Drink Driving Commercials

Which is more effective?

• Total voters

imurphy

Forum Captain
Well I've been over here a few months, and one thing I've thought of as strange are the drunk driving ads over here. Back home, our commercials for road safety, speeding, and drunk driving are a lot more effective and graphic. They have really woken people up to the dangers, as opposed to the ads I've seen over here which really seem to make a joke out of it, such as the guy driving in the car full of beer and being pulled over.

So my question; Which do you think are most effective? The Ireland and UK ads or the US counterparts.

BIG BIG WARNING: I've added the commercials as links. These are real ads that have been broadcast for years on Irish TV and are VERY graphic. Viewer discretion advised.

US Ads
Buzzed Driving - House Party
Buzzed Driving - Ambulance
Over the Limit, Under Arrest

Irish and UK ads
Pay Attention
Wear a Seatbelt
Rear Seatbelts
Could You live with the shame?
Slow Down Boys

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I posted the UK and Irish ads a few years ago on many EMS forums. As I previously described it is a shame that U.S. is not as aggressive. Especially since the younger culture has became accustomed to less subtle techniques.

I believe the U.K type has more "shock" value and makes one more aware of the horrible effects and outcomes. Shame, that no sponsor will endorse such. As well, the producers of the U.K. has won several awards for their representation. One problem though, I doubt the site for the U.K. ads will be available very long, they are very self protective and usually do not allow displays such as on Youtube very long.

R/r 911

Epi-do

I see dead people
I definately think the ads from across the pond are much more effective. I had actually seen all but the last one that you posted. US ad campaigns are pretty lame.

be_THE_B

Forum Ride Along
The UK ads, I agree, are a lot more effective than the US. Those commercials, lets face it, are scary. Compared to our nice little ones here which don't get the point across.

FireStrut

Forum Crew Member
Great adds I like those from Ireland and the UK.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
US commercials are oatmeal-bland, seemingly in the name of political correctness and making sure no one is offended. (Probably the same thing, but I choose to rant the way I want too...lol) A real shame. I make sure that my boys and their friends see the UK versions to make sure the points are made.

Last edited by a moderator:

jochi1543

Forum Captain
My only gripe is why does half of those ads feature teenagers making out? You'd think it was a straight-to-DVD slasher flick.

OP
OP
imurphy

imurphy

Forum Captain
Well it's the way teenagers are, and the target audience is the younger drivers really!