Dui????

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Restech,

No, I don't think he should be barred for life. But I agree with the PA style of ruling, several years of time off to think about your decisions.

As MMiz said, this is about responsibility. He decided to drink past his limit for proper judgement, got into a car and drove. That's not being responsible, especially after just going through his clinicals and ride-alongs, knowing what the results are from DUIs.

I will say, however, that I am a compasionate guy and I do feel that if this is the first time this guy has ever been in trouble, then with a little bit of community service maybe he should be allowed to work for a dept/agency. If I was your brother ImCubanB, I would be already talking to the prosecutor, finding out what I can do to get back on track. DUI classes, doing some kind of community services, whatever it took.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
ResTech said:
MMiz... thatz alittle harsh dont ya think? It should take more then a single temporary lapse in judgement to bar someone for a lifetime from a career. Just my opinion.

Not too harsh at all. I sincerely doubt it was a single temporary lapse in judgement. Sounds more like it was premeditated drinking and driving.

He knew he was going to go out to celebrate his graduation. He knew he was going to be drinking. He failed to make other arrangements to get transportation home. He decided he would go get drunk and then drive himself home. Thats not temporary, and I would be willing to bet this wasn't his FIRST time. He just got caught this time.

Should he never be allowed to work as a paramedic, on the road? I won't go that harsh. But should he be allowed to work anytime soon? No way! He should have to prove he deserves to get his liscense back and has changed his attitude towards drinking and driving.

I don't think it should prevent him from testing and obtaining his liscense. There are plenty of other jobs he can do that don't require the responsiblity of driving. He can tech in an ER.

Our service pulls driving records. A DUI in the last 10 years prevents them from hiring the person.

Wherever he got his DWI/DUI have him contact the prosecuotrs office. If it was a simple deal ( no accident, didn't fight with cops etc) and it CAN be burried. He can plead guily to a lesser crime (defective muffler) and get probation and pay a higher fine.

So that makes sense. Tell him how to get out of it, so all he learns is how driving drunk is no big deal. He pays his "defective muffler" fine, and heads out to celebrate his beating the system. Sure hope he doesn't kill a family of 4 this time. But hey, at least he beat the first DUI.

He can always take it to trial. A good lawyer will challenge the breathalyzer, the cop administering, any cops that where there, even that it actually happened....he might get 6 people to let him off.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
The biggest problem I see is even if it was his first "bad thing" or a lapse in judgement, it's a big one. And it is comprable to homicide because we all know that most DUI's end up in someone being hurt or killed. As a layperson he knows better and as a paramedic he knows all the consequences. This is a big deal and the only thing he can do is accept responsibility and beg, plead, do whatever it takes to prove he wouldn't make this kind of decision again. Allowing yourself to drive drunk shows a blantant disregard for life (your own and others) and he will be asking his possible future employers to put other people's lives in his hands. I don't see how they would hire him without him putting in a huge effort to redeem himself.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Was this the first time he actually drank and drove, or the first time he got caught at it????

I agree with MMiz in the fact that it's all about personal choices, and the consequences of those choices.

OP
OP
ImCubanB

ImCubanB

Forum Probie
Might I add that my brother is the biggest nerd I know and has never been in trouble in his whole life. He did not know his limit and it was a temporary lapse in judgement. I hope he pulls thru it. Anymore responses will be greatly appriciated. Thanks again for your opinions.. keep em coming....:wacko:

emtkelley

Forum Crew Member
Several years before I became an EMT, I was arrested for DUI. I did my classes and other requirements for the court and got my license back. It was never an issue once I became an EMT and I was always very upfront with my prospective employers abut the DUI, in case it showed up on my record. I would think that he may have to lay low for a few years, do his requirements and let this thing pass and then try for a job. If I were him, I would keep up on my CEU's, ect. and wait for a few years to pass before applying for a job in EMS. I know in IL, the charge drops off the record either at 7 or 9 years. It is still important to tell his prospective employers about the DUI or they could term him for witholding information. There is also an insurance issue as well with services. He may want to ask around about this and see what his options will be, that is if he is convicted.

I don't condone drunk driving and I indeed made a terrible mistake when I chose to do so. I am sure your brother is feeling the same way and will continue to kick himself everytime it comes back to haunt him. He will have to pay for this mistake for years to come in regards to EMS but hopefully he will be able to come back to the profession he has trained for.

Amazing how one night and bad judgement can totally change a person's life.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
In PA, the state "Could" yank the cert... dosen't happen for "smaller" stuff like this (Murder/Child Abuse / Rape - different).

There are places that will hire medics who can't drive... I've worked for one.