Dui????

ImCubanB

Forum Probie
My twin brother has just graduated from medic school, celebrated that night and got a DUI. Now hes worried sick about never being able to be a medic with a dui on his record? Is he completly doomed?Anyone know someone this happened to?:unsure: Need answers.. thanks fellas..

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
He may still be able to be a Paramedic, just not work as one...

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I know Pennsylvania has specific laws regarding EMS personnel and DUI.. I cant recall exactly off the top of my head those laws but check with your states EMS office or EMS Act.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I think it's going to be nearly impossible to get a job with a DUI.

Why does he deserve a job? I don't want a guy who can't handle drinking responsibly working on my when my life is on the line.

You're going to give me a hundred excuses, but a DUI is simply unacceptable

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer. I am merely pointing out things I have heard (wink* cough*)

Let me throw a monkey wrench into this.

Arrested doesn't mean convicted. Wherever he got his DWI/DUI have him contact the prosecuotrs office. If it was a simple deal ( no accident, didn't fight with cops etc) and it CAN be burried. He can plead guily to a lesser crime (defective muffler) and get probation and pay a higher fine.

If it is NOT on his criminal record he can still get an EMS Job. However, the adminstrative part ( Drivers License) will still have to run it's course.

All is not lost.

I will add..........he should not have been driving and the headache would not be there.

Last edited by a moderator:

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
MMiz... thatz alittle harsh dont ya think? It should take more then a single temporary lapse in judgement to bar someone for a lifetime from a career. Just my opinion.

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
My squad doesn't allow anyone with a criminal record to be an officer, period. You can still be a member though.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Don't forget..... if he doesn't get convicted, he doesn't get a record.

I am not saying it is right, but it happens. Heck.....we all know OJ was innocent of his charges right.......................:)

I am not comparing DWI with Homicide, just the system. It is not the "perfect" system, but it is the best in the world.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
ResTech said:
MMiz... thatz alittle harsh dont ya think? It should take more then a single temporary lapse in judgement to bar someone for a lifetime from a career. Just my opinion.
So what happens if he would have killed someone? Blame it on a "temporary lapse in judgement"?

Sorry, I agree with MMiz. DUI = no job. He just finished medic school. He should have known better.

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
As an EMS personnel I can tell you one thing, I am constantly bashing about how stupid drunk drivers are, etc.

Being in the EMS field and being a drunk driver yourself, well that's a bit contradictary. He shouldn't be helping people, he is the patient!

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
MMiz said:
I think it's going to be nearly impossible to get a job with a DUI.

Why does he deserve a job? I don't want a guy who can't handle drinking responsibly working on my when my life is on the line.

You're going to give me a hundred excuses, but a DUI is simply unacceptable

I tend to agree, with the part of D.U.I. being unacceptable. Especially for someone in the life-saving profession...

But I disagree with the statement that they won't be able to get a job. They go way too easy on D.U.I. offenders. I'm sure that if it isn't something recent, they won't have much trouble.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Part of our medic responibilities is also EVOC, so anyone hired with my service has to be able to drive. If & when convicted, our insurance does not allow DUI's.. some services are self insured that does..

R/r 911

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
ResTech said:

I had a real passionate response typed out... but I don't want to divide the forum.

We all make choices, and there are always consequences for those choices. I take consequences into consideration before I make my choices. I would only hope others would do the same.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
PA has VERY strict laws about Ambulance staff driving with DUI's... I think the law is that you can't drive EMS vehicle at least 2 years after a DUI...possibly 2 years after you get your license back.

Any DUI convictions, like any other convictions, must be reported to the State DOH.

RebelRescue

Forum Probie
Chimpie said:
So what happens if he would have killed someone? Blame it on a "temporary lapse in judgement"?

Sorry, I agree with MMiz. DUI = no job. He just finished medic school. He should have known better.

