Drugs to know

SCCOemt

Forum Ride Along
Starting my first job as an EMT-B. I was wondering what are some good drugs to be aware of?

For example: Unwittnessed falls and Blood thinners (Coumadin, Plavix, Aspirin)

What are some other medications I should be aware of?

Av8or007

Forum Lieutenant
Beta blockers - for med hx as well as tge fact that they block compensatory tachycardia. HR will not increase in shock states compared to a pt not on beta blockers.

Phosphodiesterase inhibitors - these plus nitro can cause a dangerous and possibly lethal drop in blood pressure.

BP meds such as ACE inhibitors or ARB's (angiotensin receptor blockers) - help you attain pmhx when pt can't tell you what their hx is.

Diabetic meds and insulins - for PMHx purposes.

Anti-epileptic, anti-Parkinson's and other neuro drugs - help you narrow down DDx. For altered mental status or other neuro issues.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Anticoagulants are a good one for possible head injuries.

Beta blockers (Metoprolol, Atenolol, Propranolol, Labetolol) can inhibit a compensatory tachycardia.

Your best bet is to just start learning what medications are for and how they work. For every patient you transport, pick one of their medications and look it up. Learn why it's prescribed. Learn its mechanism. Eventually you'll start getting repeaters and you'll start to notice connections or trends (ie lisinopril, furosemide, and potassium are a very common CHF cocktail). The more you learn about each medication, the more you'll be able to tell about a patient's medical history, which is incredibly beneficial for the poor historians.

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
Your best bet is to just start learning what medications are for and how they work. For every patient you transport, pick one of their medications and look it up. Learn why it's prescribed. Learn its mechanism. Eventually you'll start getting repeaters and you'll start to notice connections or trends (ie lisinopril, furosemide, and potassium are a very common CHF cocktail). The more you learn about each medication, the more you'll be able to tell about a patient's medical history, which is incredibly beneficial for the poor historians.

Largely that, though I'll note that for my learning style, I'm better off doing repetitions of a light hit of information to memorize it. I'd recommend getting a good drug ref app for your phone (my preference is towards epocrates), look up what every med each pt is on is prescribed for until the next time you see that med you just know what it's for, then start looking up the MoA.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I have Epocrates but more often than not I end up googling something I don't know. Epocrates always seems to decide to update itself at the most inconvenient times.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Yup. Google or micromedix. Epocrates always has to update when I need it.

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
What can I say, I'm old-ish, back when I needed a drug ref on a regular basis, I used epocrates on my palm pilot, the notion of constant connectivity was, well, not completely unknown, but certainly outside of the wallet of a basic.

Now I want to go yell at some kids, something about a yard. Oh well, at least I'm not so old I had to carry a dead tree around.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

This.

Learn the major common classes (beta blockers, ACEI/ARB, Ca-blockers, diuretics, psychotics, etc.), basically how they work, and what they are prescribed for. Then look up every drug you don't know. Pretty soon you'll recognize which drug is in which class, therefore have a good idea why it was prescribed.

I have epocrates and micromedex on my phone for this purpose. I still have to look them up frequently. A large part of what makes learning drugs hard is that there are so many brand names for some drugs.

takl23

Forum Crew Member
I love micromedx it's cheap like $1.99 and so far it has every drug I've wanted to look up. The drugs people have listed are good to start with.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Digoxin/digitalis, warfarin and the other anticoagulants/antiplatelets, and the various insulin names.

These top the list of drug-related emergency complaints. Know 'em by sight.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Pradaxa (dabigatran etexilate) causing GI bleeds either end or in the middle or all three.

rugbyguy

Forum Crew Member
All of these are really good about learning about medications that patients commonly take.

Also for me, I learn all the drugs we stock on the ambo, even if they aren't in my scope. Learn indications, contraindications, mechanism of action, side effects, all of that. It will make you a better basic to your medics, and will help you once you choose to go to medic school.

Chupathangy

Forum Crew Member
That's a great list to begin with. I got a little confused though. I looked down the GI list and was thinking, "wow, that's a lot of beta blockers." Then I realized I was looking at the heart health section.

eastman

Forum Probie
watchout for people on heroin they may pose as someone with a legitimate emergency. all they need is some narcan and a swift kick in the ***

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I don't care where you live. Drug addicts have a problem, and it's not your place to judge. You should treat every patient with the respect you'd like your family members treated with.

Now, back on the topic of prescription drugs for an EMT-B to be aware of.