no longer get to be an EMT whenever they want?
Nope, bring on the change.

GR1N53N

Forum Probie

One might be wary of making such gross overgeneralizations, especially someone who has a reputation on these boards for being so meticulously factual.

But this is the wrong place for picking fights, and there's no humour in bashing... so lets bring out more hilarity! (or let this thread go the way of the Dodo, and I'll go back to perusing the archives)

Sail195

Forum Lieutenant
So we bring in a pt 94 y/o complainin of abdominal pain and diarrhea for 4 days b4 she called us.... whole way to the hospital she is asking us to go faster because she has to go again so I am like greatttt gona have a fun decon tonight lol well she makes it to the hospital and no sooner do we slide her to their bed the nurse asks me if i know when the last bowel movmet was and the pt goes right now I couldnt hold it any more im sorry .... she moved her bowels alll over their bed and not my stretcher!

Woot noooo decon for me lol the look on the nurses face was priceless

VentMedic

Forum Chief
One might be wary of making such gross overgeneralizations, especially someone who has a reputation on these boards for being so meticulously factual.

But this is the wrong place for picking fights, and there's no humour in bashing... so lets bring out more hilarity! (or let this thread go the way of the Dodo, and I'll go back to perusing the archives)

I wasn't laughing when I wrote that. I was very serious as education is a very serious issue and will be what advances this profession.

You can start by becoming more informed with this thread.

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=13812

However, since you did not answer any of my questions, I would take it that you just want to start a mess here rather than have a discussion.

Since this is not the appropriate thread, feel free to add comments to the thread linked above.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Read that link you sent me, didn't see anything about volunteers on it. What I did see was a NREMT document that seemed somewhat similar to our NOCP here in Canada (http://www.paramedic.ca/Content.aspx...ontentTypeID=2). I don't see any relationship between increasing education and skillset of EMS providers and volunteerism.

I don't know what your issue is with your local volunteer crews, and I don't particularly care. I'm obviously not going to offer an opinion about something I know nothing about, and in this case, I have no reason to educate myself on the intra-agency drama in the US EMS system. I'm a volunteer EMR (see the NOCP for info) in Ontario, where every ambulance in the 911 system is manned by at least Primary Care Paramedics (again, see the NOCP). Our service does not transport, we simply serve as medical first responders for the special population we cover (replacing FF in that role), since EMS is often slow in reaching our area. Despite our service's limited role in the EMS system, we actively seek to increase our education beyond what is required as an EMR, and courtesy of our excellent (and trusting) medical director, do many things beyond EMR as medically-delegated skills. We are also active in helping other similar services in other regions develop, as we believe that our service can be a valuable resource to the community we serve, as well as the region and the EMS system, since we augment their response, and alleviate some of the stress on the EMS system.

I hope that was a satisfactory response to your accusations towards volunteers. I'm not on this forum (in the humour section, at that) to start a mess. I'm here to laugh. I'm sorry that you have a bad relationship with the volunteer crews in your region (or perhaps your nation, since that seemed to be the target of your wrath), but volunteers do play a beneficial role in some EMS systems, and you - who I've always been impressed with as someone who is carefully factual in their arguments - may want to be a little more careful before insulting them with overgeneralizations.

Since you are from Canada you probably don't understand why education is a very touchy issue. However, since you are from Canada, I thought your educational stanards were higher?

You are an EMR so I see this conversation will go no where because you will argue for the lowest level provider and to remain as a volunteer at that level.

I'm glad the system works for you but that is not to say it is the direction we want EMS to remain as in the U.S.

BTW, we have no volunteers in my area and haven't had for over 20 years.

Please start another thread if you want to continue this discussion.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
someone once asked me a dumb question. A patient injured in an MVC asked me if VentMedic was serious about education. How stupid was that!

GR1N53N

Forum Probie
Sounds like she's been listening to VentMedic

In an attempt to bring this back on topic:

Pt. was pissed at us and the medics who responded to take her to the hospital. Apparently she didn't want to go, though she refused to sign the release form, and eventually went with them:

"You're all just a bunch of trained monkeys!" (+swearing). Thought that was a unique insult.

This was a frequent flier of ours, and the medics had heard about her from other crews. They told us afterwards that they were kind of glad to have witnessed her rant, as they were feeling left out of the discussion regarding this particular patient.

To VentMedic (and I promise the rest of you this is the last I will say on this, I'm sorry you've had to be party to what I had originally sent as a private message, so that you wouldn't have to put up with any more of this):
I'm kind of glad you posted my PM. If you had read it, you may have noticed some evidence that my volunteer service and I value continuing education, and I'm disappointed that you'd automatically assume that because I'm an EMR, I'd argue that that is all that is necessary. First of all, my service augments the normal EMS service (staffed with -at least- PCPs) in my region, not replaces it. EMR is definitely not sufficient for EMS, and I would never suggest that. Secondly, the only reason I'm EMR and a volunteer is because I'm a student - finishing a BSc in biochem - and this is something I do because I enjoy it, and can contribute to my community. I am considering a career in the field of emergency medicine, either as an MD, or paramedic, but am going to pursue a masters in biochem first, as I enjoy my research as well. I think the assumption that all EMRs are satisfied with remaining EMRs, or that they think that their training is sufficient for EMS, is a terribly false one.
I'm no longer sure I understand what your problem is (now I'm thinking that maybe you're just an unpleasant person), but the message I'm trying to get across is that assumptions and overgeneralizations are a good way to insult and alienate people, even if they would probably agree with what your are purportedly in favour of (education is good, I agree... and I've always found myself aligning myself with you and the other pro-education members of this forum), and you may want to consider avoiding such things, especially if you want people to take your advocacy seriously.

In short - since it seems you don't bother reading what I message you before posting it with a weak retort - being unpleasant won't get you anywhere.

And now, if you want to continue this, why don't we do so by PM, so as not to interupt those of us who just want to laugh - in the humour section - with this ridiculously stupid argument.