I completely agree.In Louisiana you could get certified but no one would ever hire you and rightly so IMO.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Im very passionate about DUI's the same as other's but lI dont think personal feelings should get in the way of practicality and deciding if someone should be a paramedic or not. The fact is he didnt kill anybody so thatz not the issue.. the law doesnt play 101 what ifs.. its the crime at hand so-to-speak. Was it irresponsible.. yes.. very... but that doesnt negate or take away from his ability to provide patient care. Least not in my opinion. If he is having trouble with alcoholism, coming to work with alcohol on his breath then we have a problem. I feel safe in saying that in an isolated case the person is going to LEARN the lesson. We ALL make mistakes even as para-God professionals.. nobody is perfect and all deserve second chances... Again, just my 0.2$

Last edited by a moderator:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
ResTech said:
Im very passionate about DUI's the same as other's but lI dont think personal feelings should get in the way of practicality and deciding if someone should be a paramedic or not. The fact is he didnt kill anybody so thatz not the issue.. the law doesnt play 101 what ifs.. its the crime at hand so-to-speak. Was it irresponsible.. yes.. very... but that doesnt negate or take away from his ability to provide patient care. Least not in my opinion. If he is having trouble with alcoholism, coming to work with alcohol on his breath then we have a problem. I feel safe in saying that in an isolated case the person is going to LEARN the lesson. We ALL make mistakes even as para-God professionals.. nobody is perfect and all deserve second chances... Again, just my 0.2$

Would you allow a convicted thief to work as a bank teller?

What about letting someone convicted of animal cruelty work in an animal shelter?

Would you let a pedophile work as a school bus driver?

EMS is all about making quick decisions, that often have a profound impact on a patient's wellbeing. While not all private EMS companies have psych evaluations for the new hires, I know most police departments and fire departments have new hires take tests and be evaluated. Why should EMS be any different?

I agree, people make absolutely horrible decisions sometimes.

I had a patient not much older than myself that will spend much of his life in jail because he decided to drink and drive... and killed a grandmother of 20. Not only was I there when she was called on scene, but I transported him to the hospital.

What about the new FF who just graduated from the academy and was speeding when he slammed into a cop car killing the cop?

People make choices all the time. Someone choosing to drive drunk is like me going around with a loaded gun randomly pulling the trigger. Sure, the person may get home safely most of the time, but damn does it hurt when someone dies.

Quite simply, I don't want someone that has no concept of responsibility working on me as a patient or driving me to the hospital.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I respect your strong convictions.. I really do. But I think crimes of moral turpitude that you give as examples indicate mistrust, deceit, and violence that has a direct effect and greater risk of harming the public that entrust us to come to their aid then someone who was at a party one night and had a bit much to drink. Honestly, if someone is like me who rarely ever drinks... it would be quite easy to get caught for DUI by being just a "bit" over the legal limit. Cause I really dont know what my alcohol limit is. And perhaps that was the case at hand. Should we blanket policy every single case in terms of EMS hire? Maybe we should. Im just posing the question. Personally though if I was the EMS officer, I would look at circumstance and other character background and references and not just look at the DUI as a big black mark of when someone messed up.

Im getting the impression that if a person is caught for DUI they should be barred from EMS for life? Is that what your saying? And a psych eval isnt going to prevent someone at a party from drinking and making a bad decision. Itz not the crazies that get DUI's. Itz sometimes good, wholehearted, professional ppl that get caught up, lose track, or whatever. And Im not advocating ease of punishment within the justice system. They should be hammered. However, when they do their time, pay the fine, and whatever else is ordered then why shouldnt that be forgiven during an isolated case? If its two, three, or four DUI's, ok.. we have a problem now. But a one time deal .... give the dude a job after his time/fine or whatever is served.. he worked his *** off to get through the program Im sure. And I truely believe in disciplinary step procedures which this case would be applicable to that.

Should a doctor that gets caught for DUI be barred from practice? How about if a lawyer that prosecutes DUI cases gets caught? Thatz not right. I believe in reaching out to the person and helping them instead of automatically ruining a dream or career. What would have the greater positive impact? Barring a paramedic or EMT because of an isolated DUI or helping them go on and never make the same mistake again and have them touch countless lives in the field and support their family?

Believe me, I know first hand about life and mistakes that get made and I'll be the first to stand accused for mistakes in my own. But remorse and taking personal accountability for ones actions is very important and shows alot about character.

Not trying to persuade but think this all needs to be considered.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
PA -

If convicted of DUI - 4 years from date of suspension
If convicted and license suspended for other reasons reckless driving, or for DUI, but given the "accelerated Rehabilitation disposition - no conviction) - 2 years s/p suspension.

All must sucessfully complete an EVOC course again after time is up.

http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/health/lib/health/ems/emsib_12.pdf

Jon