Drug screening? Adderall as Cocain?

exitloy

Forum Probie
So, i got an interview and it honestly couldnt have gone better in my mind. The man at the front i had a conversation/******** with and turned out he knew my family and grew up on the same street with my dad, and this the girl who interviewed me was his daugher, a girl around my age, which we got along very well and had a few laughs. I didnt know the man at the front was the owner, and the woman who interviewed me at the end was his daughter til the end, which made me feel like i for sure left a great impression on them.

So, the only thing i can think of that went wrong is the drug screening. Not in the sense that i actually showed up for substances (because theres a 0% chance i show up for any drug, i simply do not do them.)

BUT, Is there something prohibiting employement for EMTs who take prescribed adderall for ADHD that i dont know about? I did some research and seen that it can also show up as cocain (great they think im some cocain addict lol oh boyyy)

On the job application there was no request for any medications or health issues, its just really itching me how i didn't get this job when i know someone who works there and says they are in desperate need of EMTs along with the fact my interview went so well (it was almost as if i had the job already and more talking what i would be doing/orientation coming up ect)

Anyway, im sure theres always that chance that i just didnt get chosen over the other applicants, which is possible, but i feel like was highly unlikely given my good work backround and interview.

This is the only major ambulance service in my area, and im pretty bummed that i finish my EMT and just want to work before paramedic and i cant even get a job.

How long to wait for resubmitting and application?

Thanks to anyone who can give feedback! :)

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Exitloy, maybe you should ask them -- nicely -- why you didn't get the job. Perhaps they'll give you an answer that is both honest and helpful.

OP
OP
E

exitloy

Forum Probie
Exitloy, maybe you should ask them -- nicely -- why you didn't get the job. Perhaps they'll give you an answer that is both honest and helpful.

i think that may be my best option. The only reason i havent done that, is at the interview she said, oh by the way dont call me 10 minutes after, and every day after seeing if you got the job (in a joking manner) and i said oh no i wont, maybe once for professionalism and she responded yes thats fine, we just get a lot of people that blow our place up after they get an interview.

kinda made me not want to come off as one of those people she talked about.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Aderall will not show as cocaine.

If there is an abnormal finding on your drug screen, you get a phone call from the MRO (medical review officer) or their delegate (sometimes a RN) at the lab to eliminate sources of error such as a valid prescription. This is done prior to the lab reporting that there is a concerning to an employer/potential employer.

I'd phrase it more like, "hey I'm still really interested in working for you. What can I do to receive better consideration if I apply again?"

OP
OP
E

exitloy

Forum Probie

If there is an abnormal finding on your drug screen, you get a phone call from the MRO (medical review officer) or their delegate (sometimes a RN) at the lab to eliminate sources of error such as a valid prescription. This is done prior to the lab reporting that there is a concerning to an employer/potential employer.

I'd phrase it more like, "hey I'm still really interested in working for you. What can I do to receive better consideration if I apply again?"

Are you sure? Because i even called the establishment that did the Drug test and explained to them, and they only said "We cannot reveil any information about your drug test as it was payed for by the employer."

My adderall should've showed up on the test right? So why didn't i get a call verifying it.

Summit

Critical Crazy
I am sure. How long has it been? It can take 4 days or it can 4 weeks. Or the test failed to detect.

OP
OP
E

exitloy

Forum Probie
i took the test on the 28th, and the orientation after hire was today on the fourth so im not sure why she would have me take it if it was going to take longer than date than the time of orientation.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Exitloy, there wasn't much time between the 28th and the 4th. Maybe a decision hasn't been made yet. The more you tell us about this, the more I think you should just call them and ask about your status so you can stop wondering. If they give you a hard time for following up...well, you're probably better off not working for people like that.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Right, because it's an amphetamine, so it's more likely to show up as speed
Not always.... if it's pass or fail, the results are sent back to the company, provided nothing that would explain the results was filled out on the paperwork. It depends on the company.
i took the test on the 28th, and the orientation after hire was today on the fourth so im not sure why she would have me take it if it was going to take longer than date than the time of orientation.
7 days from the test day to orientation? sounds fishy.... If you were already working, how would you be able to give your current employer two weeks notice?

Most hiring processes are notoriously slow. between the interviews, then maybe a second interview, background check, drug check, reference check, the process can take a few weeks until the offer is made, and even then a couple days to accept it, and then give two weeks notice to your current employer. having it take a month from the time you interview until the time you start isn't uncommon.

Be patient, wait a month, and if you don't hear anything, then follow up. You might be in the next orientation, which would make more sense than 7 days from interview to start time.

Many years ago I interviewed for a fire department in the MD/VA area, who wanted me to come down for their interviews and tests on a Friday, and if accepted, be in the academy the following Monday. When I mentioned that it wouldn't allow me to give my current employer proper notice, and might result in me leaving on bad terms, the response I received was "your going to be here for the rest of your career.... does it really matter if you end up on bad terms with your former employer?" Suffice it to say, I took that as a warning sign, and passed on that department.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Adderall will result as a positive "Amphetamine" on a rapid drug screen and then is usually sent off for panel which specifies which type. That can take a couple days after the initial results of the drug test.

Did you disclose you take Adderall on the drug test form?