Driving as a Basic without knowing area

msynister

Forum Ride Along
So I just completed my EMT-Basic course and currently go to school. I'm looking to get my advanced certification soon but in the mean time I am interested in applying for a job at a local ambulance company that will hire EMT-Basics. I am an out of state student and don't know the area very well. I was wondering how severely this would affect my chances of getting the job. How crucial is it to know the area you will be driving as a basic?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Being able to reading a map >> knowing the area. My initial "response" area was several hundred square miles of suburban sprawl. Do you think I knew my "response area" when I started?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If you can read maps then there normally isn't an issue. Most companies have some sort of training time where learning key parts of the area are apart of it (not every company has this).

Heck my interview for my job was the first time I ever went to that area. I didn't even know the hospitals there.

Anonymous

Forum Captain
Being able to reading a map >> knowing the area. My initial "response" area was several hundred square miles of suburban sprawl. Do you think I knew my "response area" when I started?

If you can read maps then there normally isn't an issue. Most companies have some sort of training time where learning key parts of the area are apart of it (not every company has this).

Heck my interview for my job was the first time I ever went to that area. I didn't even know the hospitals there.

What these guys have said...

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
So I just completed my EMT-Basic course and currently go to school. I'm looking to get my advanced certification soon but in the mean time I am interested in applying for a job at a local ambulance company that will hire EMT-Basics. I am an out of state student and don't know the area very well. I was wondering how severely this would affect my chances of getting the job. How crucial is it to know the area you will be driving as a basic?

You learn as you go...get lost a couple times...take the long way to the hospital once...then you start to get it. Not many people are blessed with pristine knowledge of their service area when they first start out.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
You'll learn it eventually. Be good with map books and figuring a route. Personal GPS or use what the company issues if needed.

Most of our new, non local Basics spend a little time on BLS trucks as that is a fast way to learn the hospitals and how to get around the city without the stress of emergency driving.

Easternemt

Forum Crew Member

This was my first concern when I applied for an Emt position at a local ambulance service. I applied anyway and got an interview. During the interview I mentioned my concern about not knowing the area very well and the interviewer stated there's plenty of new out of state EMT's that come and are taught how to read a map and use the GPS on the rig. Luckily this company requires new EMT's to go through a mapping course provided by the company. Perhaps the companies around you offer the same? I say go for it and don't let it stress you out or hold you back from applying (that was the case for me lol).

Good luck! :)

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Familarize yourself with your primary area

read a map.

know how to travel using a map.

get a GPS.

Use a GPS as a backup.